GetMod Manager

Discussion in 'Component and Mod Packaging' started by Noel Hibbard, May 3, 2014.

1. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Isn't there any possibility for this?
    When you need to make an update of the track, the vmod does not reference the original track, the automatic download system will not download it even though it is registered in the tool.

This reduces the capabilities of the system to fully implement it for league purposes. In the same way that when you create a vmod couldn't It be done when you create an update. I guess it is on ISI's side and not in yours but just needed to clarify.

enviado mediante tapatalk

2. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Yeah this is a limitation on iSI's end and I agree that this would be big big help if it was possible. I also wish that the MAS files in an update didn't require all the original unchanged files. If updates could be truly incremental and supported by GetMod then it would be perfect.

3. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Thanks for the reply Noel

4. SpeedRacer

SpeedRacer Registered

Hey Noel, first thanks for your GetMod Manager! I was trying to use the tool tonight and I'm getting The connection has timed out

The server at getmod.srrs-racing.net is taking too long to respond. This happened a couple of weeks ago too.

5. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

There was a server outage due to bad weather and when the UPS got low it gracefully shut the server down but when the power came back it didn't automatically come back up. I am going to fix this so it doesn't happen again. Sorry for the outage.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2014
  6. alpha-bravo

alpha-bravo Registered

Hi Noel many thanks for this great solution and the "how to" video :)
    The video has helped me alot no open questions here at the moment :cool:

alex

7. DocJones

DocJones Registered

Same here. I was following your developments in the very early stages and at the time was not willing to do all the manual extracting, changing, repackaging, reuploading of components just to save our drivers a few seconds compared to manually downloading and installing. But with GetMod Manager as easy (and fast!) to use as it is now, there is absolutely no reason not to offer GetMod downloads to our drivers. Thanks a lot! ISI should send you a real fancy christmas card this year.

8. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

They should learn how to make things work. I think very few people understood before Noel made this tool, how to make get components working with get mod.

9. alpha-bravo

alpha-bravo Registered

Spaskis why so angry ? You can consider this also in opposite direction.
    ISI gave us (in this case noel) some extensions and we (community in this case noel again :D ) has developed a solid solution.
    I think this a big part of community work where we can support ISI and our self and there is still room for more :)
    Community work is IMO not only for showing them what they could do better or what is not finished.
    Why this is so bad for you. On ISI's end sitting people as you and me and they have 1000 things to do as we all in our working life.
    Let us support them. For me it does not matter who made the solution.
    Most important for me is :
    - it must work
    - some documentation should be available
    - in special cases support from the creator should be available.

we have all this here in a perfect way (again from noel)
    Finally ISI can change there priority to more important things. On a later time they can pick up this again and made a final solution.

Dont get me wrong I think we want the same only the approach is different :)

10. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

I am not angry. I just expose something that is pretty obvious. Noel's approach is much better and understandable than ISIs. Why not integrate it within mod manager?
    They should learn how to get to normal people. Not until Noel has done this utility, people have started to take advantage from get mod. It is basically the same as with Gerald's realtime weather. He has done in a few months what ISI has not been able to do in more than 2 years. Thanks to him we have realtime weather, TV plugin... Things that should be integrated in rF2. However history says that we will have to keep living with "essential plugins" because ISI will not implement many already developed features. However, when something does not work, some will point out at those plugins as guilty.

11. alpha-bravo

alpha-bravo Registered

Yes Spaskis thx for pointing on Geralds weather tool.
    That is another good example. I think this is part of ISI's design (only my opinion)
    They made an API the community made the tool.
    I'm with you the core weather feature is a ISI part and I hope the finish or improve the
    missing parts in rF2 weather soon.
    Same is with the mod manager the core application must work without errors that's a ISI part but a "GetModManager" can be a community (in this case noel ) feature.
    You got what I mean ? ;)
    Anyway I know what you mean. Different people different minds.
    This is ok and good :)
    Sorry for hijacking the thread Noel :p

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2014
  12. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

External plugins give problems. Especially the one that will not permit alt+tab. Since I installed weather plugin I cannot get back from desktop. I need to play in windowed mode since I am league admin and need to do things before the race. This makes me lose fps. Therefore ISIs approach for thirds to develop plugins is not appropriate as ageneral rule. Sorry for the OT.

13. AceLain

AceLain Registered

Hi noel :)

Your tool looks very usefull.

but when I am lunching it, I got an error saying Get mod manger has stopped working

What can I do ?

Do I have to install anything more ?

thanks

14. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Can I get a little more detail? What OS are you using (64/32?). Have you tried running it as an admin (Right click and then select Run as admin).

15. AceLain

AceLain Registered

ho yes sorry.

I am using windows 7 64bit on bootcamp (not sure if it change anything)

I tried using run as adminsitrator, I also tried running with compatiblity for vista. still no joy.
    I tried running it from different location on the drive (on the desktop, on a folder on c:) same thing.

And finally I saw somewhere where you were saying about needing .NET, so I reinstall it.

Still not working.

16. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Yeah it needs dotnet 4.0 but you should already have that from Win7. Bootcamp should really matter. The only thing I can think of is maybe some of the first run stuff failed because it wasn't running as admin and then the second run as admin didn't help because the first run stuff never completed. I will go through my code to see if that theory could be true. I may give you a special build to get some better logging.

Edit: Try this, open a command prompt as admin and then run this:
    Code:
    reg delete "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Noel Hibbard\GetModMgr" /f

Then run my tool again and be sure to run it as admin.

17. AceLain

AceLain Registered

Thanks, I will try this after work :)

18. AceLain

AceLain Registered

mmm it say the The system was unable to find the specified regisrty key or value

in the regedit, under \..current_user\software\ I don't see your name here....

weird

thanks

19. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Okay, well that is a hint at least. The first thing the app does is look for its reg keys. If they are missing it assumes it is the first run and builds all of them. So it sounds like the app crashes before it creates the reg entries. I'm not at the computer right now but off the top of my head I don't think I am doing anything at all before the registry stuff. Although I am only reading/writing to HKCU, you still need admin writes on some machines depending on their configuration. But if your running as admin that can't be it.

When I get back to the office I will look into it further.

One last thing though, are you sure your using the latest release? You didn't download it a long time ago but just now getting a chance to test it, right?

20. AceLain

AceLain Registered

No I downloaded it and tested it right after that.

I tired redownloaded it after that to see if my download was bad or something like that from the DropBox link.

( https://www.dropbox.com/s/61utzv46hllrx4o/GetModMgr.exe )

thanks