GetMod Manager

Discussion in 'Component and Mod Packaging' started by Noel Hibbard, May 3, 2014.

1. lotusmania

lotusmania Registered

Yeah I did that, but it doesn't download =/

2. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

In the past I got my list of datapaths from the same registry location that the ModMgr used. This way the two tools would stay in sync. Now that ISI changed the way they are storing stuff in the registry my paths get wiped out any time you run ModMgr. I need to update my tool to scrap the concept of keeping the tools in sync and just write the paths to my own registry key. ISI changed the way the ModMgr stored it's paths a long time ago. If I recall it changed in 880.

My tool should still work fine though. You just have to specify your datapath when you launch my tool. I'm not sure I understand you problem description. Are you simply pointing out that your having to select the path each time or are you selecting the path and then getting an error?

3. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

To be clear, the downloading of the vmod has nothing to do with my tool or service. My tool/service only comes into play after the vmod downloads and it starts downloading missing content.

My guess is you are putting the vmod in a custom Packages folder and not the default packages folder. The server will only look in the default packages folder for the vmod and it only checks for the vmod when the server first starts. The only other thing I can think of is maybe your vmod file name (not to be confused with the name of your vmod) has spaces or special characters in it. If your vmod file name is something like "my mod.rfmod" then rename it to something like "my_mod.rfmod" and then restart your server.

4. Daiman Patel

Daiman Patel Registered

I do have to select the path each time, but this isn't the problem. The actual issue is that the application fails silently after attempting to select a DataPath; the application opens successfully, but there is never a working directory / DataPath that's accessible from within the application (the working directory is always blank, even after I've attempted to select a DataPath) - therefore, I can never see mods (installed or otherwise), nor can I create vMods.

Ps. For a better explanation of what I'm talking about I have included a screenshot.
    View attachment 18101
    The working directory is always blank, even after selecting a DataPath on start up or when selecting a DataPath via the file browser (when you select B). Nothing else is open that could be affecting GetMod, and there are no errors or warnings displayed once the DataPath has been selected. In fact, the selected path actually appears for a second after which the field automatically clears itself.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2015
  5. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Cool, thanks for the details. I will have to look through my code and see where it may be going wrong.

I don't think it's the build though because it's working fine for me on 1008.

6. Daiman Patel

Daiman Patel Registered

Awesome! Cheers mate, the help is much appreciated. Just to let you know, I tried with both an older version of the application, which I've been using for quite a while now, as well as the latest version, and the results are the same.

However, I also noticed something else that I wouldn't expect to be affected by the issue I've raised. The other problem is that even when I deselect the tick-box to display installed mods only nothing is displayed, even though I am logged in. As I say, I'm not sure whether the two issues are related, but in case it does have some bearing I thought it best to mention it as well.

I haven't yet tried logging out and back in again, to see if this will have any effect. I might be clutching at straws more than anything now though.

7. endonesia

endonesia Registered

"Could not select database"

8. Daiman Patel

Daiman Patel Registered

Hi Noel,

The problem seems to have changed. I am now seeing this exception when I start the application, attempt to add a DataPath, or perform any other action that causes a refresh.
    Code:
    ************** Exception Text **************
    System.ArgumentException: Invalid JSON primitive: Could.
       at System.Web.Script.Serialization.JavaScriptObjectDeserializer.DeserializePrimitiveObject()
       at System.Web.Script.Serialization.JavaScriptObjectDeserializer.DeserializeInternal(Int32 depth)
       at System.Web.Script.Serialization.JavaScriptObjectDeserializer.BasicDeserialize(String input, Int32 depthLimit, JavaScriptSerializer serializer)
       at System.Web.Script.Serialization.JavaScriptSerializer.Deserialize[T](String input)
       at rFactor2_Mod_Manager_Plus.Form1.refreshComponents(String filter)
       at rFactor2_Mod_Manager_Plus.Form1.cbWorkingPath_SelectedIndexChanged(Object sender, EventArgs e)
       at System.Windows.Forms.ComboBox.OnSelectedIndexChanged(EventArgs e)
       at System.Windows.Forms.ComboBox.set_SelectedIndex(Int32 value)
       at rFactor2_Mod_Manager_Plus.Form1.Form1_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e)
       at System.EventHandler.Invoke(Object sender, EventArgs e)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnLoad(EventArgs e)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl(Boolean fIgnoreVisible)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl()
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmShowWindow(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WndProc(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
    mscorlib
        Assembly Version: 4.0.0.0
        Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.18444 built by: FX451RTMGDR
        CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework64/v4.0.30319/mscorlib.dll
    ----------------------------------------
    GetModMgr
        Assembly Version: 1.0.0.21
        Win32 Version: 1.0.0.21
        CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/Racestaff/Desktop/rFactor2%20apps/GetModMgr.exe
    Microsoft.VisualBasic
        Assembly Version: 10.0.0.0
        Win32 Version: 11.0.50938.18408 built by: FX451RTMGREL
        CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualBasic/v4.0_10.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll
    System
        Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.34238 built by: FX452RTMGDR
        CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
    System.Core
        Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.18408 built by: FX451RTMGREL
        CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll
    System.Windows.Forms
        CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
    System.Drawing
        CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
    System.Runtime.Remoting
        Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.34245 built by: FX452RTMGDR
        CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Runtime.Remoting/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Runtime.Remoting.dll
    System.Web
        Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.34237 built by: FX452RTMGDR
        CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_64/System.Web/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Web.dll
    System.Web.Extensions
        Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.34237
        CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Web.Extensions/v4.0_4.0.0.0__31bf3856ad364e35/System.Web.Extensions.dll
    System.Configuration
        CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
    System.Xml
        Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.34234 built by: FX452RTMGDR
        CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
    To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
    application or computer (machine.config) must have the
    jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
    The application must also be compiled with debugging
    enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
        <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
    </configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
    will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
    rather than be handled by this dialog box.
    I removed all old versions of the application, and also cleared the registry, but the problem persists. I understand the stack trace, but don't know why it would be occurring all of a sudden. I also don't understand how or why the issue has changed in nature; there have been no changes to the environment in which the application is running as far as I'm aware.

