AMD 14.4 Amazing driver thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Thrindil, Apr 29, 2014.

1. Thrindil

Thrindil Registered

I won't be able to update my drivers this week yet, so I ask you guys to post your thoughts and results with this god driver.
    Share the happiness!

2. madquad

madquad Registered

with all the detail to the maximum, I get 20 to 35 fps more, uff not believe it yet.http://isiforums.net/f/images/icons/icon10.png

3. madquad

madquad Registered

big step

with the same settings, 20 to 35 fps more, all at maximum 20 AI;);): O

4. bwana

bwana Registered

5. Minibull

Minibull Member

Oh man, this sounds awesome. I'm downloading them now and hope to find a similar increase. Seems amazing now though.

6. Thrindil

Thrindil Registered

7. bwana

bwana Registered

Good call Thrindil :)

8. jim percy

jim percy Registered

I can confirm the same here on hd7850, almost double the frame rates and an improvement in overall image quality, where i could only run 9 ai before with around 40fps at monaco with the spark and eve at the start of a race, i am now getting 75fps with 15 ai at race start. Massive improvement making rf2 finally enjoyable for me! I also see improvement in gsc2013 with the new driver for those that have ati cards running that sim, i wonder what has changed exactly, but ati have got it together with this one.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2014
  9. Miro

Miro Registered

The beta driver 14.3 was just as good as this 14.4 new one. Ironicaly, installed a new CPU and a new MoBo at the same time, new windows insatal too.
    After that I tried a mod and thought geeez this mod looks good lol. But afterwards I realized that just everything looks better now and the performance increased quite a lot.
    Was about to post it in the 660 build thread but thought people would say it's pacebo again as I seriously thought it's down to the new intel CPU lol. The 14.3 beta driver was there a few weeks already I think. I made a video and was even asked if I have a new gfx card.

Thing is I was just about to switch to nVidia, so no idea what to do now. :confused:

10. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

I made the switch after two bad personal experiences with drivers. The HD3850 drivers, which actually made some games at the time not run at all, and the 5870 compared to an nVidia card that was supposed to be about the same, but didn't really seem consistently so on different drivers. This all has to be about your own experiences really, as there's probably so many people who have bad nVidia stories as well that everything probably evens out. :D

11. Minibull

Minibull Member

This is amazing. I have a 7850 factory OC model and an old Q6600 quad core @ 3 Ghz.
    I used to run high track, player and texture settings, high shadows, optimum shadow blur, reflections all off, AA on level 4. Sometimes for certain tracks I'd have to drop some of the settings too, like Silverstone, and even then I wouldn't get a good 60 fps all the time.
    I would also have constant little hitches, like micro frame drops and stutters.

Chucked these drivers on and I am currently testing at Max track, player, textures, shadows, quality shadow blur, reflections on low, soft particles on high, AA on max ingame and I am pulling a constant 60fps with no drops AT ALL around Silverstone while the game runs buttery smooth, all the little hitches are gone. I am properly stunned at this, the game looks amazing and it runs amazing as well. I now need to get some AI and get on the grid, see what happens.

Bloody amazing stuff though, I dearly hope it gives the same result to everyone else.

What makes this better IMO, is that I have what I would consider to be old hardware. The CPU has been running since 2008, overclocked since day 1. The graphics card is now a wee bit old. And yet it now runs brilliantly. I can see everyone on i5 type systems with modern AMD graphics cards will have no problems pulling big framerates on max everything.

12. Radon711

Radon711 Registered

Reporting in pretty much overhaul of gaming experience.

No more plague of the stutter and random lag even with twenty-four cars and full graphics, didn't alter anything further than restoring FFB updates to default from one-quarter. This update has literally transformed RF2's performance over here.

13. kimisecond

kimisecond Registered

My 7850 didnt improve though... I'm getting crazy about that

14. kimikaze

kimikaze Registered

What about older cards like 5000 and 6000 series(which has also support from this driver)? Is there anyone who "need" inform us about results? :) Is there any improvement for rest of us who use older hardware? Thnx

15. Minibull

Minibull Member

14.4 is available for the HD5000 series...so I would assume you would see some improvement. Give it a shot and see what happens.

16. bwana

bwana Registered

I run a 5700 series and 14.4 is the best thing since .. since.. RF2

17. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Here's what I posted in the other thread, with a new additon at the bottom:

Massive improvement with these drivers, at first I could'nt believe my eyes so I reinstalled the 13.12 drivers and did it again!

Using Fraps, replay at Silverstone International, 130seconds long:

Frames: 5734 - Time: 130000ms - Avg: 44.108 - Min: 25 - Max: 80

Frames: 8612 - Time: 130000ms - Avg: 66.246 - Min: 46 - Max: 99

Frames: 5721 - Time: 130000ms - Avg: 44.008 - Min: 25 - Max: 77

Frames: 8664 - Time: 130000ms - Avg: 66.646 - Min: 47 - Max: 99

That is by far the biggest jump in FPS I've ever seen with RF2, a whopping 50% increase! With the Heaven Benchmark the results are pretty much the same so something that AMD have done has improved RF2 in a big way.
    Maybe, just maybe AMD cards will perform equally to nVidea in this game now....happy days :)

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

I cant get over how amazing these new drivers are, I've now got:

Circuit Detail = Full - previously High
    Shadows on = Max - previously High
    Environment Reflection = High - previously Off
    Wind and Crowd Motion = Yes - previously Off

..and after all that with 19 AI on Silverstone International I'm still getting over 60 FPS at race start whereas previously I was getting 50-54 with 13.12 and previous in game settings. Ok wet weather with the road reflections & spray does drift the FPS below 60 but never once saw it go as low as 50 in a heavy AI/Spray situation, once the field settled down again it went 65-70+

14.4 have breathed a masssive gulp of fresh air into the graphics of this Sim for me, simply cant get over the improvements...FINALLY AMD ARE THERE :D :D :D

-=-=-=-=-=-

In addition to the above I used to run 4x AA (RF2 controlled), that's now gone upto 8x!

18. kimikaze

kimikaze Registered

I don't want anymore just trying and trying. In past, every time there was new driver for 7000 and new 200 series(which also support 5 and 6 series), there was almost non improvement in performance(at least for me). After tenth and tenth of newest drivers i try, i still use the 12.11(i think is beta). So i simply don't want to waste my time anymore just to find out, as it seems from past experience AMD has "abandoned" older cards, although they "support" it.

19. kimikaze

kimikaze Registered

Thnx, a few more positive reports and maybe i try it :)

20. jayblue

jayblue Registered

Went to download these drivers for my son's older Vista based machine running a HD6950 2GB. Latest driver for Vista is 13.12.

If i were on the same card but Windows 7 i could use the 14.4 driver however.