SOLVED T500 F1 wheel missing shifts

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by baked bean, May 23, 2014.

1. baked bean

baked bean Registered

For a few months now I've had this problem where I would randomly miss shifts, it could be up or down shifts and sometimes it would double shift too which would end in spins when it happened whilst going down through the gears. I changed a plr setting to stop the double shifting, that solved part of the problem, but sadly not all.
    Basically i stopped using it and even took it apart to try and solve the problem but could not get to the inner gubbings of the paddles to see what was the cause, so put it back together and left it on the shelf and didnt drive the ow cars.

Then came the new car from isi, the FR3.5, and i thought to myself i got to fix this thing, i was more determined than ever lol so what i did is put some pressure on the paddles so to bend them away from the back of the wheel, which kinda helped because it stopped me missing down shifts, but still kept missing up shifts, but it wasn't as bad as before, but then whilst i was driving round Silverstone all of a sudden the paddle felt strange and loose and i couldn't shift down what so ever no matter how much pressure i put on it. After a quick look I noticed that the spring behind the paddle had fallen out of the bit where the button thingy is but it was still attached to the back of the paddle.

What seems to have happened through wear and tear other time is ive been slowly bending them towards the back of the rim at the same time compressing the springs making them smaller so when i bent them back the springs no longer fit properly and its the springs what push the button on the back of the rim to change gear not the paddles. Any way i took them out and got two flat head screw drivers and stretched each one to maybe an inch, just over, and put them back in and hey presto, i have not missed a shift since. :D

Maybe i was to heavy handed with them, i did use it a lot as it works well with the Megane and GT cars too, except the 370Z. But im glad to have sorted it now, maybe someone else has had this problem, and this post helps them i hope, now or in future. :)

2. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

You can also edit this line in our plr file:
    Repeat Shifts="2" // 0 = no repeat shift detection, 1 = detect and eliminate accidental repeat shifts within 100ms, 2 = 150ms, 3 = 200ms, 4 = 250ms, 5 = prevent shifting again before previous shift is completed

3. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Ari, you didn't read the post properly :)

4. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

Yes sorry missed 2nd line :eek:

5. nudger1964

nudger1964 Registered

all clouds have a silver lining - you saying that made me realised I might be able to fix my dreadfull fanatec double shifting issue

6. Lazza

Lazza Registered

All's well that ends well :)

Most/all other games must have a decent minimum shift time, because this (hardware) issue that is present with a number of wheels (I had the same with my G27) as far as I know is rarely reported outside of rFactor. Of course the hardware itself takes care of the inevitable 'bounce' that happens with any electrical contact but getting up into the tens of milliseconds would presumably be outside that. I wonder if having a 100ms double shift setting in by default would avoid this problem for most people.

Good that rFactor provides the option to fix it, of course ;)

7. Saabjock

Saabjock Registered

@baked bean...
    What type of wheel did you use before the T500?
    The reason I ask, is because I'm in the market for a new wheel and I like the positive feedback of the T500RS.
    I'm looking to gauge what others have to say about transitioning from gear to belt drives.
    I've had cable driven, then gear...but never tried a belt driven wheel.
    With reference to your real car, how much better does the T500RS feel compared to whatever you used before?

Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2014
  8. smithaz

smithaz Registered

I have had a DFGT and G27 and I cannot recommend the T500 highly enough, FFB is much heavier and stronger and faster than the G27, it feels a heck of a lot more connected to the road, it kind of feels like it is giving much higher resolution feedback than the G27, the only thing i miss is the shift lights.
    I haven't noticed any belt wheel FFB delay either, Iv heard some people say that G27s give quicker FFB because of the gears but I think this is a totally untrue theory. Basically the belt wheel just feels a lot more realistic, with the G27 I have to really tune in to what its telling me whereas the T500 is more intuitive, you get a real sense for what the front tyres are doing.

Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2014
  9. baked bean

baked bean Registered

Hey Saabjock, like Smithaz, i used to have a dfgt before and i quite liked it, apart from the rattle and noise, it did the job alright. But once i took the step up to the T500 there was no looking back, as Smithaz states there is so much more going on with the T500, its like 10x the info i was getting through the DFGT and much more power full too.

I've heard people say that the static paddles on the T500 compared to the G27/DFGT being on the wheel, are a problem, but I never found it so, for instance a car with a big steering lock say, with the DFGT it could be a problem finding the right paddle when your arms are all crossed over and coming off the wheel, but with the the T500, the paddles are fixed to the base so i know exactly where they are, all the time. As to the feeling compering them wheels to my car, if one was to feel closer, its the T500 for sure just because of the strength and how much better its built, the DFGT wheel would wobble about a lot and felt like it was going to fall off the rim any moment.

If you have the funds, and you like put time into sim racing i recommend it. :)

10. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

Fixed paddles is easy to fix if you don`t like them :)

11. baked bean

baked bean Registered

Cool Ari, thanks for them vids :cool:

12. smithaz

smithaz Registered

I dunno about that for a solution ;) I have used the GTE wheel from the start so have never had to deal with the static paddles.

13. Saabjock

Saabjock Registered

The more I read, the more I think T500RS will be my next wheel.
    I sold my G25 a few weeks before the end of April.
    I need to research if there is a good source for things like replacement belts and motors prior to buying.
    At $215 the lack of replacement parts for a G25/27, while annoying is not too big of a deal. For the $550-625 T500RS, it is.
    I want to know that I can at least get some parts.

14. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

Smart plate is nice option too and or you can use Slimline Quick Release if you like and there is also many 3th part add-on wheels T500RS