So difficult to join servers, no info where to download cars/tracks, ridiculous

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Spinelli, Apr 18, 2014.

1. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Ya I know Woodee, if you look at my previous posts you'll see that the manual way was a final option backup plan, just in case maybe the website hosting the file changed the link for whatever reason and the rF2 server admins didn't know. In that extremely rare case you would have to just go to the website manually and find it, well unless the rF2 server admins listed more than one URL for the track / car download in which case the auto download should still work and just try another URL.

2. Woodee

Woodee Registered

I have even wondered with most of the tracks I have downloaded which have no URL, I have thought about hosting them myself in dropbox and putting a new URL in, but wasn't sure if I could because I didn't make the tracks or compiled them.

3. Woodee

Woodee Registered

In light of there being a lack of download areas for content, if I am able to adjust GetMod url's and use dropbox then I will.

If you wish to help, referring each other gains more space on dropbox, so keep the chain going https://db.tt/mpuu99D8

4. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

I their defense, nothing gets logged when people try to join but can't get past GetMod. So really admins think no one is trying. It would be a good idea for ISI to start logging "attempts" so admins get an better idea of how many people they are frustrating. In rF1 people were able to join an after joining they got a mismatch. So at least as an admin you knew something was up. I would check in on our server to see if any of our drivers were struggling and try to contact them. But this was a league server were I actually had a way to contact someone.

My GetMod system does log attempts. Not sure if you have seen it but log in an click the Log link. I check this from time to time to see if I notice repeated attempts to download the same component from the same IP over and over. That is usually a good indication that the link is bad. I have also considered doing some scheduled dead link scans and email admins if they have any components with dead links. I don't want to drive people nuts with lots of emails so I didn't want to implement that without putting some real thought into it.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2014
  5. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Can download links for current tracks, that have none, be added?

6. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

You still miss the point of the Mod concept.

If you want endless mismatches and track versions and fixes like every other Motor2 sim I onlined then we can go back to that.

Trying to convince Tim, anyone from ISI, or people that understand the reasoning behind the new concept would be a losing game.

Positives outweigh the negatives :) i mean imo

7. Empty Box

Empty Box Registered

8. Empty Box

Empty Box Registered

I dunno, I was attempting ot join a server for probably an hour off and on earlier today, couldn't join. The culprit? Missing the Clio Pace car, which I had installed. I figure I'd uninstall it as it's ISI content, allowed the game to download it - still nothing. Downloaded from the ISI site and installed it with the mod manager - still nothing. I checked offline to make sure it was installed and working, sure enough, the pace car was there and was a Clio. I gave up and decided on some offline play because everything else available wasn't appealing to me.

So yea, we've really improved things! :rolleyes:

Like I said, it's a lose lose situation either way. As it is right now though, forcing people to download tracks in particular that they don't want is useless, it's flat out bloatware if you don't want them. 95% of the tracks out there are trash, I'd rather not spend my time downloading trash that I will never use.

9. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Ah I don't install pace cars mate, I use BT20 ( I install only Historic cars and Karts )

I don't think that works with all / cars components and/or all installed though.

Like if you have certain mods another car will be pace car if no clio. Someone told me they had the Camaro.

My rooms has no flags so no pace cars.
    People can still obey pit rules, good practice.... and you still get waved yellow and blues. ;)

10. Luis Armstrong

Luis Armstrong Banned

Need some adjustments but it will could be perfect.
    I think there is 2 choices:
    1 - playing whats is showing in server now and being booted when you don´t have the content needed (like battlefield which works but with payed dlcs)
    2- Or like ISi is trying to implement: you only play with all content required by servers.

I don´t know if is an easy solution technically speaking but ideally to me is if ISI way was an option to the first one. Now there are pay mods and probably at some point tracks too. If they become popular ISI will redirect us to online shop site as option? And if i really want that round with F1 1991 on interlagos but server says that im missing some eccentric payed ui for only 0,99 cents. I should have this hypothetical ui to play the mod i want? So if minimalist ui recent released starts to charge any price, who already bought one of the pay mods will have to buy too the minimalist ui if the most populated hypothetical server says so?
    Then maybe plugins. Thats was not because of this most people complain about iracing?

