Need help officiating a race incident

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Manta, May 23, 2014.

1. Manta

Manta Registered

My mates and I have a little racing league going in rF2 and we had some contact the other night and we need all who read this and watch the vid to weigh in with your opinions as to what should happen and who is at fault.

Background:

This is the grand final of our 16 week season, a 45 min GP at Mid Ohio in the Honda Civics BTCC. The two cars involved are fighting for the final spots in the championship and this incident occurs on the final lap of the race, thus determining final championship positions. Rich in the red car pitted on lap 16 and David in the green car on lap 21. The race was 34 laps in all and like I said this crash happens on lap 34. Rich had opened a lead having pitted earlier but David on fresh tires closed in at just over a second a lap for a few consecutive laps before finally catching him down the straight as you will see. Have a look at the video and tell me how you would referee this crash. Thanks guys.

2. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

I didn't read your post to be honest but the green car left no room for the other car. Not sure why either since I'd be all the way over to the left to use up the entire track for the upcoming turn but I digress. The other car could have conceded the position once he noticed he was being pinched but he didn't. I don't know the pings of the two drivers either.

In conclusion, I'd say a racing deal but with a bit of dirty driving by the green car for not giving enough room.

3. bwana

bwana Registered

Racing incident but the overtaking car should really be giving a bit more room, in hindsight simracing peripheral viewing is limited.

4. Tucker Fleming

Tucker Fleming Registered

Green's fault all the way. He was the passing car and it looks like he didn't give any consideration to the red car. I don't see any way the red car can be at fault. If there's anything, the red guy may have noticed the green guy closing, but if it's for position, he's certainly not obliged to give way.
    It looks like, with the background info, and not knowing the personalities or pings of the guys involved, the green guy just said F'All and slammed the door, didn't wait for the right time and place for the pass. If Red is guilty, it's just for being on the race track.
    My opinion, that's all.

:) glad to help

I judge people every day, it's no problem! One of my favorite hobbies!

I hope the race was fun in spite of this incident!

I bet it was!!

Tucker

5. Golanv

Golanv Registered

Red car moves to the Green cars line after being clearly overtaken (half cars lenght ahead)... no question about that.
    Plenty of space both side of the track to avoid this incident by either driver, but since mirrors and awareness of the surroundings didnt seem to be in either ones mind, Red car made a mistake and is the cause for the incident.

6. NWDogg

NWDogg Registered

Reminds me of the Senna/Prost incident at Suzuka turn 1. The red car certainly moved, while the green car held his line steady. However, the green car left no room for the red car to get back onto the racing groove (which should have been anticipated due to the corner entry.) I would chalk this one up to no fault, if I were a judge, as both drivers made poor decisions leading up to the incident.

7. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Green car wasn't where I would have expected him to be. Red car left room on the outside, green car did not take it. I doubt either car was fully in control when the actual incident happened, due to them bouncing off each other on the straight. On the overhead you can see the green car is to the RIGHT of the racing line. No way you could have expected someone to crowd you like that. If they finished with red infront, I wouldn't put a penalty on the green car, but I certainly wouldn't give one to the red.

8. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Sorry but red car acts as if green is not there. Probably he does not see him but not am excuse. green car does not do anything wrong IMO.

enviado mediante tapatalk

9. redapg

redapg Registered

??? Clearly overtaken is when one car has passed the other car completely.
    In this case the overtaking car was besides the other car and then cutted into the line of the almost overtaken car.
    A behaviour what too many virtual racers have unfortunately.

In my eyes it's very easy.
    As long as i haven't passed another car completely, i don't have to cut into his racing-line.

10. Hectari

Hectari Registered

But red did vary when he moved left before they started braking, red caused initial contact at the mid of the green car which caused the green car to veer right. Just before contact, the green car actually did move slightly wider and gave a little wriggle room under braking. The green car did have the right to be where he was but if you want yourself and the driver you are racing to finish with a good fair fight it's taking a big risk putting that squeeze on.

Red took a defensive line over to the right to protect the inside and got pinched, he should have stayed over and respected that green took the line that he did. It's hard to know that someone else is right next to you, but it is expected that you know when they are. Red made his move and started drifting wide into space that he didn't have the right to be in.

