Can't launch rfactor 2(need help)!

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by GTClub_wajdi, Apr 16, 2014.

1. scalino

scalino Registered

ok I'll do that. (i had to make a break for diverse reasons, sorry for that, I'll finish this soon)

2. dradecki

dradecki Registered

1> Did. Executables in C:\Program Files (x86)\rFactor2 Data in: C:\Users\Dave\Documents\rFactor2
    2> The main window didn't appear, but the process was listed in the task manager.
    3> Did. Again no difference.

3. Jeremy Miller

Jeremy Miller Former ISI Senior Programmer

OK great. If you can. Make a backup of your .rFactor folder in C:\Users\<name>\AppData\Roaming then delete it and try to launch the launcher again. Then re activate using the 798 launcher.

If this works I would want to see the backup you made of the .rfactor folder. Do not attach it to the forum. I will get a FTP location running as soon as I can. If not can you PM me your login credentials.

4. Jonathon LeFaive

Jonathon LeFaive Registered

It's been reported to us that Ati Tray Tools may prevent the Launcher from running. Does anyone here experiencing a Launcher start problem also have ATT installed and running?

5. scalino

scalino Registered

Hi,

well, i got the problem too (Win7 64bits), and I'm on a NVidia GeForce graphics cards. Although, there's some tray agent running on these things too...

One recent observation I could make was that the sooner I start the launcher after the Windows user session's opening, the better were the odds to see it appearing.

I then put a shortcut in the "Startup" program group in my Start Menu. It has properly started on all reboots since then, whatever the length of time it stayed on the login screen (from which I concluded the conflicting process was probably not a Windows service).

So, first I decided to come here to make a list of the processes being executed on my machine at session's startup (from HLKM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run register key), so we could see if we find some common ground among those who got the issue... :

- Classic Start Menu (ClassicStartMenu.exe) - just an overlay of windows 7 start menu, allowing to choose between the win7 style or the xp style of start menu
    - HotKeysCmds (system32\hkcmd.exe)
    - IgfxTray (system32\IgfxTray.exe)
    - Persistence (system32\igfxpers.exe)
    - Nvtmru (NVIDIA Update Core\nvtmru.exe)
    - RTHDVCPL (Realtek\RtkNGUI64.exe -s) - config panel of internal audio card
    - SaiVolume (Saitek\CyborgKeyboard\SaiVolume.exe) - manage volume settings from my keyboard
    - ShadowPlay (system32\rundll32.exe ..\system32\nvspcap64.dll,ShadowPlayOnSystemStart) - this is described as "NVIDIA Capture Server" (probably allowing it to detect keys being pressed for certain desktop operations, I'd say)
    - Start Wingman Profiler (Logitech\Gaming Software\LWEMon.exe /noui)

Would you ISI guys have any idea regarding which one might be the conflicting one?

Besides, some of them won't be possible to discard.

Good hunt... ;)

6. Jonathon LeFaive

Jonathon LeFaive Registered

IgfxTray is a graphics tweaker like ATI Tray Tools, AMD Catalyst, etc. I would try closing the IgfxTray.exe process and then try to start the Launcher.

7. scalino

scalino Registered

hey guys... long time ago in another galaxy, but I think I found the little b****rd which prevented (my) launcher to start again after being closed (or to start at all if I wait too long after windows session opens): it's called "EzUpdate" and it's a part of "AI Suite II" an integrated software suite / monitoring tool for ASUS motherboards.

Actually you won't find it in your registry (regedit.exe) or in any windows init files. You have to open AI Suite's parameters (among tray icons) and uncheck "EZ Update" in the "update" group of checkboxes.

Once it's not running, launcher can be opened/closed several times, no problem anymore! :p

Hope it can help... :)

8. scalino

scalino Registered

just to add a precision - mostly for developer's general culture, actually EzUpdate is still launched with the whole AI suite thingy (and it's probably a windows service which handles this AI Suite), however without this checkbox (cf post above) checked, it doesn't look for update anymore, and that's when it fires an exception on kernel32.dll (at address 7536136D, writing of address CCCCCCC0).

This in turn must disturb kernel32.dll (or its "relation" with the system) and the launcher will most likely need it to run properly...

So a,yway... I don't think you can do anything to avoid that in Launcher's code, now obviously this is not ISI's fault, here... ;) [problem solved as far as i'm concerned]