rF2 vs Assetto Corsa multiplayer compared

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by stonec, May 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stonec

stonec Registered

Now that Assetto Corsa has launched their first version of multiplayer, it's interesting to compare it with rF2 and see what they do better/worse and what could be improved in rF2. Obviously AC multiplayer is still in early alpha, but at moment they have 500+ players online according to server listing, so obviously they are doing something right.

Plus (compared to rF2):

- Nice menu overview of servers, showing track, all cars available, current session, pings etc. Also filter by password. Why can't rF2 have these basic features in menu as well, such as filtering options and pings, after 2 years of development?
    - When you don't have available content (tried to join server with modded Zolder track), it simply says "Server contains unavailable content". I think there is no track rotation allowed, so they escape the issue with rF2 where you have to download XX tracks to join a server.
    - It seems that latencies are rather good and the MP implementation works well when latencies remain under 100 ms
    - The booking system can be useful for scheduled events in leagues, you know exactly when the event is about to start

Minus:

- Huge limitations with booking system. Servers get full quickly but some of the booked drivers might be gone by the time the event starts. Too inflexible.
    - Noticeable jitter when pings grow over 100 ms
    - Big lack of features in general, voting, etc.
    - Long list of unfinished stuff

I haven't tested the dedi yet myself so can't comment on that. But even this alpha multiplayer has a few things that are better done than rF2. Especially the menu overview, I really like that. Also, servers are much more accessible than in rF2, with no need to download several tracks to join. The rF2 getmod URL system really needs to be made more user friendly so that servers with custom mods would rely more on it.

Anyway, apart from the accessibility and menu, rF2 multiplayer is technically superior at moment. I just hope those small issues would be fixed one day in rF2.

2. filippu

filippu Registered

It's not a plus. At best, it can be considered as the lazy answer to the problem you described.

3. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Is the booking system mandatory or can it be bypassed by admins?

4. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Wow... this thread will end well!

5. Eduard Mallorquí

Eduard Mallorquí Banned

For now it's mandatory.

6. stonec

stonec Registered

Maybe not, but it's also impractical to try joining servers with 10+ custom tracks that you all have to find download links to. And that's the way a lot custom servers are set up, because admins don't bother creating new vmods due to the complicated mod creation process. What admins do is they create one vmod with, say, 10 tracks. Then they pick 3-5 of those tracks and put them in rotation and change the rotation weekly. But user has to download all 10 tracks of vmod, even if the aren't in server rotation...

7. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

AC MP has a lot of issues, a lot of lag, a lot of people can't even join any server, a lot of crash and frezz, the 5sec penalty.....

8. TiTaN

TiTaN Registered

for a free MP, a lot of servers always full, huge potencial, no graphical fps issues, very enjoyable, 40+ official servers. it's a killer for rFactor 2 that has been out for too long. sad to say RIP rFactor2

9. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

I did just a quick try...why quick? because it was pain in the ass to join any server even though there were a lot of server also with free slots. So not a huge difference to rf2 accessibility :D

My first impression were that I hate the booking system. It totally sucks that I can't join in the middle of a session. Maybe I should give the system some more time to find positives out of it...

Atm AC mp lacks alot of features so it's not fair to compare it to rf2 yet... wtf is going on with race ending after 1st finishes the race :p So yea, must wait for updates before I can give a final verdict.

Ps. For me, rf2 driving (especially ffb) feels quite alot better than AC. Ac don't come even near what I experienced with Meganes on modern Spa in rf2.

10. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

Don't feed the trolls, just ignore them!

11. MikeeCZ

MikeeCZ Registered

also tried only brifly.. more or less, and i find their MP concept pretty good, even the booking is quite good, but only for public racing, for leagues you need what rf2 has, so you need to have choice of both.

I could not test it anymore because so hate how AC drives that i had to turn it off, but i was testing for like hour and a half and i can tell the public drivers in AC are even worse than in rF2, because turn1, 2 and 3 collisions are absolutelly guaranteed. So as a concept i like it, shame is a concept in a game i really regret spending every penny i did at it...

12. Domi

Domi Registered

The most amazing thing so far is the huge number of online players, for an early access software from a company that just developed a not very popular sim in the past.

MP is still clearly undeveloped, but for someone who wants rF2 to succeed, this is really worrying. The ratio of online players is easily 10:1 or similar... and we will see how many people of will extend the online access in one month.

13. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

edit: Not worth it. He only posts in these threads I noticed.

14. Valter Cardoso

Valter Cardoso Registered

Free MP: Here you are right. Its so easy to download a cracked AC everywhere.

it's a killer for rFactor 2: I think ISI guys just sold the office tables last night. So you´re right again.

very enjoyable: Yes, also the holocaust was enjoyable to some guys living in central Europe.

sad to say RIP rFactor2: Im also sad. The casket was so expensive.

15. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

it's just everyone jumping on to try it, I've not even updated yet lol

the excitement will die down

rf2 will all be about leagues after a bit more progression of development

16. Eduard Mallorquí

Eduard Mallorquí Banned

The main issue is that you don't really have a market of potential good simdrivers in rF2 to drive in such leagues, usually leagues go to where the people is driving and sadly rF2 community is getting smaller everyday.

17. stonec

stonec Registered

Also of course it's easy to say with hindsight, but I think it was a mistake of ISI to charge for multiplayer instead of DLC's. The content from ISI has been really high quality lately, and it's probably expensive to produce such content. Whereas multiplayer, what special does it offer that is worth paying for? It offers 4 ISI servers you can join, and lucky members of a league can race on the league server. For the random racer, multiplayer hardly offers anything. Neither does autoupdate, which has usually issues and you are better off updating manually anyway.

18. Domi

Domi Registered

As Eduard said, leagues (at least the majority) will use whatever game is more popular. That's why rF had so many leagues.

AC excitement will go down for sure, first days are always different, but on the other hand there isn't yet official modding support... they haven't shown all their cards.

I also agree with stonec reflexion.

19. Max Angelo

Max Angelo Registered

I havent Assetto Corsa ... can someone please explain me how the mismatch system works (i mean a minimum of file check, so to avoid blatant cheats)?

Also, how the penality system works ( for counter way driving etc)?

The flag system is ok?
    Pit stops are ok?

20. Thepharcyde

Thepharcyde Registered

Its freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.