New rig for rf2 and 3d modelling...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tjc, Apr 22, 2014.

1. tjc

tjc Registered

Hi guys...

Well, at last I`m in a position to upgrade the old pc. I`m building a new rig for sim racing (games in general) and 3d modelling/rendering as I`m off to college at the end of summer to study modelling/game dev etc (or something similar) I have to decide which course out of 2-3 I`ve found to do...

Anyway, here`s what I`m thinking about getting:

Card:

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 780 WindForce 3072MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card - http://www.v-c-s-shop.co.uk/Gigabyt...-0-Graphics-Card?language=en&currency=GBP#all

CPU:

Intel Core i5-4670K 3.40GHz (Haswell) Socket LGA1150 - http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CP-470-IN&groupid=701&catid=6

Motherboard:

MSI Z87-G45 Gaming Series Intel Z87 (Socket 1150) DDR3 ATX - http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MB-235-MS

RAM:

Corsair Vengeance Pro Silver 16GB DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Dual Channel Memory Kit - http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MY-384-CS&groupid=701&catid=8&subcat=1390

PSU:

EVGA SuperNova NEX 650W '80 Plus Gold' Modular Power Supply - http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-001-EA

http://www.dabs.com/products/evga-6...0W '80 Plus Gold' Modular Power Supply&src=16

Case:

Thermaltake Chaser A31 Gaming Windowed Case - Black/Blue - http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-142-TT&groupid=2362&catid=2044

Cooling:

Corsair Hydro H100i High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler - http://www.dabs.com/products/corsai...Cases, Cooling and Power - Cooling&origin=pla

I need a new keyboard/mouse setup too (wireless) so any suggestions on that would be good. I also need a new CD/DVD drive but not thought about that yet...

I always get input on this stuff from DD, as he helped me build my very first rig so I value his advice very much. :)

Be interested to see what you guys think though.

:)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2014
  2. UnitedRacingDesign

UnitedRacingDesign Registered

I have Intel Core i5-4670K 3.40GHz with Motherboard MSI Z87-G43 LGA1150 ATX and it runs great for games and working.

3. jpalesi

jpalesi Registered

On 3D modeling, one thing to keep in mind is : RAM. This motherboard has a 64 Gb limit, which is good, but it seems it has 4 slots.
    I'm not a pro in this stuff so someone else could confirm, but if later you want to upgrade, you'll either only be able to have 32 Gb by adding again the same RAM (4x8 instead of 4x2), or you'll lose these 16 Gb to get 4x16 Gb of RAM.

I currently have 16 Gb which is about enough, but 32 Gb would be better, more would be useless. If it's not done yet, try to make sure what will be needed in this area.

4. UnitedRacingDesign

UnitedRacingDesign Registered

Same here, 16gb is enough sofar and 32gb should actually be more than enough for upcoming years. 4 slots are fine and once you update you can get some good deals allready with quad kits and sell the older ones.

5. Murtaya

Murtaya Registered

Not entirely sure on this but you might benefit from quad channel memory for 3d modelling, if so and important enough you would have to go for the other intel architecture 1155 is it? Think that's the only type that supports quad channel I could be wrong. If that's right though you would want different mobo, cpu and obviously a quad channel ram kit. I don't think the price is that much different, but it might be.

What I will say is you could get a better featured case for the same money, also from overclockers. I would avoid dabs, I have given them a lot of custom in the past but they are so big now that their customer service is totally sucky, fine until something goes wrong, then you are guaranteed to be without it for at least 3 weeks, even on a brand new DOA item. All the while getting palmed off with scripted and awkward customer service policies should you bother to contact them.

6. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

If that involves heavy rendering as well, I wouldnt buy less than i7.

7. tjc

tjc Registered

Ok, good stuff guys, thanks for all the replies... :)

So, it seems that an i7 may be needed instead of an i5 as (eventually) I will be doing a lot of rendering.

For now then at least, 16GB of RAM should do the trick and if I eventually have a need for more at least I know I can get it. (I take onboard your point though jpalesi)

@ Murtaya

I`ll research the quad channel memory too... pity youv`e had bad experiences with Dabs though as some of their stuff costs a good bit less than at other places. Good info though...

