Formula Renault 3.5 2014-spec Now Available

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by 88mphTim, May 21, 2014.

1. Empty Box

Empty Box Registered

AWWWWWWWWWW YEAAAAAAAAAAA.

This car is fantastic. I did some testing with both the old car and the new car, and the new one is so much better it isn't even funny. Much more defined and refined, significantly more feel and massively better feel at low speed. The old car was an annoyance to drive, I never cared for it. Like all of the stuff before Chassis Flex, it drove like crap IMO, like a skateboard. The new car though...

Simply fantastic. The way it hooks around a corner is a thing of beauty - unlike the old car that "just does" with no indication of what it "just does". Very balanced, very natural car to drive and the default setup at Silverstone feels like it was ripped out of an engineer's hands at the back of the garage. Who mugged the setup guy? :) Also nice to include an optional set, though it would be nice if that could be included by default so people can more easily (and simply) access it, but the way setups are saved I guess it doesn't make sense right now. Perhaps saving setups per car in one main area for that car would be a better way to go.

Nice and progressive feel of grip loss and regain, which is something I did not like about the old car. Makes a green track more green, less ice. Unless it was intended to be a Greenland / Iceland naming system, but again, much better.

Graphical model and sounds are a nice improvement over the old car as well.

And now I am even more excited for the DW12.

2. Nazirull Safry Paijo

Nazirull Safry Paijo Registered

Exactly. Instead of thinking how the car shud be, i drive how i shud instead.

Light rubbered track in Loch, fresh tires, took it easy first few laps and to push it is a joy :)

3. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

Looking forward to a video from you featuring both this car and the DW12, also the DW12 of iRacing - would be interesting to hear what you think in between the two.

4. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

Will his opinion dictate or change the way you perceive the cars?

5. panande

panande Registered

I can smell a FR35 2014 Video from EmptyBox :-D

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 7 mit Tapatalk

6. speed1

speed1 Banned

I am without DRS at 1:44.884 on Silverstone but with the lowest wing-position on the rear - 1.0° camber/low air front - some random clicks on the quick.

The car feels very good at filtering on 3 with a positive effect on the directional stability by elimnating interfering effects from the patch/surface.

Really a lot of fun this car. :)

7. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

:rolleyes: I think most people are able to form their own opinions. Information can make you perceive differently, which is only positive.

His opinions are interesting because he knows quite a bit more about sim racing than the average sim racer. This makes his videos interesting and educational.
    Plus his videos get half a ton of viewers (due to the above) and this (whether he want to or not) serves as fantastic advertisement of rF2.

He seems to be quite positive towards the new FR3.5.
    If a couple of thousand viewers listen to him speaking in positive terms about the car, chances are that a more people will buy into rF2.
    This will in turn benefit the entire rF2 community.

8. Alex_

Alex_ Registered

In my opinion this is a point of change! Finally a car driveable by all, the easy setup feel very realistic and very driveable. In my opinion you should create an easy setup for every car and place it by default. Then the professional sim-racer can choose the race setup or create their own setup.

9. speed1

speed1 Banned

Yes there's a lot of room and I was not on hotlapping only on test drive mode :) ......but without much optimization and DRS these times are easly possible. Now I need to practice the DRS application, let's see what that can do. This car is by far currently my favorit one.

10. The_Mark

The_Mark Registered

Ehm, might be a stupid question, but: how do I use the DRS?

I've looked through the control settings, but I can't find anything related to DRS.

11. Minibull

Minibull Member

Its called "Rear Flap" in the control options.

12. The_Mark

The_Mark Registered

Ah, great. Thanks!

13. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

[​IMG]

14. msportdan

msportdan Banned

great video, shame the ol f1 doesnt sound like that anymore ha

15. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Banned

It's actually a bit weird to me, if this car is doing 10.000RPM tops - then where does the sound come from? For sure the real ones sound the same, so it's accurate. But a major reason for the sound degradation in F1 is always given as the RPM reduction down from 18K to 15K (and mostly running 12K due to fuel limits). Yet these cars are further RPM limited and still sound externally like the devil.

16. Comante

Comante Registered

There are much more parameters influencing sound, not only RPM.

17. Armando

Armando Registered

Especially the turbo, which reduces the exhaust noises a lot.

18. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

I do wonder if the improvements between this 2014 sim version of the car and the previous sim version of the previous 2010 car

is due to the evolution & improvements in rfactor 2

.......or simply evolution in the real world version eg the 2014 version is nicer & more joy to drive than the (real world ) 2010 version & rfactor 2 has simply translated each version as true to real world as possible regardless of result

maybe a mixture of the two is the correct answer ?

(improvements -judging by the mainly positive response from the community as I didn't really tune in to the previous version )

Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2014
  19. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Probably a mixture.

20. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Wohoooooooooohow...it`s christmas time :)

Many thanks, amazing car, lovley sound, awesome grip/downforce. The best car i ever droven in simracing. Again, many thanks to ISI.