What might cause rFactor 2 to advance to next event, during race ?

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by JohnW63, Apr 8, 2014.

1. JohnW63

JohnW63 Registered

Other than a person in Admin mode telling the sim to advance to the next event, can anything external to the sim cause this to happen ? Any issues of the host has an issue with say... some process or service or other app having an error ? The only issue I found on our host server was an error reporting screen that wanted to tell Microsoft about an issue with GoogleUpdate.exe, that was stuck on a loop. Window wouldn't stay closed. Had to restart the service on the server to make it go away. Could that have caused this issue ?

Race server host hadn't seen this happen before.

2. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

That is pretty weird.

I was gonna say, check your passwords, maybe you are getting trolled by ex admins or whatever, but you still would get a message that either an admin or the server is moving forward....

Is it possible there is a timing issue? either in game settings you overlooked or even some scheduler on the sever box forcing something?

3. B. Gant

B. Gant Registered

it happened on 2 different servers at same time. 2 different hosting companies....

4. JohnW63

JohnW63 Registered

I wonder if an update, sent out by Google, for instance, could have caused an error on both servers ? I may remove Chrome from the server, as a precaution.

5. JohnW63

JohnW63 Registered

I think I need to be more complete in my description of events....

While racing, I noticed that I was the only one of the progress bar. Just my dot. I thought I had lost connection to the server. Then, I got the " Connection Lost " message. When I tried to jump back on the server, in the MatchMaker lobby, I saw the server, but it had the next track on the schedule listed. Very odd. When I joined, I found it had happened to everyone. I don't know it anyone road out the change to the next track, or we all got booted. When we checked the dedicated server, it was up and said it had been for over 5 hours. So, our race host did not go down and the rFactor 2 dedicated server did not seem to, but I think we all got disconnected when the track changed. I can't figure out why it would. Is there a way to schedule a change and would it cause the issue we saw ?

6. JGraf

JGraf Registered

if in race session, everyone drops/exits/discos from the server at once, this leaves the server empty, the server auto resets to practice session of the next circuit available in the vmod.
    seeing only yourself on the progress bar = AutoMap, your connection was lost also, as you mention.
    doubtful the server changed circuits during your race, some connectivity issue caused the server to disco the clients.

i was also online practicing in another unrelated server, everyone dropped out, the server auto reset, we all rejoined and continued to practice.
    another member joined, telling us the other league server had crashed while in race session.
    this may have been the very same time/night your race session was hosed.

my guess, matchmaker flaked out.

7. JohnW63

JohnW63 Registered

That does make sense. However, I thought that Matchmaker was just a directory of servers and did not provide the connection in any way. Once you have found your server, would it matter if MM was running on not ?

8. JohnW63

JohnW63 Registered

I found this in another thread, from Tim:

So, does that mean I am correct, and once the clients are all connected, Matchmaker is out of the loop and any issues with it would NOT effect a running event ? Or... am I still missing something about the rFactor 1 and Matchmaker relationship ?

9. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

In rf1 we could ignore matchmaker and join by IP. we don't have that anymore but I still would assume matchmaker works in the same way. once you are connected MM is out.

Are there perhaps settings in the MP.ini that determine what should happen if...?
    Like in single player the game pauses when out of focus, I think there are MP rules as well like pause when no drivers are in.
    Perhaps there's more?

10. JohnW63

JohnW63 Registered

If I am correct about how rFactor 2 and Matchmaker work together, then any glitches on MM's part could not be the cause of our server, and an other one we know of, having a connection issue at the same time. I would appreciate in anyone has an info that might shed some light on this.

11. R1CHO

R1CHO Registered

We had this happen a fair few builds back kept advancing to next circuit .. didn't even kick us , hasn't done it since that one event tho ..

12. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Nothing that I can think of except the command or voting. Host can change event any time they want if they are an admin, their voting overrides. Or just an ordinary vote being passed by users?

13. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

If your race is running, the MM could go down and your race would finish fine.