Can't launch rfactor 2(need help)!

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by GTClub_wajdi, Apr 16, 2014.

1. scalino

scalino Registered

ok, could you answer my questions then please? (I copy them below for practical purposes)

- do the following keys in windows registry are used by ANYTHING else than windows itself (that means: launcher, core engine, plugins)?
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\rFactor2\CorePath & DataPath, HKCURRENTUSER\Software\rFactor2\Start Path (which doesn't include the disk letter)

- is it still possible to have several _working_ installation instances of rFactor2, all in build 798, as expected? (and the question above is crucial for this one)

- does the line '.\' in the Core\data.path file is still interpreted as the root installation folder or should it always says the full path of the data folder (cause that's not what the installations and updates are actually doing)?

------------------
    couple of further observations I could make these late days:
    - given a working full instance of build 798 (by "full" i mean core & data in same location), I noticed that (without touching anything in it or in windows / no installation whatsoever in between, no win updates aside defender definitions): one day i'ts working perfectly; next day, I opened my windows session and then it took me some time before I got onto my pc in order to run the launcher --> it didn't launch. I reboot, open windows session, and right after active desktop has fully been displayed and explorer finished loading track bar's agents --> it launches perfectly. And it's not the first time I had this behavior (meaning the time between windows session opening and first attempt to run the launcher seems to play a role), so I really tend to think there's some kind of external interference with some other process in windows (maybe that would load a common dll that the launcher uses, or sth like that...)
    - granted that I manage several "full" instances of rf2 (a main one only upgraded after I know the build is ok; a testing one for testing upgrades, and I'm planning to have more), I noticed that, given 2 working full instances: if I got the issue on the launcher of say Instance1, even after killing its process in task manager, the launcher of Instance2 isn't working anymore. (once again, reboot, and it usually works - depending on time from session opening)

hope that could help you guys...

2. MystaMagoo

MystaMagoo Registered

can I ask what you mean by 'windows session'???

3. Jeremy Miller

Jeremy Miller Former ISI Senior Programmer

- do the following keys in windows registry are used by ANYTHING else than windows itself (that means: launcher, core engine, plugins)?
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\rFactor2\CorePath & DataPath, HKCURRENTUSER\Software\rFactor2\Start Path (which doesn't include the disk letter)
    they are used by the standalone installer.

- is it still possible to have several _working_ installation instances of rFactor2, all in build 798, as expected? (and the question above is crucial for this one)
    Yes

- does the line '.\' in the Core\data.path file is still interpreted as the root installation folder or should it always says the full path of the data folder (cause that's not what the installations and updates are actually doing)?
    .\ is the root folder. You can use a absolute path is you want.

4. Jeremy Miller

Try this launcher here. If that does not fix the issue PM me your logging credentials so I can debug the exact situation.

5. GregT

GregT Registered

I had to give up on rF2 for all the same reasons. All I ever got was DEFENSE from isi. Not their fault all these people can't start the launcher. I got several excuses as to what MAY have happened but no help getting it to run again. Try this try that, too bad, so sad you can't play anymore with us. Sure hope you guys @ isi didn't have the same problem cashing my check, that would be very frustrating for you, OH WELL......there is always A/C..way easier to operate and so far, i get a response from them and some pretty logical tech help not smart a$$, remarks looking down a nose. Life is about learning, I learned.

6. Jeremy Miller

Sorry to see you go. If you feel compelled to help me learn something, please indicate my "smart a$$" remarks.

Looking at threads you started you were responded to by a community members. Only once did I see where you confirm or deny the suggested fix. Most recently here
    http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/21005-Devmod-798-Build?p=295171&viewfull=1#post295171
    but maybe I missed something

Be glad to try to get it working for you but I am not a miracle worker. We have over 30+ internal testers and no one reports this problem. It makes it difficult to diagnose and as such I have to have you, the customer, try my educated guess of that I think is going wrong. I apologize if you believe that poor service.

7. alpha-bravo

alpha-bravo Registered

If the problem still exist maybe it has to do with some of your plugins ?
    I use ATM PedalOverlayPlugin, TrackIR, Dashmeter, Fanaled's, Motec with rFactor2 32 bit because the TrackIR 64bit does not work ATM.
    Here a screenshot how I made the launcher setting in RadeOnPro (maybe it is not needed or useless but since all works well it does not matter :) )
    View attachment 13775

8. eglan

eglan Registered

i am having that same problem of launcher not even coming up on the screen. i have been trying to fix it for two days now. i have tried everything on the forum from multiple fresh reinstalls to going back to 770 etc...clear every file possibly installed by rfactor 2 and still no joy :(.
    i am aware that direct x runtimes are required and checked that windows has these installed even if rfactor 2 installation is suppose to install direct x...

9. bbel

bbel Registered

alpha-bravo, that's what i did. To resum, the only way to make 798 build work with Radéonpro is to reboot. If i close the launcher it can't start again with Radeonpro.
    (RF2 start with the launcher but without radéonpro)
    So if i want 798 build to work i don't close launcher. I have NO new plugin in this build.
    I will try the new launcher.
    Thanks for your help.
    I have to say thanks to ISI for 770 and 798 build !

10. alpha-bravo

alpha-bravo Registered

You are welcome. Yes that is the same on my system. Can open the launcher only one time ATM.
    I think it was the same without RadeOnPro (changed to AMD on monday this week) because before with nvidia SLI I had the same behaviour. We will see on the next build.

11. scalino

scalino Registered

Thank you very much, I'll try this in a couple of hours or so. Will keep you up.

