GetMod Manager

Discussion in 'Component and Mod Packaging' started by Noel Hibbard, May 3, 2014.

1. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

I think what makes hosting rfcmps so difficult is all the restrictions. No HTTPS and no funky browser side redirects. The problem is most file sharing services do browser side redirects. rF2 would have ot have a full blown web browser with full javascript support and all that to be able to accommodate every webhost and file sharing service out there. That would be a big undertaking and not worth it IMO. Luckily for you it should be easy to find the final destination for your webhost.

2. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

I have some great news! ISI increased the redirect limit on build 660 so it now supports Mediafire links! This only works for pro accounts though. Non-Pro accounts have ads and banners and stuff like that so they can't be used for GetMod.

3. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Is Google Drive still out of the question?

4. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Yep, they are excluded because they force HTTPS. Same with OneDrive.

5. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Yep, found this too. But the Mediafire links are to long for MAS2 Tool...

6. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Mediafire also has some dodgy popup spam.

7. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Maybe, but you don't put the link in with the mas2 tool anyways. So that isn't an issue.

8. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Free account yes. But not the pro accounts. Pro accounts are 24.99 a year and it gives you 1TB of storage and direct links.

I tried GetMod with a link from a friends MF account and it worked. So I got my own MF pro account and hosted my own rfcmp's and I GetMod isn't working on my links. So am am confused now. My friends account did a standard 302 redirect but my account is doing some sort of JavaScript redirect which isn't going to work with rf2. Maybe there is an account setting I need to mess with. I will play more later.

9. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

There is a setting, to remove the download page for direct links. Go to your Mediafire account settings, Download Option and set all 3 to no.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2014
  10. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Okay cool. I am new to MF and haven't even looked at the settings. Good to know there is a setting. I will try it when I get back to the house. Thanks!

11. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Yeah, but only if I use your service. But if I want to put the MF links into the rfcmp files, i must use the MAS2 Tool...and there are the character limited to 64 character. Would be nice, if Dev`s could extend the url field. With MySnipurl it`s working...

12. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

But will a MF link still work if you append the extra "sig" parameter on the end of it?

Edit: nope. Adding ?sig=<sig> to the end breaks the URL.

13. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Man.. it took a while to figure out what the deal was with Mediafire. There are several things you have to do to make GetMod work with your MF account.

First off you need a Pro account. The free accounts don't support direct downloads. If you have a pro account you have to make a few changes to make it work. First is you have to go to the MF page and login with your account. Then click on your username at the top left which brings up a menu and at the bottom of the menu you will see "SSL". You need to switch that to off. rF2 doesn't support SSL (HTTPS). Once that is done, click your username again and then click "Account Settings", then "Download Options" and switch all three of those options to OFF. After that you should be able to use Mediafire links with my tool/service. It took me forever before I noticed that the direct download URLs were redirecting to an HTTPS address unless you turn off that SSL option.

Mediafire seems like a really good deal. For $24.99 USD you get a year subscription to the Pro service which gives you 1TB of storage and a 1TB a month bandwidth limit. Unused monthly bandwidth rolls over to the next month too. You can also buy 1TB of rollover bandwidth for $4.99 just in case you manage to use more than 1TB in a single month and don't have other rollover bandwidth. I am getting amazing transfer rates from them too.

14. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

I have SSL on and it`s working.

//Edit: but upload speed is very slow on my end. A 300 mb file tooks 25 minutes for upload. My tested upload speed is 50 MB/ps.

//Edit2: with Mediafire Desktop it`s a lot faster. Takes ~ 10 seconds for the same upload.

15. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

rF2 doesn't support HTTPS. I have no clue how it could work for you with SSL enabled. If you hit F12 in Chrome and then hit the network tab and then paste a Mediafire link you can see exactly where the 302 redirect takes you. You can see that with SSL enabled it always redirects to an HTTPS address. This will not work with rF2. Lets not post conflicting info and confuse people even more.

16. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Hm...maybe ssl is working for me because of the snipurl... or simply a kind of magic ;-)

By the way, the upload and download speed from MF is very swaying. Doesn`t matter with or without Mediafire Desktop. Tried some more uploads, one is fast, the next 2-3 are very slow. Same with download...

17. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

I don't know how snip would have anything to so with it. The MF links aren't direct. When you go to them they get redirected to the true direct link which has a different domain name and hash in the URL and if you pass that direct link to someone on another computer the link doesn't work. The hash is tied to the IP that requested the original link. So if snip was somehow resolving the final link and then passing it to you without the HTTPS it would fail because the snip server is on another IP address. One thing I noticed in the MF GUI is that the SSL switch would turn in by itself. I would turn it off and next thing you know it was back on. At. One point I turned it off and the URLs were redirecting to HTTP and then I went back to my browser (without refreshing or anything) and then clicked on my username to turn SSL back on and it said it already was but clearly it wasn't. So I turned it off a then back on and the URLs started redirecting to HTTPS again. Mediafire takes advantage of a lot of browser side stuff. My guess is that toggle is a little buggy. At one point in my testing a swear I saw an SSL toggle somewhere else but for the life of me I can't find it now.

18. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Not sure what I am doing wrong. I have added a URL to the track Thruxton 0.5, tested it and it does download but when I have my mod "BTCC 2014 - Round 3" on my server "WRRacing.net Club" it won't download the missing component.

Clipboard.jpg

19. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Did you build that vmod after running my tool? And if so, did you build that vmod on the same machine that you ran the tool on? If so, did you verify that you definitely have this new vmod installed on the server? It my be worth building a new vmod and increment the version number. That way you know for sure that you have the correct vmod installed on the server.

20. Woodee

Woodee Registered

hmmmm.... now works. I guess it never refreshed when I had the same version number.

Now that vMod is made, could I change the track URL at anytime?