Trying to diagnose weird lag issue

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by datanode, May 13, 2014.

1. datanode

datanode Registered

As topic title,

I wonder is there a net graph like the physics / cpu graph. I am trying to diagnose an issue that I think is related to network lag.

I get a pause of my car for 0.5 seconds but all sounds and other animations continue.

My physics / graphics are not maxing out at all. Literally the whole game runs but my car is stationary for a moment.

2. Jeremy Miller

Jeremy Miller Former ISI Senior Programmer

At this time there is no way to see connection health/history outside of ping stats. You can get ping information by typing /ping in the chat box after you join a server.

3. F1Fan07

F1Fan07 Member

Are you using wi-fi instead of a network cable on the PC?

4. datanode

datanode Registered

All cables :/

5. datanode

datanode Registered

If it is net related that is cool. If it was something hardware related then I would be more upset. Hasn't happened for a week now? :) so looks like it was a connection issue.

The only reason I wondered about a graph was to correlate lag in game to be actual packet loss via connection.

:) if that makes sense

6. F1Fan07

F1Fan07 Member

I only asked because with 300-450 Mbps wi-fi I was getting pauses every 12 sec like clockwork. With a 10 Mbps powerline networking connection the problem went away. It's a quirk of rF2 for me because rF1 and iRacing are fine on wi-fi.

7. datanode

datanode Registered

Yeh, I appreciate that too. What I found out now is it happened single player :-( hmm, I still wonder. Is there something you are supposed to do when cloning to a new ssd. As it only started happening with this new ssd :/

8. datanode

datanode Registered

I will update the firmware of the ssd. It might be the issue.

9. datanode

datanode Registered

Figured it out, my suspicions were right on when I actually tried to diagnose the issue properly.

"The IO operation at logical block address for Disk 0 was retried."

Was in my error log. I did a series of sensible things to fix this. It might be win8 related, it might be something else.

1. Disk checked for errors (found some, could of been just that)
    2. Updated win8 sata controller driver (new) with win7 amd raid controller driver 2009, but up to date :/ that could also of fixed it and been the cause of some corruption)
    3. Check the latest firmware on ssd (already up to date, but others may want to check
    4. Used the manufacturer utility samsung magician to optimise drive for performance.
    5. Updated the firmware in the bios to latest version.

Hope maybe this helps for anyone else with weird pausing issues or win8 specific.

This was an asus rog fomrula-z crosshair with an amd 8320 piledriver blk ed

Using an evga 780gtx sc and samsung evo 840 ssd 240 gb