So difficult to join servers, no info where to download cars/tracks, ridiculous

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Spinelli, Apr 18, 2014.

1. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

In rF1 I could join servers as long as I had the right content. Now I am locked out because I don't have some track that the admin MAY decide to use. Basically I played more rF1 online in 1 week than I have in a year of rF2.

"Hey there, would you like to race on our server for 20 or 30 minutes? Sure you can, just go download 15 other tracks first even though you only feel like playing on 1 or 2 tracks for a half hour or so" LOL most ridiculous philosophy of any videogame in existence.

2. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

How many times are you going to tell us this? We got it. It is being worked on.

3. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Other than that current limitation, and just the whole "pre-determined track list" thing in general, the current mod system is obviously way better. The unique ID's which can detect if you have the exact correct version that the server is using is awesome :)

4. MJP

MJP Registered

The Clio pacecar gets installed in the data path not the core, however you're right about the ModManager allowing people to remove stuff they shouldn't.

In fact it was because people deleting the Clio pacecar ISI packaged it up as a separate download for people who had done this. Unfortunately they made it so it uses a different vehicle folder so you end up with 2 different Clio pacecars which can lead to problems when you download (or make) a vmod that specifies a Clio pacecar.

You can see this by installing the separate Clio pacecar download and then try making a vmod and you'll see you have a choice of 2 Clio pacecars (assuming you haven't deleted the one that comes with the Lite build lol).

5. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Oh yeah your right it is in the datapath. But packaging it in a vmod isn't going to cause a duplicate unless it has a different sig. You can add a GetMod URL without changing the sig. The only thing that changes the sig is the component name, version and MAS files. If done right you will not cause a mess.

6. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Have you released your tool for that Noel? Or is it done with the existing tools?

7. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Search for a thread started by me titled "Component Builder". You can use that tool to repack a mod with a new URL. It is designed to do more than just change URLs though. I want to release a new tool that is specifically for changing the URL and registering.

8. Empty Box

Empty Box Registered

No, my upload speed is so beyond terrible it's useless for hosting.

9. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

What's your upload speed?...

My upload speed is 5 Mbit/s (I wish companies stopped using the whole "megabit" thing, and went to megabytes and kilobytes like everyone is familiar with) which equates to around 600 kilobytes/s or 0.6 megabytes/s. I would have thought this was good enough to support at least 6 or 7 people....No??...

Haven't actually tried with rF2 yet because of the hassle of setting up "quick" hosting, but when I occasionally play Game Stock Car online I usually go lapping around in my own session and I've seen 5 people run perfdctly fine.

I used to do a lot of the same with rF1, only with a 1 Mbit upload speed (rather than my current 5 Mbit) and things used to stay smooth, for the most part, up until 5-ish people.

10. BlaringFiddle5

BlaringFiddle5 Registered

+infinity

11. stonec

stonec Registered

It's also partly server admin stupidity to set up a vmod with 10 tracks. On a random public server, I see very few reasons to have that many tracks in rotation. The idea is to have a vmod with a couple of tracks, say max 5. Then you download once that content, and you dont't have to worry about that anymore.

12. BlaringFiddle5

Really?? i've seen nothing from staff about them ever doing anything about the vmod goofiness.

I'm telling you - i've worked IT for 18 years now, and even I have trouble joining rFactor2 servers. How do you expect a normal user to be able to do it? This difficulty with vmods and so on is the reason for the very small amount of people racing online - period.

13. Woodee

Woodee Registered

In the meantime are server admins still putting up servers with no getmod details in the tracks and cars? and a lot of tracks per vMod? Yes they are, and there is pretty much nothing we can do about it unless we start a name and shame list.

14. BlaringFiddle5

Most of the server i tried to join over the weekend didn't even have vmod available ... its to difficult to join a server let alone set one up. Pointing fingers will not raise the number of folk online.

15. Sam Moss

Sam Moss Registered

50% of the problems is the Admins doing this and there is no reason for 20 tracks in a vmod, but its a pain the ass constantly updating a vmod every time you want a new rotation etc. The other 50% of the problem is the way ISI forced us to use vmods. We've only been saying this since multiplayer was first released to revert back to the rF1 system..

16. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Well surely if you liked the rF1 system you would play that?

What I am saying is server admins are partly at fault... we have these tools the way they are at the moment, we could either rant on and on and go around circles until ISI comes up with a more suitable system, or we should get our asses into the servers that DO work.

17. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

It's been hinted at. You will just have to trust me on this one.

I totally agree that this is what is holding back online racing. But seriously, aside from the need to have all the tracks to join a server, which as I said will be fixed in the future, what else can ISI do? The framework is there. Do you really expect ISI to contact all server admins and ask for a copy of all their components so they can fix the getmod URLs and host for them?

As is said before, I have tools internally for automatically repacking rfcmps with your own GetMod URL and then registering it on my service. I have them for internal so they are just commandline tools and have my username/password and URL hardcoded. But as we speak I am adding a setting dialog and polishing them up for public use. The tool should be out some time today.

The process will go like this. Gather up all the rfcmp's you want to host. Then for each rfcmp you will go through these steps:

Right click on a rfcmp, then select "Change URL" it will then pop up a dialog prompting for your GetMod URL. It will automatically supply the URL you used last. Click ok and it will repackage the rfcmp using the same filename and the old rfcmp will be renamed to *.rfcmp.back. Now put this rfcmp on your webhost (Dropbox works well) and then get a download URL on your clipboard. Now right click on the rfcmp again and this time select "Register...". A dialog will pop up with the details about the component such as the sig, name and category. You just paste your download URL and then click register. It will then connect to my webservice using your account and register the component automatically.

Now you have a GetMod enabled component. Just install this component on your server and build a vmod with it.

18. Sam Moss

Sam Moss Registered

I could go play rF1 but its far too dated now and haven't raced it for a few years now as sims have moved on in leaps and bounds.

We could get our asses into servers, but after 2 years of Beta the people I race with are so fed up with waiting around for things to be fixed we've shelved rF2 till ISI decide to fix the issues with the game. We'll keep a close eye on how its progressing, but I doubt we'll be renewing our subscription come June.

19. Woodee

Woodee Registered

That is a shame, because it isn't broken. I have been racing it every week. I wonder whether their "fix list" will ever be fulfilled or will there always be something stopping them using it when it is quite clearly functional.

20. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

As more and more leagues pick it up (which they are), the leagues that stubbornly stayed behind will also move forward or risk losing members. I am amazed at the number of league forums I read from time to time where people shelve rF2 for reasons that have been fixed a long time ago. You can casually follow the ISI forums and know whether your problems are solved or not. It's a fact though that rF2 system reqs are much higher. Although with time the sim is running better on slower systems. But if the admin's rig isn't capable, he will convince his whole league that the sim isn't ready. rF1 came out in 2005.... clearly rF2 isn't going to run on hardware from 2005.