So that you are aware, the same problem occurs with the old version that I was using (v1.0.0.18) as well as the new version.

9. Juergen Muench

Juergen Muench Registered

Hi,
    I have the same problem since tonight. The best thing, I´ve changed nothing on the running system. :)
    I have had installed an old version of the getmod tool, so I´ve installed the current version and the issue is the same. Can´t load a data path.
    Build 1008 is running on the server since release. Never had problems with it. Yesterday evening I changed the content on one 998 server and I´ve tested it, everything worked fine. Today the GetMod wasn´t working so I checked the links but I get the same issue.

It´s in german, but it is the same problem. One or two version numbers are higher but that shouldn´t be a problem, I guess.

10. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

This is a database problem on my end. I am working on it now and will report back when it's back. Shouldn't be long.

11. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Okay there was a disk crash where the database resided. I was able to bring it back up on a new drive without any data loss.

12. Juergen Muench

Juergen Muench Registered

:cool:
    Yes, now it´s working again without an issue.

Thank´s

13. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

No problem. Now I need to get back to looking at Daiman Patel's problem. :)

14. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

I also need to update my tool to give people a meaningful message when it's having problems connecting to the web service.

15. Daiman Patel

Daiman Patel Registered

Brilliant! Thanks Noel. :)

By the way, I have an update for you, having just tried something else based on the error being thrown after selecting the 'Mods' button when there is no DataPath selected. My setup originally comprised 4 separate rF2 installations, and a single resources directory which contains the Mod Manager and GetModMgr executables. I have now moved GetModMgr.exe into the root folder of each rF2 installation and I can successfully select a working directory; it's still a bit buggy, in that when I select another rF2 install direcotry as a DataPath then the installed mod list does not change appropriately. I hope that makes sense. Also, I cannot CTRL + Click on 'Package' to create the vMod; doing so has no effect. I'm not sure if this issue is related to the initial problem I reported.

Ps. One more quick note, as you previously mentioned, whenever I now open the Mod Manager application (instead of using the manager built in to the launcher) for installing mods then the DataPaths for GetModMgr are cleared.

16. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

When ISI changed the way they put stuff in the registry I did some work to support that but it seems to be buggy. If you look at the build notes for v1.0.0.13 it says that the tool needs to run from the Bin32 folder. When you Ctrl+Click on Packages it looks in the current directory for ModMgr and if it doesn't exist then nothing happens. Run my tool from the Bin32 folder and the vmod builder thing should work. You can actually just make a shortcut to the tool and set the start in path to your Bin32 folder. This way you don't have to have a copy of the tool in each install.

I just need to figure out where I went wrong with the new registry logic. I'm looking at it right now so I should have a fix shortly.

17. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Okay.. I found the bug. The new registry logic started on all builds higher than 1.859. But a decimal 1.1008 is not greater than a decimal 1.859 so it resorts to the old logic and places the paths in a reg location that gets wiped out the next time you run ModMgr. I should be able to fix this real quick.

18. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Okay, version 1.0.0.22 is released. It will now work with builds higher than 999. I was able to use it with multiple datapaths without a problem. When I switch the datapath with the drop down it changes the component list appropriately. It is important that you run the tool form the Bin32 folder though.

Thanks Daiman for motivating me to actually fix this bug. :)

19. Daiman Patel

Daiman Patel Registered

Ah right, I see. Just basic maths causing a problem then! :p Glad to hear that it'll be resolved. Thanks again for the all of the help mate!

20. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Just to be sure you didn't miss my last post.. The problem is fixed in 1.0.0.22.