updates for vehicle rfcmp

Discussion in 'Component and Mod Packaging' started by INTEL48, May 8, 2014.

1. INTEL48

INTEL48 Registered

need some help, I have tried to update a current vehicle MOD, tried all combinations using mas2 tool, prob is I just want to update, eg: xxxxx_main.mas, but keep all the othe mas files, naturally updating from say 1.0 to 1.1, seems to update ok, but only the newer files are there, not all the other mas files .

cheers

2. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

What do you mean only the newer MAS files are there. Where are you talking about? The 1.1 folder? On an upgrade, the game reads the MAS files from both the 1.0 and 1.1 folder and the 1.1 folder overrides the MAS files from the 1.0 folder. Don't worry about missing MAS files in the 1.1 folder. This is normal.

Or maybe I don't understand what your asking.

3. R1CHO

R1CHO Registered

you cant of tried all combo's lol otherwise it would work just fine!!!

4. INTEL48

INTEL48 Registered

Thamx Noel, I didnt see other mas files so thought is was wrong...cheers

5. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Odd, I haven't had a problem with updates. Are you sure you're building the MAS files correctly? The new mas files don't include just the changed files but must also include the original files that have not been changed. This was the mistake I made at first. It kind of sucks when you need to make an update to a 10kb file within a 25MB mas file and the resulting MAS file is still 25MB. But that is how it works for now. The most common use I can think of for an update would be to add teams to a car. But the teams mas is one of the larger mas files. So adding one team to a mas produces a rfcmp that isn't dramatically smaller than a full rfcmp. The other common use would be to make AIW, GDB and loading screen changes to a track. Luckily the layout mas files are almost the smallest mas in a track. So making an update likes this would create a dramatically smaller rfcmp. The other problem with upgrades is they aren't supported by GetMod. So I basically stopped using upgrades all together. The pros of using GetMod outweigh the cons of forcing your users to go to a forum to download and install an update by hand, even if it is a smaller file.

6. R1CHO

R1CHO Registered

I dont have an issue updating components and only putting the updated files in a new mas folder, thats whats been done with tcr only a few bits where replaced and added to the update.. getmod works also only if the server has version 382 or earlier modmanager on it otherwise updates dont install correctly and you cannot use the updated cars to host only the not updated version then the people have to get mod directly from the sedver unless they have the earlier modmanager also
    for people that dont race online they must have the earlier modmanager

yep the teams files are what makes the package larger for instance in rf1 aus people from many forums have a community skin pack for v8's this is 700meg rared

7. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Okay I see what your saying now. But when I was referring to GetMod I was referring to the "get missing components" part of it. I make use of that on our server and upgrades don't work with it.

8. R1CHO

R1CHO Registered

ok, now i see

9. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

It would be nice if GetMod did support updates though, especially if updated MAS files didn't need to include all the old files. Then a teams could be added one at a time and when people join the server they just pick up another update component that is only 1MB or so. Right now when we add a team or if someone updates a skin, we have to pack a whole new MAS and rfcmp. I have it fully automated now so it isn't much work for us, but it produces a large file that is a little redundant. Also, if people don't know enough about how the packaging system works they end up with a bunch of orphaned full size components. It starts to add up.

10. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

I am very interested in this. We start our championship on the 20th and people will be sending their skins throughout the following days. Would be glad to test it and feedback.

enviado mediante tapatalk

11. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

What would you like to test? My batch build process?

12. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Yes. Watching how GetMod.exe works I am interested to see how it works. I now manually need to edit all veh with driver name and team name in the VEH file and pack it as a new component. It might help.

13. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Check out my post here:
    http://isiforums.net/f/showpost.php?p=259924

And my tool here:
    http://isiforums.net/f/showpost.php?p=259911

You can fully automate the build process. The only catch is you have to use the ModMgr from 490 because there is a bug in 660 where you can't create MAS files anymore.

14. canastos

canastos Registered

It's strange: when reading you, I inmediatly thought, oooooh no, they messed something else!!, but after that, just did a test, first with few files and after with more than 1400 into a new MAS file, and both tests were successful, so I guess it may (for once) be someting wrong in your install

byyyyyyyyye

15. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Thanks Noel,
    Just downloaded them and tomorrow I will see how it works.
    I haven't perceived either problems with latest mas2.exe.