12. scalino

scalino Registered

Sure you can :)

(sry, just kidding, couldn't help it... :)

Well, what I call a "Windows session" is - when you use a login/password to open Windows - from the moment you click on OK to validate the login/password you typed (on what we could call 'the login page or form'), up to the moment when you either click on 'Close Session' in Start menu or when you close Windows itself and turning off your pc. That's what is called a "user's session" onto the "Operating System" (or OS) that is Windows.

Some old versions of Windows systems allow you not to use a password on your user's profile, and in this case if you are the only user defined, the session is opened automatically just before displaying the desktop/task bar and all that jazz...

Side note:
    If you use a recent version, above Windows 2000, and if you are going through the login page before seeing your desktop (or when you choose to close the session in start menu options), even then, there are still a bunch of processes running in the background, that are called "Services" under Windows terminology (and you can find their list in the Administration Tools of the Settings Panel). Those don't necessarily require an opened user's session to do their jobs.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2014
  13. GregT

GregT Registered

Apologies accepted . You got your hands full just trying to get these people to fix their launcher. They probably just have computer malfunctions, no fault of your new build and will eventually be able to do laps. I have limited time on my hands, however and decided to just walk away. My choice, not because nobody there can relate to a non computer genius, but because I just don't have the technical skills required to change my operating system to accomodate a sim and rather than get into a spitting match with you, I decided not to print the emails from isi. Lets just say the "help offered" was no help, to me, again. My time will be spent driving not working on my computer and wondering why rf2 is the only sim that won't work every day. I am also sure, you will be able to rally enough of your followers to justify your continued lack of respect for the people who allow you to make and support your sim without worring about me, I am no longer on that team. Best of luck to you guys.
    PS...(We have over 30+ internal testers and no one reports this problem). Now, thats just funny, tell your testers to browse the website help section occasionally.

14. scalino

scalino Registered

well, sorry mate but I tried the zipped launcher above and basically I get the same issues (not launching if I wait too long after session opens / not launching after having been launched and closed - I ran the game and did a couple of laps just to say 'I played')

if anyone would know of a Windows tool that logs in a file: every windows process launching, and ideally also every DLL loading from running processes, with a precise timestamp, I probably could nail which one is causing this...

15. dradecki

dradecki Registered

Is there any debug data that I can give you that might help? Is there a log file of some type that is generated when the launcher attempts to start? I have this issue every time, including with the newly supplied launcher. Weird part is I see the launcher as a process in task manager, but no window is appearing.

Edit: Oops just saw the new launcher you posted yesterday. I'll give that one a go.

16. scalino

scalino Registered

for your info, here's my config (and I recommend everyone with this issue to give theirs in their turn, just to see if we have some things in common):

- Quad Core I5 3570K 3.4GHz / ASUS P8H77-V mother board
    - ASUS GeForce GTX660 Ti 3GB DDR5 - DirectCU II OC (+ a GeForce 7300 LE for side monitors)
    - so 3 monitors on 2 graphic cards in a SofthTH-kind of setup
    - Windows 7 Pro 64bits
    - 8GB RAM (was on 16GB but had to remove 2 of them lately because of a hardware issue on one of the RAM modules; game has worked well for me in every build since 298, so way before and after that hardware issue, totally independent, it's just in case the current amount would play a role - don't see why but ...)
    - Wheel is a Logitech G25

feel free to ask anything else you would need or think of.

again tonight, not willing to show itself... (and yet this noon, after reboot, it started flawlessly; I'm losing my latin dudes...)

I think I'm gonna make a totally fresh and separated install, starting with build 660, and working my way up step by step. Keep you up.

17. scalino

scalino Registered

Ok, first step, fresh separated full instance of build 660:

- launcher starts flawlessly, even if I'm in the same user's session as before (failed attempts on build 798; I had killed the last Launcher process in task manager several dozens of minutes ago)
    - without launching the game in itself, launcher can be closed and reopened without limits (I stopped after 5 runs)
    - with launching the game in itself, then closing launcher, it reopens too

18. scalino

scalino Registered

hmm... Jeremy...

When we upgrade a given instance with a lite installer, should we always check the 'Data' checkbox, even when we already have that basic data (and have more mods & components installed, so don't want interferences)?

(I see that it includes things in userData\support in particular, things like MAS2.exe et al., maybe the launcher uses things in there, that wouldn't be upgraded if checkbox isn't checked...?)

19. scalino

scalino Registered

Step 2: installation of a fresh separated instance, with lite installer of build 770, in a "single core" instance (meaning only core files), that I made pointing towards a fresh separated "data instance" folder that I'm gonna use as my definitive data location for all the builds (cause I decided to be able to check any build on - at least - 2 different data instances (one for main files I'm using, one for testing "exotic" tracks and/or components). In this main data location, I copied all my data folder files of my prior "main build 798" that I couldn't run the launcher of for a couple of days. I just had to replace 3 or 4 paths in the player.json file in order to point towards the proper files for this data instance.

In my fresh single core instance in build 770, in the core directory and plugins directory, I copied all my plugins from prior main build (in 798 version... tricky one...:p

I put all the plugins' .ini files and config files in their correct locations for build 770 folders structure.

I started the launcher: it showed its pretty face flawlessly... (btw, I never had the phenomenon on build 770)

I played a littl' bit.

Closed the launcher and launched it again: always here, alive and kicking...!

(gonna lap some more... brb)

20. Jeremy Miller

Ok lets get on one the same page.

1) Install the 798 lite build to a new, clean, locations. If reporting a problem please report were you installed Core file and where you installed Data files.
    2) Start and stop the 798 lite build launcher. If the bug is found, stop, do not do anything else, and report the problem.
    3) If detect the problem you can try the launcher linked above. If that fixes the problem, stop, and report it was fixes with this launcher.