BSIMRACING article

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Valter Cardoso, Apr 13, 2014.

1. RJames

RJames Registered

I also fail to see where is apparent borderline broken game netcode is. I've now ran 2 full seasons across a wide range of tracks with 2 different mods aswell as spent alot of time building our next league with the help of a large group of people and not once has the topic of netcode come up. We have raced nose to tail, sidebyside and there has been incidents but not once have we experienced anything of a problem.

Bad netcode = my last race at iracing in the prototype passing a spun car by over 1m gap (also in replay was visible) to get the meatball (yet car drove fine) to pit to find out the car apparently is too damaged to drive.

Currently as thing's stand rF2 is the most complete platform for me as a league manager to run and be confident in running leagues in. Sure there is some issues, as with any but with the progress being made my personal feeling is rF2 is far from "death" and if anything is increasing in popularity, we certainly have had new sign ups of people just picking up the product interested in league racing.

2. MarcG

MarcG Registered

people often confuse "bad netcode" with "bad collision detection" so maybe he's reffering to that.

3. Empty Box

Empty Box Registered

And this was from a race with "good" netcode. I love starts where people jitterbug constantly, makes for an incredibly immersive racing experience. If you start in the back of the pack, god help you - not because of people crashing, but because people warp so badly you don't even know which way to go to avoid the wreck half the time. Watch the first couple laps and tell me that is good netcode. Once people wreck out it improves immensely, but am I really expected to limit my racing to 8 cars? What is this, a console game?

Fun fact : in the race (recorded from replay) half the cars disappeared in front of me going into T1.

You will say "that is old!" which it is, but when I last hopped online to race the Karts it was just as bad. Anything over about 10 people and the servers just seize up and people warp like crazy. I can hear the comment coming - it's on my end - well why does every other sim work better? No problems in iRacing, no problems in rF1, no problems in GSC.... I'm not the only one reporting this either. I've seen races from leagues where they have cars lifting off the ground sporadically, warping a bit - it's terrible. Maybe I'm spoiled by iRacing's netcode, but even rF1 wasn't as much of a crapshoot as rF2's netcode.

Collision detection in every game is suspect to the "internet" that makes it always a mess. That is a different issue than cars wobbling around constantly.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2014
  4. Hagen Tröger

Hagen Tröger Registered

this was an issue with new prediction code added in build 382, this is not an issue with build 590

5. Empty Box

Empty Box Registered

No it's not.

Or I guess every server I join needs a restart once they get over 10-12 players. My system is running fine, no framerate issues, no stutters - you just see average ping in a server shoot up with more drivers. I have a feeling this coincides with rF2's resource demands, but either way I can only call them the way I see them.

6. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

+1

7. Hagen Tröger

Hagen Tröger Registered

in this video I see the prediction algorithm of build 382, sorry

8. samuelw

samuelw Registered

The author of that article, Gamemuscle, frequently makes no sense in his posts. For example from an earlier VirtualR post about rF2's upcoming Indy track:

"In some regards I'd say RF1 RF2 are easer than simulators like AC or even GSC because there is less recourse for driver action when you do go over the limit , and the limit is very well defined as a wall that you then just stay slightly under by memorising each corner rather than feeling it out and trying new things each lap.

GSC and AC have a more progressive and depth at the limit making it harder to then get that perfect lap because there is more space for a driver to optimise there cornering."

What does the above quote actually say? RF2 is easier because it is harder? Real life race drivers don't memorize braking points, turn in points, apexes, or track out points? Skip Barber is wrong about how to drive?

In addition to his mission to trash RF2 he spreads misinformation about the art and science of driving a race car.

What is his true motivation?
    SW

9. Valter Cardoso

Valter Cardoso Registered

Dont mess net code with bad servers and bad connections mostly from wireless drivers wich mess it (as in all games, not only rf2).
    I never saw that issues in our server neither now neither months ago.

This is our last week race. We were only 14/15 but i dont see any "bad netcode" there.....

10. Empty Box

Empty Box Registered

It is, but the netcode is still just as bad.

It may have improved since then, but if the lag and high pings I - as well as others I've talked to on this topic - is down to the server being overstressed (which is not an rF2 issue persay though it will reflect on rF2) that is something that should hopefully be addressed by server owners and ISI.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2014
  11. Hagen Tröger

Hagen Tröger Registered

if you mean...

it's war :D

12. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Well I had almost always 2 years of good no trouble racing from other side of world.

:confused:

If that is bad netcode please please dont try to fix it. !@!

lopl

13. FrancoisB

FrancoisB Registered

this article weblog feels the truth that many of you "elitist RF2" still struggling to accept

14. Hagen Tröger

Hagen Tröger Registered

without capitulation, there is no lost war, that's the truth

15. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

I will start to worry when rf2's MP becomes a major minority.

Geez, people on the rf2 forums disagree with the bloke, what a shocker. Meanwhile he is gloating over the attention he is getting.
    nice :p

16. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Funny how close racing is pretty frigging good most of the times. I wonder what kind of servers you guys join.

17. Empty Box

Empty Box Registered

I generally stick to ISI official servers unless they aren't populated.

18. Hectari

Hectari Registered

Yeah and the prediction algorithm situation was made worse in 382 for the people who kept it set to the new one(1 in multiplayer.ini) and they'd see the drivers running with the old prediction(0 in .ini) as bouncing all over the place. Everything seemed ok if you were using the old prediction though. I got sick of the bouncing cars and eventually changed to the old prediction and became one of them for the rest of the drivers left on the new one.

It was actually recommended in the forum for everyone to set it to 0, but something like that gets lost in the forum in threads that a lot won't ever read. It really needs a much better platform to get the message out to everyone when it's important. A news feed in the launcher so that everyone can see the message before venturing online... it really needs to happen. ISI can them communicate whatever they want/need to to the whole user base.

19. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

I hope you are not implying that because its from ISI that it also is setup in the best way ever.

20. William David Marsh

William David Marsh Registered

I had two weird instances with the ISI Karts online, where in the middle of the formation lap, I just FREEZE. I had to alt-tab out, and then reopen my tab, and hustle to my starting spot. Granted I won the race, but it was frustrating having that happen. The second time it happened, I got it back working but a phone call kept me from doing the race.

Anyone have something like that?