If I was to give a penalty to anyone it would be red, but i'd rather just call it a racing incident and give red a warning for causing the contact, but they both could have given more space, things happen fast so i'd rather not lay the blame solely on one driver. Would any penalty be given out in BTCC for this? Probably not, I see way worse all the time go unpunished. But this isn't BTCC and there should be more space and respect given between drivers. In this regard the pros often set us bad examples because so often the driver that wins is the more aggressive one in situations like this, but it often goes wrong too. Generally I think it's best to divide the track in two halves and stick to a side when alongside another driver, it works out great when other drivers do the same but you may get taken advantage of by a driver that wants to be more aggressive and put more pressure on. If it's someone you trust to race wheel to wheel then you know you're safer pushing the boundaries. It's hard to know all the time exactly where someone is, so sticking to a side is best, especially with limited vision and not being sure of what the other driver will do if you can't check at vital times. This incident was at what was most likely the final passing opportunity on this track, high pressure stuff when you know that afterwards there isn't a way to pass again unless they make a mistake.

Close wheel to wheel racing is great but it can end in tears. I learned this the hard way, i've made mistakes like this with others and regretted it and had it done to me too. Sometimes it's great and things work out, sometimes there are accidents that shouldn't have happened. That's racing, we make mistakes, we learn and move on, hopefully to make better decisions in future fights.

Final thought. It's a tough call not to give red a penalty if they did indeed finish in front but this is to me a case of 'it takes two to tango' so they both need to learn from this. The winner should know that they didn't win it fair and square, so there aren't really any winners in this situation. You should both be very sorry :p

Ah what the hell, DQ both of them from this race. That'll teach them to play nice with each other lol.

11. matf1

matf1 Registered

Totally agree Hectari, well maybe not the last sentence.

Does this league have rules?
    If there are no expectations of behaviour, then squeezing must be an option.
    Red drifted into green... Racing incident!

12. Hectari

Hectari Registered

Last sentence isn't actually serious, just a joke, I should have stated that.

Contact doesn't look intentional so would be very harsh to give a penalty, but I still think it's a tough call since it is still a driving error. Fairest thing is to take no action but if similar happens again in the future then penalties should maybe be issued to try and keep them in check. It is unfortunate for the green car as he had a good chance of taking the place but should have played it safer, he should blame himself more than his opponent.

13. Valter Cardoso

Valter Cardoso Registered

If this was on my league i would consider a race incident and wouldnt apply penalty to any driver.

Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2014
  14. aerobaticrug

aerobaticrug Registered

Green clearly not on the racing line, begs the question as to why he was so far to the right, when the line on that straight is clearly to the left.

Other than that - racing incident

15. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Racing line concept does not apply. You just need to leave enough space and green car did. Red hits green. Its simple IMo

16. Tony

Tony Registered

Just how I see it. Green needs to go and sit on the touchline for 10min

He needed a longer straight than he had to complete his overtake, so it all got a bit desperate for him as the corner approached.. he hasn't got anything like far enough ahead of the red car to take the line he's taking

Also as bwana has said - peripheral vision is limited unless you've got a 3-monitor setup, so these side-by-side moments are common

17. Adrian

Adrian Registered

In sim racing i'd say it's a racing incident. In real life green would have ended up in the gravel on the outside and I'd have assessed a penalty post race.

18. borimoli

borimoli Registered

Does the green car move? No it doesn't.
    The green car goes straight. No movement.

The red one moves slowly to the left, but it moves.... on the left goes the green one driving straight. So the movement of the red car is what make the incident.
    So...

For me that is what really happens!

19. baked bean

baked bean Registered

If I was the green car i would of stayed on the racing/rubber line, taking the next right hander a little wider leaving the red car with the inside line, by the look of the speed the green car was carrying im sure by the exit of the right hander he would of been ahead come the left hander or at least had the inside line. A bit of impatient's from the green car i think. :)

20. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Impatient? Why? You can take the turn in parallel with another car. Where is the problem? I just can't see any doubt of who is guilty here