Does rFactor 2 replace rFactor Pro aswell?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DrR1pper, May 6, 2014.

1. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Sorry if this has already been asked and answered elsewhere but is rFactor 2 also a replacement for rFactor Pro (which i presume uses a less advanced and less accurate physics model and ffb than rf2's?) and if so, is it also targeted at professional motorsport teams?

vegaguy5555 likes this.
  2. Deadpedal

Deadpedal Registered

I would hazard a guess that ISI has little to no relationship to rFactor-Pro anymore. My best guess is that that chunk was sold. If you go to www.rFactor-pro.com and to the contacts page, you'll see the company is "Kangaloosh Ltd. operating as rFactor Pro". No mention of ISI anywhere.

3. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

It's always been Kangaloosh (Chris Hoyle) who owned rFPro. But it is still based on gMotor so of course ISI has a connection.

4. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Oh....so rfPro was never ISI's baby?

5. Barf Factor

Barf Factor Registered

rFactor Pro "is a commercial implementation of the rF2 graphics engine and codebase..." according to the recruitment ad.

6. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

No, it doesn't. Though we'll bring code we develop into it and give that to Chris, as usual. No change there really.

7. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Nope. It's just their engine but ISI has said they learned stuff from that project which has made it into rf2. So although it isn't their company, they/we have benefited from it.

8. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Neeto. Interesting relationship between ISI and Chris.

Is it fair to say that rf2 has a better physics and ffb model than the current version of rfPro sold to professional teams currently? At least until you pass on the code to Chris for the next evolution of rfPro?

9. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

I thought rfactor pro was totally ISI's baby, maybe they get a kickback for each license
    thus complete cooperation between ISI & "Chris"

10. Ruben Miranda

Ruben Miranda Registered

Hello
    I thought it Was ISI build to but it was only for pros to use in there Simulators and it was never built for public.
    Although some of what they learned in the pro version went in to RF2.

Ruben

11. 88mphTim

lol, everybody is so confused now.

Engine is ISI, as known. It's similar really with ISI providing the engine for Pro, like ISI does with other retail product devs and the rF1 engine. Except with Pro, we often have to make engine changes, usually small things, on their behalf, while a company like Reiza are pretty much on their own (but then, they have a racing game engine in racing game form to start from). And, of course, nothing is free in either case. Pro, or rather the engine it evolved to from rF1, is only available to auto manufacturers, yes. Which means teams need to be constructing their own vehicles for Chris to even speak to them.

It would be impossible for ISI to do first-hand business with motorsport of the type assumed from the USA, really. The vast majority of international motorsport is UK or mainland Europe. Chris is there.

12. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

bet that's a good thing as those small changes -ISI devs can investigate why it's needed & maybe at times learn from some of these requests & potential ideas/improvements

thus maybe some of the results from this has been incorporated into rfactor 2

was reading rfactor pro website earlier, about this in the loop thing -lower latency etc I hope this as much as it possibly could be is in rfactor 2

I'm assuming rfactor pro can run on a standard stand alone PC ( + I know other pc's are used for monitoring etc )

13. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Banned

Wow, I want that setup:
    http://www.rfactor-pro.com/Solutions.aspx

Quite complicated, five merged beamers correcting for motion of the platform... yikes.

Oh, and the Circuit DB sounds awesome. That must have cost some very pretty penny.

14. 88mphTim

Occasionally it's more expensive to license a track for a retail product like rF2, than it is to simply get permission to put it in a product like Pro, where fewer people will use it, but pay more to do so. Quite a paradox. But you have to consider the implications of a retail product on Intellectual Property, versus the lack of them in Pro.

15. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

some one came round my place today who has motion sims -monocoque's with wrap around screens, he gets paid by f1 to stage these at most of their events, he came because he needed an interface & some scn6 actuators in a hurry when he left my house he was actually driving to Barcelona (for the f1 weekend ) with the gear
    (a container full of gear has been delayed in transit coming from the last f1 )

he was saying that he could get me fitted out with a big wrap round screen but when I started explaining about potentially imminent (half decent) VR head gear he was all ears, also I wonder if monocoque will become less popular -as & when VR takes off , guess full monocoque's are good as a crowd puller though

he said his motion sims used rfactor I should have checked if it was pro or not

16. Racefreak1976

Racefreak1976 Registered

Dammit! I'm in the wrong line of work. I never get to meet interesting people like that. Unless, Jeff Bezos comes to Germany one day. (Which is highly unlikely, even more unlikely I will get to talk to him)

17. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Probably rF-Event. That is what most use.

18. 88mphTim

Let's hope he has commercial licensing so his company isn't operating illegally. :)

Can't be pro. Most likely rf1.

And yes, people have lied about that to their clients before. Saying they're getting pro. They aren't.

Sent using Tapatalk

19. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Adrianstealth, I can't see the monocoques being fully replaced by VR any time soon. Maybe some sort of combination? The fact that you are staring at a virtual cockpit and that you cannot see your own real body and such just seems too artificial too me. Just my opinion of course but I can't see full VR like the rift going full industrial. In my opinion 3D glasses is superior, maybe not in terms of the immersion and wow factor, but in the way it applies to an industrial training situation.

20. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

And on top of that doesn't Simbin have the right to modify the core ISI engine like they did in most, if not all, of their games (eg. GTR2, Raceroom Racing Experience, etc.)? Or do they all have the option to edit the core ISI engine?