Is driving without the cockpit visible possible?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 64r, May 8, 2014.

1. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

Currently only solution is an expensive and complicated one...

You'd need three PC's, one is your primary/master and the other two will have to join a server as spectators and use fixed "look left/right".

I think you can define in the .PLR how many degrees it should be.

There, problem solved, pay up :D

- You could even use tripples on master or all and set distance/position and FOV independent.

2. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

If oculus were supported it wouldn't make a difference PMC, it only uses a single fov. The oculus is designed to replicate the view from the drivers perspective.

3. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

I agree that both FOV and eye position should be identical, just saying that with above "solution" it is possible to play around with.

But as a simracer, personally I need a fixed front screen, headtracking gives me a feeling of going sideways and loosing sense of direction, I fear that Occulus might do the same.

4. PMC

PMC Registered

Well I suppose that's got cam 1 covered if you use bonnet/hood view, now all we need is for ISI to code in the other 3 cams ;)

I think the best solution for now is to make a card board cut out of the window frames or even a nice vinyl replica to put in front of your monitor and use bonnet/hood view lol ;)

5. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

No, you still need drivers eye point, so cockpit view for all, but adjusted FOV (lower)

And possibly with the "wheels only" .PLR setting.

6. PMC

PMC Registered

So basically head tracking on cam/Fov 1 with wheels only , and windscreens displayed how ? How would you adjust each screen to each monitor ?

EDIT : Sorry no need to explain I understand what your saying , I think I understand . Hmm 3 pc's ay , well there ya go Christian that could quite possibly work , and you really wouldn't need head tracking .

Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2014
  7. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

Read my previous post, no headtracking, but three PCs ;)

Unless you WANT headtracking, but thats gonna be quite alot of setup work for three PCs.

8. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

And headtracking would kinda defeat the purpose IMHO.

9. PMC

PMC Registered

LOL yes that dawned on me but I EDITED my post too late , a few beers now have slowed my reflexes lol :eek:

10. PMC

PMC Registered

But I will add though the ability to move closer/up/down to the screen and see around it would be neat :D

11. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

headtracking on trackir with a static screen makes you loose sense of direction and can be disorienting. Reason being you turn your head to look to the side yet you must keep your eyes looking at the static monitor. Oculus rift chances this completely by strapping the screen to your face which makes it completely natural to how we look around in real life.

But PMC, i'll say again, it makes absolutely no sense to use 3 separate cams if you want a realistic view.

12. Christian Rosén

Christian Rosén Registered

Aha, yeah the "3 PC spectator setup" would solve the problem to glue 2 extra cams on the car, good idea WiZPER :D Wish I had the hardware though!

13. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Christian, what is it your trying to achieve with such a setup exactly? Perhaps i've misunderstood.

14. PMC

PMC Registered

I totally understand what you mean about realistic view . With the 3 pc solution the outside image is static with the screen and no shift in perspective , if you look out of a window at an object , as you turn your head it shift 's or appears to . That's why I thought , and important part , that cam/FOV 1 has to pivot through cam/FOV 2/3/4 to give a more natural shift in perspective . That is also why I said too that head tracking would be needed to allow this shift without just looking at a static image . Also keeping in mind that the 3 cams would be static and only rendering the frame/pillars and screen while outside moves naturally. Or atleast that's my take on it . :)

15. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

I think i kind of got what you meant PMC but what i've ultimately been trying to say is that this 2 stage fov setup is trying to fix a problem that simply doesn't exist in the first place. It's the very same reason why using a bonet/dash-cam view is unrealistic. Sure you can use it, but the perspective is completely incompatible with how and what the driver sees through his eyes from the drivers seat.....no matter if the monitor is placed at the correct distance and location away from you as the bonnet/dash-cam are placed to the virtual driver.

16. PMC

PMC Registered

Yes understood , but it's late here now, time for bed , thanx for the thoughts :)

17. Christian Rosén

Christian Rosén Registered

What I would like is the ultimate illusion that you are driving a simulated anything with an enclosed area with windows to see the outside simulated world. What annoys me today are the already unrealistically restricted view you get from 1 or even 3 monitors (or projectors) which gets even worse when driving in cockpit view. There should be a better way to simulate it. And for me that must be to build a general cockpit (or modify a real car-cockpit, hehe) and exchange the windows to monitors, simple as that.

I'm very much looking forward to Oculus Rift for arcade games (FPS) but I'm not sure its optimal for Arma3 or Battlefield even (for me!) because I like to use all my controllers (mouse/keyboard/wheel/joysticks) and would probably only use the HMD when i'm on foot, lol. I know I will feel uncomfortable wearing a device that blocks my entire view (and ears) for extended periods, and would like an alternative to that. I like my tech, I don't only want to be able to find the right buttons/sticks/levers to use by muscle memory but also would like/need to see all my gear. How is it ever going to be possible to make a realistic simulation with a HMD where you can't even see your controllers that control the simulation? :)

18. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

If i'm not mistaken Chris, you want to setup the views so you can avoid seeing the interior of the car and only what's visible through the windscreens? And that is your reason for wanting cam views that are basically as close as possible (if not on the surface) of the windscreens. I completely understand your reasons for not wanting to waste screen space on the cockpit. My point is attempting to accomplish this like the way you've described is both unrealistic (for a few reasons) and also completely unnecessary. Take the following diagram for instance (which I'm using a centrally seated car to help simplify the illustration...and sorry about the handwriting).

[​IMG]

As you can see, you can setup both perspectives (dash and driver cam views) to avoid showing the pillars (that separate the windscreens). So with a single screen, we can see that it's completely possible to do this. However, with (say) triple screen, since you have so much more horizontal fov you will need to increase the fov for the drivers cam to allow you to see out the side windscreens on your triple screen setup. But then you've brought the pillars into view and here lies the issue you're trying to get around (if i'm not mistaken). Well, iracing has a means to sort of fixing this by allowing you to define where and how you've setup the geometry of your monitors so that you could (if you wanted to) remove the pillars out of sight on your monitors.

Another issue with using something like a dash cam, is the monitor is more forward. So not only can it see more than you should be able to through a windscreen, but objects appear closer and thus larger than should be. Just imagine driving behind someone and switch from drivers view to bonnet view. The ingame fov has not changed but the ass of the car in front is now right up in your face and taking up your entire field of view.

19. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Still requires to be from the perspective of the driver. Get big ass monitors and place them in the correct position and the effect your after will be as close as possible.

Different discussion. :p

20. Murtaya

Murtaya Registered

A forward facing camera with green sheet behind your controllers would allow you to see your controllers overlaid on top of the video sent from the game. This is how I would imagine things will progress with virtual reality and simulators. Obviously this is future, at the moment this would probably add unacceptable input lag, and you would have to place your controllers exactly where they appear in game. It's coming Christian but as others have said, get three big fast monitors, and you have a pretty realistic effect going on right now.