When I first saw the case I thought it looked good and I think it does but I`ve also been looking at other cases so I`ll see about that.

@ Paul Loatman

Interesting stuff on how rf2 runs etc, 20 cars with max graphics etc is a dream for me just now, hopefully that`ll change though.

I`ve never oc`d anything I`ve had yet as it really wasn`t worth it, if I manage to get myself a rig that doesn`t really need to be oc`d for any reason then I probably won`t bother... food for thought though.

I actually have three HDD`s ready to go so ok for them but do need a SSD... I don`t really mind cleaning my pc but I`ll keep your info in mind.

The list in my first post is not final and things can be changed as long as it all gives me the rig I want/need... nothing has been ordered yet.

Interesting stuff though guys...

:)

8. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Really wouldn't worry about going with an i5 over an i7. It'll save you money, both on the CPU cost and the motherboard. Only worth it if your a heavy to full-time 3d renderer. It's really of no consequence otherwise. You say your planning to work on game modelling which means your going to be doing diddly squat of rendering and 16gb is way more than you need already, I only have 8gb and do a lot of heavy rendering scenes (for videos) without an issue (on an i5 too).

Sort of pointless buying the i7 for that which you'll only do 0.1% of the time on your pc.

9. o0thx11380o

o0thx11380o Registered

Ive been doing 3d modeling in the film industry for about seven years now and have learned a lot about what kind of hardware gets you the best results. If you really just plan to do 3d modeling then the number of cores your cpu has, doesn't help much. Most modeling threads only use one or two cores anyway. If you plan to do a lot of rendering as well then you will want as much ram as possible and as many cores as possible. Even still, you will only need more than 12 gigs ram if you are creating huge scenes. A gaming card should also be fine but you might not be able to use certain features of certain programs, like iray or vrayrt (realtime rendering)... to their full potential. Gaming cards are limited by their drivers. It's not that pro cards are that much better but the drivers for a game card will not be written with professional use in mind. That being said I can run maya and modo no problem if I make sure the nvidia control panel is set to application controlled... almost no problems. Anyway if you are just doing relatively small personal projects your dont need to go crazy but as a general rule get a cpu with as many cores as possible. It will let you grow and do more. Don't wast money of getting 64 gigs of ram. That will most likely be overkill. Also get an SSD drive for your main operating system install, and get a standard 7200 rpm drive for your storage.

10. tjc

tjc Registered

Ok, interesting post again...

I started the thread to get peoples opinions on the sort of rig I`d need/like for what`s in the title... rf2 (and general gaming at max settings etc) and 3d modelling/rendering...

Whilst I take your point when you say "diddly squat of rendering" that does only cover what I`ll be doing/learning when at college and possibly for myself, doing car models etc, I may not be doing much heavy rendering for that but i also use Blender and I`m using that for different, more art based stuff and have already found out that it takes a fair bit of grunt to render a decent scene...

I`m not arguing with your point, simply saying that I may be doing more rendering than you think so therefore wouldn`t the i7 etc be worth getting anyway?

11. tjc

tjc Registered

Like I said to DrR1pper, for now, I may not be doing huge renders etc, I`ll be learning to model/render but I guess they won`t be "massive". I`m just thinking it would be good to have what I know will be able to do large renders etc in the future and let me "grow". :)

I`ll be getting a SSD but I have 3 HDD`s already so covered there...

More food for thought so cheers.

12. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

While SSDs are great for opening Windows and all programs installed there super quick, they cannot make the actual work in a program any quicker.

13. Hectari

Hectari Registered

Not all of the quads, my i7 4820K is 2011 socket.

14. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

That will monster rF2 @ 1920

Who cares how fast it renders model cars in 3ds

lopl ;)

hehehe

15. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

It is true.

I think the last 100 budget of any High performance gaming PC should go towards CPU or GPU and a very good cooler. ( esp with HOT 4670K )

But then next port of call would def be a small SSD to run your OS, the little bit of time it makes up in setup, image backup, desktop snappiness at times is nice to have.

