Build 660 Released

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by 88mphTim, Apr 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alpha-bravo

alpha-bravo Registered

Peace guys :)

I notice here something like cabin fever :p Time for a new build Tim :D

2. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

I thought that you were more intelligent than that. If you think I do things because I like to get a bad reputation for being critic on ISI you are aboslutely wrong. Be sure that if everything ran fine I would congratulate ISI as when I do when I think they deserve.

RF2 is the best available sim in terms of physics. Congratulations for it because it is remarkable. That saves rF2 from being left aside by many users: the lack of a real alternative.

It is the slow development pace (30 months already and not stable), the lack of information of that pace to their already paying customers, the bad bug solving system, bad stable release system, bad modding support among others what does not deserve anything else but HARD critics. Would you expect any changes on these subjects if everybody adored ISI as you do saying everything is fine? I wouldn't. I know it is much nicer to be making friends and laughs in the forum by saying everything is smooth as silk. However for me that is a time loss because it is worth nothing and nothing will ever change that way.

Rfactor started in 2005. 9 years later many bad things are unchanged. I guess it is about time to be more exigent with iSI. Don't you think?

enviado mediante tapatalk

3. alpha-bravo

alpha-bravo Registered

No Spaskis that is the point. It does not help. The only what will happen earlier or later if you don't change the manner is a collectiv bad atmosphere.
    Then will come a moderator and ......

The intension is good but the aproach is wrong.

edit: anyway I will stop here my part to this topic.

4. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

It does not help me or my popularity. I know that. However, I do think it helps changing some things. True critics hurt and criticized people react. It is a fact.

As I said after 9 years I am SURE that the alternative way does not work.

5. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Well, to be frank, there's only a certain type of feedback I try to pay attention to. Similar to with my two year old daughter, I don't give her attention for bad behavior. If you have a genuine issue, with a valid point, explained in a mature post, things get done. Otherwise, we do things to our own schedule and although we might get to your issue eventually, a rant or immature behavior does nothing to speed up a process, or bump it up any lists. I have a right, as does everyone at ISI, to be treated with respect. Just like a McDonald's employee, or an IRS telephone receptionist.

Just recently someone had a nice little rant, which I ignored. This annoyed him, he spammed our Facebook pages, and was subsequently banned from both the forum and Facebook pages because of that. He's now continuing to follow an immature path on other forums, still unable to express things in an acceptable manner, and I am sure when his short term ban for his spamming lapses, he will have a lovely immature reaction towards his ban, which will make it permanent. This behavior only harms him, and I'm very happy to let him dig a hole he can fall into.

It isn't hard to tell a developer about an issue. It isn't hard to appreciate the passage of time between builds that's required. It isn't hard to use the communication given, such as the x64 news, Twitter updates, etc, to make yourself aware of where time is going. It isn't hard to use what you do have, whether that is another sim or rF2, rather than spending all your time arguing about differences of opinion completely unconnected to the issues you actually have. And finally, it isn't hard to shut down a forum.

6. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

I think I clearly explained my POV. Nothing else to say. I will be patient and wait for the next build hoping that all the issues affecting the championship I manage in my community are solved. I hope not to get disappointed again. I simply wouldn't understand the release of a new build if present bugs are not adressed.

7. 88mphTim

We should hold off on releasing any bug fixes whatsoever if yours is not included? And to think, I thought focusing on consolidating and bug fixing over the next few builds made sense. Clearly it only makes sense if we are to focus on your needs over everyone else, or the product itself.

Am I missing something? Or does that about sum this up? Improvements and bugfixing doesn't matter if it's not something you needed to be improved, or a bug that affected you. Super. In sincerely hope this is a language translation issue.

8. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

If some of the main bugs are solved and no new major bugs bugs are introduced please release it tomorrow. Good to hear you are focusing on bugs.

The problem is that if besides of that, you keep on introducing untested things without stabilizing previous things in new builds and with the risk of spoiling already working features then do not release anything. How is it possible for example that rejoin stopped working? Do you have a reasonable explanation for that?

I would suggest to separate development path from "stabilizing" path. Some releases should include new features for sure but we would like some releases with no new feature that were only focused in solving existing issues. Why can't we have any fully stable build that consolidates existing features? To be more clear every two or three build a fully stable obe would be released. It would be like completing milestones.

And when you release those potentially unstable builds including new features because you need more massive testing to fully prove its stability, do not be afraid to announce it to everybody. There is no problem with it.

I hope I have been clear enough.

9. 88mphTim

I'll say this once more... No, in fact I won't. I'll just quote the news item linked in the first post of this thread.

We already said we're doing what you want us to do. Why are you posting? While this build is taking a long time due to the memory adjustments, how is what you're asking not what we've already said? Why are you arguing with yourself? And why the hell am I?

Honestly it's getting to the point where I feel a forum where it's anything other than bug reports is getting pointless. The mentality is WRONG here for discussions to exist.

10. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Because you asked if you should prevent from releasing a new build if all my bugs were unsolved. ????

I remember the quote you included and I appreciated that when it was published. I know that moving to 64 bits solves an existing memory problem for some people. However, nobody out of around 50 people in our community has complained about this error and yes about others. Introducing 64 bits in next build is IMO going against that quote that claimed for stabilizing things. The changes and risks that recoding things for 64 bits implies are too high from my POV. I am not a programmer and might be wrong though.

As I said I will wait for next build hoping that as you said things get stabilized.

11. 88mphTim

Because you said that''s what should happen. Then you contradicted it a bit in your next one.

In any case, again, this is a non-discussion, and a pretty good example of forum failure. There is NO BENEFIT to this thread right now, for ISI, for rF2 or for you.

12. Essemo

Essemo Registered

I've been out of circulation for awhile so not sure if this is the right place to ask this question or if it's been dealt with elsewhere.

Since I updated to Build 660, I've been having trouble with Mod Dev. I had a few tracks in there that I was working on but now I can't load them anymore.

Mod Dev still opens, and I can load the default Joesville track, but no luck with any of my own tracks. Does anyone else have this issue or has it already been solved? Thanks in advance for any assistance.

13. redapg

redapg Registered

Have you updated the Dev Mode to Build 660 too?

14. Essemo

Essemo Registered

Are you referring to the SDK_660 file?

I downloaded that and installed it but still no luck.

15. redapg

redapg Registered

Yes, i meant the SDK-660.
    I have a car in the Dev-Mode on which i am working from time to time and never had a problem.

Did you control if all trackfiles are present and in the right place?

16. Essemo

Essemo Registered

I have the track files in the same folders as before the update. They were loading OK before the update but not now, so not sure of the problem.

When I try to load the track, the loading screen comes up for about 1 second and then it crashes to desktop without displaying any error message. That might suggest there is a file missing from my tracks but I can't see why that should be the case if it wasn't happening before the update.

17. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Hello,
    i noticed, even i start a server with e.g. 120 minutes practice, the server is hosting 60 minutes practice only. Do i miss something to change?

18. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Wow... This is video is so accurate. Thanks for sharing!

19. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I definitely loaded up tracks in devmode before and after the 660 update with no change to the track files. I don't know what's causing your issue, but there shouldn't be any extra requirements.

20. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Can you "generate" the track files again from your max file into your new build and same thing happens?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.