Would like feedback on 'extreme driving' concept

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Galaga, Apr 10, 2014.

1. Galaga

Galaga Banned

Thanks :) It's something that has been rolling around in the back of my mind for awhile but everything I tried to describe or put words around it I would think of something else or some problem with the idea and put it aside until it began eating at me again. I've probably chewed on a dozen or so versions of this or at least how to communicate it.

2. Galaga

Galaga Banned

Good question. And you are correct that it is a very personal approach but it could also be fraternal as well with a community of like-minded drivers. Regarding 'what to do with this', starting some kind of group, etc., I have been struggling with my relationship to sim racing for some time because there has never been a group that I solidly fit into.

I love championships and preparation, practice, training, focus on a single event at a time, etc. but the combos I like are all fictional and extremely difficult so no one wants to drive them.

I love rally (my first sim was RBR) and how technical and intense it is, but I can't drive RBR anymore because rF2 feels so much better to me (tarmac, of course) now. Also, even with rally I am very picky about courses ; the main thing being that I only like the very long courses. Also, online activity seemed to be very heavy on the best tracks which meant we all had track memorized and that is not what rally is about. I also love wheel 2 wheel action on 'rally-like' tracks or public roads or temporary tracks or whatever you want to call them, but no one races Lienz or Route 666 or Mountain Forest or any of the really cool 'rally-type' circuits and, don't tell anyone, LeMans and Longford are just too straight for me. Sorry.

So after thinking about it and how I can maintain a true passion for sim racing and feel like I am progressing toward something that won't get stale, I came up with this 'extreme driving' approach which I think will work for me and if it works for others too then great.

So back to 'what is next?', I have some ideas and now that I have a framework I am hoping the ideas will stick better. So some knee jerk things that have popped into my head are blogging about what I am doing, what combos I race, what my times are, what AI strength I am using, etc. ; driving stuff so others can compare or try the combos I am running just because it is fun to share experiences even if separately. I also LOVE hotlap servers. A13 hosted (is hosting?) one with Skippys and Civics at the amazing, stupendous and incredible Route 666. What a blast that is and how cool is it for a dozen or two or three people to jump on whenever they have time and have their laps recorded and occassionally run into someone else on the server at the same time and chat and do some laps, etc., etc. etc.

So I promote events like this and like Myself9's server that has rabid Holden's at Transfagarasan and I don't discriminate against rF1, either as there are so many amazing cars and tracks for extreme driving there, too, and virtualhillclimb.com hosts rF1 hillclimb stuff too which is awesome.

And I also have 60s F1 driving tips and reviews of extreme stuff on my website. I'd like to help people cross the line into a level of skill that opens up this amazing world of possibilities that the rF2 physics engine delivers. Its just so huge and deep but so few ever discover anything beyond the tip of the iceberg so if I can help even just a few get to that point then maybe they can help others experience this magic, etc. etc. I love to do videos so I will most definitely be doing very in-depth instructional videos and I am very late in delivering the video companion for the 60s F1 driving tips I promised too long ago.

I also like doing rF2 fan edits and plan on a series of these.

I am also working very hard on producing a high-quality conversion of Transfagarasan and hope to follow that with other conversions of epic rF1 tracks, should I be able to obtain permission to do so.

That's all I can think of for now and all that is before I really had a solid mission :p

3. Luis Armstrong

Luis Armstrong Banned

lol

4. myself9

myself9 Registered

We're running an "extreme" rF1 fun server all weekend. 1970 WSC on Mt Arrowsmith.....
    Vroooooom

5. Galaga

Galaga Banned

I'm there! What a coincidence that I just saw WSC 1970 mod for the first time ever on a video this very morning. How did I miss this mod?

Also, I don't see this activity listed on your website or am I looking in the wrong place?

6. myself9

myself9 Registered

WSC 70 feels great! Glad you found it.
    We don't have it listed as an event, it's a "fun server" thread
    http://virtualhillclimb.com/Forums/topic/rfactor-goof-off-fun-time/page/2/#post-2595

No leaderboards, either. It's just about pushing it. And surviving :)

7. Galaga

Galaga Banned

Joining server now...

Edit - Oh my! Wow. T70 = mmmmmmmm and track is epic!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2014
  8. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

I think a few good ones would be :

1. ISi server with all class Eve and Spark 1/3 drivers in each with 100% damage , I like passing crashed F1 in my F3. lopl

2. " Subida Munco car swap " all Historics, Howston and Karts, 3 hour practice session with varying weather and light.

8 drivers you can do a run every 4 minutes and Car Select works with the Minimalist Ui.
    Shame can't add Lola T280, it causes my mods to CTD using car select.

3. Texas Oval @ Night in G6's :)