Still I have a Sata1 I run on my system hotplugged with another OS on it for testing, once it is going really I hardly notice the difference from my SSD.

16. Luc Van Camp

Luc Van Camp Track Team Staff Member

Saving Autobackup files can seriously disturb the flow when working on large files. WD Blacks in RAID10 are working quite well here, though I guess a SSD will still be a lot faster. Still a good speed/space/value compromise though IMHO.

17. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

For "encoding rendering" if you going to spend a extra 100 quid you do not really have to spend a Intel i7 would bring more performance gain / time savings then the more expensive SSD upgrade. :) ie: 4670K to 4770K upgrade is cheaper then a SSD

P.S.

Either the 4670K or 4770K will smack rF2's bum blue so for gaming both the i7 and SSD upgrades imho are pretty irrelevant apart from load times in games ( Save 30 seconds maybe a minute every hour or so )

i7 does have advantage in hyper thread games, won't help rF2.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2014
  18. tjc

tjc Registered

I suppose, all said and done, that`s what I`m after... something that will handle "next gen" sims etc and (eventually) doing quality modelling and rendering. I won`t be doing the "heavy" rendering for some time probably so I`m kind of thinking I should try and get the rig that`ll do me now instead of building a good sim rig that`s going to possibly need upgrading in the future again to do the rendering etc...

I`m thinking that the SSD could possibly wait for now and be bought in the near(ish) future...

Me! :)

Well I`m delighted to hear that I`ll be "smacking rf2`s bum" with the new rig :p but...

As I`ve said D, I want a rig that`ll game/sim and model/render too...

I`m upgrading now when I have the money saved for it... I`d rather not have to upgrade again sometime sooner in the future than I`m thinking...

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2014
  19. Empty Box

Empty Box Registered

Are you replacing the rig you built while Dragon Racing was still a thing, tjc? Still remember the thread *ahem* Hammer *ahem* was talking you through building it, pretty fun stuff.

20. Liquid4653

Liquid4653 Registered

Hey tjc mate,

I will say there is a lot of talk about i5 and i7 here, so I thought I would explain some stuff.

1.there is little to no benefit going to an i7 over an i5 in both gaming and rendering in 3ds max. 3ds max does not make use of the virtualised cores to any physical benefit and I have yet to see any scenario where it used all 4 physical cores either, and they are certainly not used in games, facts which are easily google-able if you want proper clarification. Also worth noting - 3ds max is cuda compatible and I do my rendering off of the gpu which is faster than cpu anyway and with a 780, it will be quite a margin.

2.16gb ram is perfect, certainly for the scale of things your likely to be dealing with. I haven't even come close to using 16gb in max. It is also worth noting that high bandwidth or low latency ram makes less of a difference to performance the way the architecture is today post Sandybridge. There are performance improvements but they are very slight and probably not worth the extra it will cost over 1600mhz ram, but then it's your money.

3.SSD's as pointed out only speed up access. The one pet hate I have is both rF2 and 3ds max seem to take forever loading compared to other programs. Also make sure you buy one that is big enough, splitting stuff to a small ssd and another mechanical drive really is not worth it in the long run and was primarily used as a mechanism for saving expense. In short, if you cant afford one that allows windows and programs space I would forget it. If your machine spends most of it's time on I would forget it as well lol.

4.Check advice mentioned here - there are a few howlers in this thread, know before you buy.

Your on the right track with an intel cpu, IPC(Instructions per Clock/Cycle) is still king today even with multi-core software and cpu's - it's an area where AMD sadly is lacking, and video card selection is not an option either given the way any of the gmotor games are, NV is the way to go in this case lol.

I will mention that my advice is based off years of making systems both privately and commercially - I only refer it so you get some idea as to where I am coming from;-)

Again the info is online - I just can't be arsed to do the hunting lol but then I bet you can;-).

Also, get an aftermarket cooler and a 'k' series cpu because any i5 will do 4.4/4.5ghz and offer a lot better performance for your money.

That's it from me matey, if you would like to discuss more pm me or grab me over at Mak Corp:)