Indy car and IMS Now Available

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by 88mphTim, May 24, 2014.

1. speed1

speed1 Banned

Honestly I wouldn't like to compare at all.

I just rate the characteristic of the car as I understand it but do not compare and it is not to say there's something not right, and as previously mentioned I can not judge.

Therefore you will always only read my personal impression and findings and how I do connect it with the technology as far as I know this.

However, the content is awesome. ;)

2. boxer

boxer Registered

ISI team did excellent job on these... from the cars/track(s) and sounds... they are a lot fun to drive.

Agree that a few more markers like ads would help speed up the learning of the RC.

For some reason I didn’t think I was going to like the 2014 GP layout but the last bit is a blast.

This is Top quality:D

3. Carlo

Carlo Registered

Well, I was a bit disappointed with the 3.5, but I can't say the same with here. I have just one comment. Outstanding! Everything on max and runs smooth as silk (11 AI). Tim also deserves kudos and a shout-out for the well written profiles.

Some people have complained that there may be too much grip. I have the opposite problem - can't seem to keep my car planted (see attached). Any pointers?

View attachment 12905

4. Black Dice

Black Dice Registered

5. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

That's an odd one. What circumstances? Player or AI car? What car related detail setting?

Sent using Tapatalk

6. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Although I've always said that graphics isn't my biggest concern as long as they are at a decent acceptable level
    ( high fps and seamless/smoothness always more important )

the graphics on this track not only look nice, but really add to the sim immersion,

I think it's mainly down to the visual track surface really shows motion and speed like I've never previously seen in a sim
    thus I guess graphical touches like this do play an important factor

+also the walls close at the side help too a nature of this track type

7. Empty Box

Empty Box Registered

I'm going to say it and you guys will hate me for it : the oval in the DW12 is just bad.

No weight jacker. (which is probably one of the most important in car adjustments in any car anywhere for this car on an oval - then again Diff adjustments in an F1 car are pretty big and of course we don't have those either here!)
    No fuel mapping options (which is why no one wants to lead at Indy in this car)
    Setups that are entirely wrong by default and alternate setup is as well (in race trim you should be using 5th gear by yourself, 6th in the draft - this is pretty much the standard config in Indycar, I'm not sure why the sets don't mirror this)
    Car is a good bit too fast for race trim. (like it's stuck on qualifying boost - 240 into T1 in the draft here - I'll be watching to see if anyone hits 230 in the draft IRL.)

On the plus side, the draft seems massive, as it should. I do think though that once again there isn't enough instability from trailing another car though.

And now, for the worst of the worst :
    The track races entirely wrong thanks to real road being so accelerated. Have you ever seen someone running 3 lanes off the bottom at Indy and not smacking the wall or shedding 20 MPH? Yea, neither have I until rF2. Flat. Out. Wrong. Real road not working at a normal pace has well and truly ruined this combo, it's not exciting at all. When I go into T1 in the iRacing version, I get a feel for just how narrow of a window turn in is, just how easy it is to put it in the wall. Here the track is basically Tilke-wide. I guarantee you in the race today someone will get out of the grip and end up in the wall in T1 today, in rF2 you almost have to steer into it - you can always just crank more wheel in and because there is always grip out there thanks to the acceleration, no issue. It's better offline than online, that is for sure. (sure enough, lap 1 Briscoe ends up way wide, way slow and ends up hitting another car to avoid the wall in T2 on the first lap of the race.)

As well as thanks to real road (or physics) it's very possible to get ludicrous amounts of sideways and save it on the oval. This yet again flies back in the face of years upon years of what everyone who pays attention to Indy has seen. Flies in the face of what Kurt Busch would vouch for as well, I am sure. :eek:

After spending the week in the iRacing version of this same combo, it's not even close to a contest, that version is leaps and bounds ahead. Maybe I'm being harsh on it because the iRacing version of that experience is IMHO superior, maybe it's because I love indycars that much, maybe it's because I'm an ass who is willing to put things perhaps too bluntly, but the DW12 on the oval was just wrong. I would equate the experience there to something like Forza. Let the hate commence.

As for the road course version, which is arguably the more important of the two for rF2:

It's pretty good. Pretty good setups, stable car that can be nicely balanced on the power. Better low speed FFB feel compared to past open wheelers on the normal level of wheels - non servo stuff. I do think that the FR3.5 2014 is a more engaging experience that has better nuances though.

However...

...I almost am never that guy, but today is the day...

...this car does seem like it has a bit too much rear grip. It could be setup related admittedly - or possibly even because we have weak wheels and they have no power steering, but when you watch these cars in the real world you do see the drivers work a lot more. Just seems a bit easy to put the power down.

Circuit wise it's all fairly good, though rF2's lighting makes everything look very weird. Hopefully the lighting will be refined as we go, be it through HDR tweaks or the track lighting itself. Lots of contrast.

Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2014
  8. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

could it be the setup then ?

setups with more realistic grip levels but are as fast as someone using these ultra grip setups?

I reduced the wings down as far as they could go whilst still maintaining in the 1.10's/109's on the 2014 road gp but it still felt planted like I could throw it a round with zero respect

surely it's more than a setup issue, it like min brake help & min traction control (or more than min) are hard coded into the sim car

again these aids are included in rfactor 2 for those that want to use them etc

p.s again this is great content, just trying to give constructive feedback I hope these things will be included in the maintenance tweeks/update you mentioned

these cars are fantastic for a 1st & "rushed" release

they look totally phenomenal too

9. Black Dice

Black Dice Registered

I mentioned earlier. Tire pressures are too low and cant go high enough. No weight jacker is a huge issue I agree. Also pressures need to be staggered for oval config. Im sure these thing will be rectified.
    233 is my top speed for testing. No draft of course. Same in iracing. FYI. That is with my own config. Almost same as "racey" ISI set.

10. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Empty Box

I don't think I'm in the know as much as you re.Indy (it's new to me)
    I do agree with you on the planted/grip level of the rf2 version.

comparing to Iracing, I do have the Indy track + the Indy car (not their latest) so I know I'm not comparing like for like,
    after about 4 hrs on the rf2 version I loaded up Iracings Indianapolis + their Indy car,
    Iracing like ISI does (IMO ) very good ffb, the 2 companies have different approaches which makes it difficult to switch,

if your use to the Iracing versions then it will take time to appreciate the rf2 version
    I switched the Iracing version off after 15mins and returned to the rf2 version, not because I think the iracing versionis bad but don't really need to adapt
    (or jump between the two),

I do prefer rf2's ffb too once it's dialled in nicely (a bit more hassle than iracings but the effort is well worth it)
    whilst iracings ffb is of good quality there's so much more going on in rfactor 2's ffb.

Tims vid (on YouTube) of the track real world-rf2 shows a very good match (IMO ), also the laser scanned Iracing version dosnt show much character in the road surface -bumps etc so not much missing there

you've been on the Iracing version for the last week (perhaps practicing competitively for the Indy 500 event?) so adapting in such a small space of time isn't going to happen, had it been the other way round (you'd been on the rf2's version for the last week I think you'd be saying the opposite

I think this is one of the main reasons some reviews & opinions are out of tune
    with reality

11. William David Marsh

William David Marsh Registered

I am really enjoying the car, but I just have one minor gripe. I've noticed the front end is modeled incorrectly...

http://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/830...47685003-USP-IndyCar-Indianapolis-500-003.jpg

http://rfactor.net/web/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/rfactor2_indy_oval_indycar_bourdais05.jpg

From what I've seen, the front wing drops off way more than the real car, as the road wing does

http://rfactor.net/web/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/rfactor2_indy_rc14_indycar_bourdais02.jpg

http://digbza2f4g9qo.cloudfront.net...urse-LongBeach-Std.jpg?vs=1&d=20140412T174030

Sorry to be nitpicky, just trying to be a little costructive :)

EDIT: Links fixed and updated to reflect 2014 cars, I still feel my point stands.

12. Empty Box

Empty Box Registered

Nonsense on that point. I hopped in the FR3.5 2014 and had a blast right from the get go, there was no adjustment period. Especially on a smooth oval where FFB isn't important. Many top oval guys even prefer to run with FFB off it's that meaningless. I switch sims enough that I don't have a real adjustment period, I pretty much can hop in and go and I know what to expect from what sim.

There is nothing I mentioned above that can be explained by lack of time or adjustment besides the setup. Even with a wrongly set gearbox the car is way too fast down the straight (I imagine with proper gearing 245 should be possible, a full 12-15 MPH too fast for race trim), it doesn't have a critical adjustment, real road makes a complete mockery of the oval and you can get so sideways you almost have to wonder how anyone could ever wreck if they were actually trying.

13. Rony1984

Rony1984 Registered

To me it feels more or less the same:) I do very much like the way the tires grip and loose grip, the car is extremely drivable, but just the overall amount of grip is slightly too high IMO. Thanks for your comments EB. I haven't played Iracing for ages myself, so can't compare, but it's an interesting read.

14. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Having driven countless hours on the iRacing Indy oval in the DW12 I must say I greatly prefer that to the rF2 oval/DW12 combo.
    It feels a lot more refined. Something about the rF2 car just feels wrong around the oval. Hard to explain...
    I hate how I can just crank the wheel as much as I like, and it just scrubs off speed. No unsettling the car at all. It feels numb.

I know I often come across as an ISI fanboy, but I am completely aware that this product and its content isn't perfect.
    On the oval side there is room for improvement of course.

Matt sure has a point. But then again ISI have said all along that this would be a straight up content release.
    Weight jacker, fuel mappings and three wide starts will be in one of the next builds I'm sure.

But hey, it was a really fast release, we were all begging for it, and "our" version of both the car and the track will be greatly refined in the upcoming updates.
    On the road course side, the Indy Car is vastly superior to anything iRacing has to offer, as usual. Nowhere else do you get that much feedback on what the car is doing when racing it.
    High speed grip feels amazing (for lack of a better word) and low speed force feedback has been improved in a big way. I always know what the car is doing beneath me. In iRacing, not so much.

Just my fitty cents ...:)

15. panande

panande Registered

View attachment 12890 View attachment 12891
    These two pics (Sorry for the bad quality) show a texture error that seems to occur when using the track cameras.
    The airbox and the fuel inlet are transparent and so are the brakediscs and the suspension from certain angles. No errors in any other camera positions though.
    View attachment 12892
    An onboard camera like this would also be nice to have, in the next patch ^^

16. f4f4wildcat

f4f4wildcat Registered

Just did a few laps, great car, great track !!

17. Twista

Twista Registered

I've seen this mentioned around a few times on various sites, might be something for ISI to look into but I personally can't see any difference.

18. Black Dice

Black Dice Registered

Great battle at the end between Helio and RHR.

19. buzard

buzard Registered

I'm seeing a reflection of my car down the front straight on a dry track. No where else.

20. Golanv

Golanv Registered

If all of this is true, its very disappointing... I was really hoping for an experience as realistic as possible in sims to date, since oval is just boring beyond belief without all the intricacies which makes the whole sport what it is.

The end of the race was really good though, really good call with the redflag at lap 9.