Tyre Growth

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Minibull, May 10, 2014.

1. Minibull

Minibull Member

It was something I was always wondering whether rF2 did actually calculate, after seeing some onboard F1 stuff from 2005, where I saw the tyres grow just a small fraction when going down straights. That and the aero pushing the car down.

Well I was trundling around Dunsfold with a various bunch of cars, and I took the Eve out. Got stuck on this curb which had no friction to it, with my rear wheels free to spin up. I saw the tyres grow a bit so then I grabbed this video, as I was quite surprised to see it happen. Dunno about all you other guys, but I didn't think they had growth modelled.

For the vid, I set the gearing way up, like up to 500kph or something.

2. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

That is cool as hell.

3. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Radius growth with speed was already in rF1, though I suspect it probably didn't happen graphically. There's no longer a parameter for it in rF2, but it's obviously implemented as part of the whole model.

4. TJones

TJones Registered

Cool indeed, didn' expect such difference. But that's a main downside of a old Bias-ply tyre, resulting in a reduced contact patch at higher speed.

5. MikeeCZ

MikeeCZ Registered

that is so awesome... bloody hell how many things are actually implemented into the rF2 wihout us even having a clue... now i know that rF2 has soo many things that no other sim has, it has simulated basicaly every part of the ICU, even flywheel, drive train flexes, differencial flexes, twists in materials and chassy flexes, now even this! and people keep whining about bad performance omg. I just love rF2 so much, next to rF2 no other game can be really called a simulator

6. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

Agree!

7. Domi

Domi Registered

This was already implemented in rF1 as Lazza said, and most likely in all the other sims. The fact that some stuff is not represented visually doesn't mean that it's not implemented.

8. Minibull

Minibull Member

Yeah, I just had no idea. Found it to be a bit of a surprise XD

Next thing to try is flatspot the tyres and do the same thing again hahah

9. Racefreak1976

Racefreak1976 Registered

Nothing beats rFactor2 in terms of physics. That much is for sure. Well, except reality itself maybe. But that's a BIG maybe. ;)

10. tjc

tjc Registered

Me too, I never realised this was in the sim either...

Love it though. :cool:

Good find Mini...

11. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

thanks for putting this up on YouTube, I found it earlier then started to read about tire - speed expansion

incredible how these things are incorporated into rf2's tire model - is like to know for sure that this is totally physics linked thus ffb linked etc? ( I assume it is )

12. Domi

Domi Registered

As it was said, yes, even since rF1. Tire radius grows when increasing the rotational speed of the wheel, and that would allow the car to reach higher topspeed, if the engine is powerful enough. However, car weight and downforce can reduce tire radius.

13. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

Coming from you I find this funny as hell.

Anyway, I've said this before and I'll say it again, the tire model here is friggin awesome.

14. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

A couple months ago Empty Box did a rf2 "review" where he left out the tire model from his review! I called him out on it and in the comments he said it is one of the worst tire models in sim racing. Clueless.

Once you do some racing in WCR60'S cars where you can feel and see th e tire model at work you really start to understand how much is going on with the rf2 tire under the hood. With flat spotting, this tire growth, loss of grip when off temp, the way the tires wear and make you pay for abusing them- all of it is what i have wanted from a sim since 2006.

none of this stuff changes hot lapping that much but it totally transforms racing and the best races I've ever had have been in rf2

15. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

I don't get people continually need to justify how good rF2 is for them.

Build 45, very first Eau Rouge was all the convincing I have ever needed, ........................it was a revelation like none other before.

:confused:

lopl

16. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

lol. That guy is an idiot.

17. MikeeCZ

MikeeCZ Registered

Most of the guys who had started with iRacing will find it very hard to digest that racing cars on their limits is actually hard, as iRacing has very.. easy to drive physics.. exactly same feeling i get from AC, its like the devs are making the cars easier to drive and hard to get out of control so players have more fun and play their game more...

18. Domi

Domi Registered

So how close are you to Greger Huttu and cia?

19. Empty Box

Empty Box Registered

The physics a year ago were rough, at absolute best. It's not difficult to see how a car like the Corvette for example, went from driving like a 911 to actually resembling a Corvette as soon as they added chassis flex. You can have the most advanced tire model in the world, if you can't utilize it then it does not matter one bit. You missed that in your blind, idiotic fanboyism. You must have missed the points where I praise the fact that the track is great (though real road needs to be set to a normal level to actually be a gamechanger), the FFB is great, and the physics were showing indication it would be impressive, but wasn't. That was a year ago, and anyone here should know that just the last 6 months have changed rF2 more than it did in the year and a half prior to that. Before chassis flex, rF2 drove like trash - and yes, I will stand by that all day. There has been zero question if it could, the question has always been would.

Case and point- GSC is on an ancient engine. But because it's been fed the right things and optimized, it puts up a decent experience despite that problem. rF2 eventually will be even further refined (and has been, the last 3 cars have been so much better than anything previously it's almost funny) and easily surpass it, but just having more technical elements to it doesn't mean it's better. iRacing is reported to have one of the most advanced tire models out there - does that mean it's the best? The answer should be pretty clear...

But hey, you keep enjoying that BES mod. :rolleyes:

BTW - it wasn't a review. The fact you are still clearly angry about a video from a year ago and continue to bring it up show how pitiful you are.

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2014
  20. MikeeCZ

MikeeCZ Registered

Please keep the hostality down, a person like you (a youtuber with tons of people commenting) shoud be used to a lot of strong negative opinions about you, i am quite suprised you went off like this. Altho i quite disagree with you that the drivability of rF2 would have changed as dramatically as you describe within last year or year and a half.