Won´t be much easier to implement something like this: Matchmaker~on mouse over red button sync with your intalled folder~check mod name version, check track name and version~ OK~ green/join on servers ~ Not ok, option to download content and even the pages to buy the mod or track or ui, or whatever.
    End race- check server mod and track names, sync with your installed folder the 1. boot 2. continue

If people are wining about having to download something they don´t want you could imagine when you have to buy something.

11. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

But if you dont have mod IDs even that first track could be a different version.

still dont get it do you

12. Luis Armstrong

Luis Armstrong Banned

someday maybe... :p

13. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Also you have 2 things Motor2 never had.

car select
    skin select

This means you can have trackdays mod rather then have to make a specific mod like in other motor2

That means in a league or any room you could hypothetically have all your series running in a single mod.

IE: with car select when you restart session in practice you can all swap cars boot to another track and race whatever. :)
    That would not be possible without MOD IDs and associated system.

All with time of day, weather, rubber , 100 other things pre set will not need to be touched by users ( ie: practicing offline )

That I see as advantages of system progressing.

P.S> atm there is bugs with weather saving and car select, once ironed out it be spot on.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2014
  14. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Only way around it is iRacings method.

But MOD ID just gives you more freedom way I see it.
    Besides the fact you can offline.

I really thought that would be a good thing for your average simmer ?
    Mod manager you can make your own private mods too ?
    All in menu with your name on them and loading picture.

A lot easier then making championships in other motor2 for a novice. ;)

15. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

By Diffuser ...........

rF2 mmmm ...click MAS2 click create put name of series add cars and tracks you want click package click install

lol

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2014
  16. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

This is what I use atm mate.

View attachment 12426

Thanks to DJC for MSP idea

17. Woodee

Woodee Registered

18. Murtaya

Murtaya Registered

I had this yesterday as well and the pace car was installed ok, I've had it for ages, so this is some bug. I think it would be fair to say that since 494 multiplayer has been less reliable than it was prior to that build, which shows it's an area that's being worked on. Some of it is the program, some of it is server admins getting up to speed with a new build and its changes/ problems. People need to calm down and understand that we are working with the skeleton of what will hopefully become a fully fleshed out seamless online racing experience. Until that time we have to work with it and help iron out the bugs, or just forget about it until they say "we're finished". Sometimes bones have to be re-broken for the long term correct healing process.
    Emptybox when you decided to play offline with the combo you enjoy did you think about hosting it? Maybe nobody joins, in which case it is the same experience you got while offline, but if someone joins and is introduced to a combo they haven't tried suddenly you have started something new. Could be one race, could end up a nightly session with your favourite combo racing against like minded people you never met from halfway around the globe. If you put a post in the server thread saying I am running xy combo between 7 and 10pm every tuesday, and do it, pretty soon you will have people racing you in cars you enjoy at tracks you enjoy. It is possible, just not one click possible, yet. Whenever a new build comes out there is a period of settling in, stability testing itself gets tested upon a new release.

19. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

ISI's Clio is default content. It is actually installed in to core rather then the datapath. You should never uninstall it. The other problem with the Clio is it doesn't have a GetMod URL unlike all of the other ISI content. So if you are missing it then it will not auto download. I repackaged the Clio for our league and included a GetMod URL and because I left everything else unchanged, the sig doesn't change so it is still compatible with the Clio that is build into the core.

A good practice is to not uninstall any of the default content that comes with rF2 Lite. People assume you have it. There are lots of cars that depend on some of the default content. TMTires for example. The same was true in rF1. The ModMgr makes it so easy to manage content that people remove stuff they shouldn't. In rF1 people never thought to remove TMTires. ISI should hide the default content from the ModMgr so it doesn't get uninstalled.

20. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

I used to exactly the same thing in the rF1 days. 9 times out of 10 no one could join me though because of mismatches. Hahaha. Oh yeah the anarchy in rF1 was sooooo much better than rF2. Hahaha!