driving the skippy

Discussion in 'ISI cars and tracks' started by metalhead7, Apr 7, 2014.

1. metalhead7

metalhead7 Registered

this is absolutely ridiculous! would someone please tell me how you can drive the skippy? this car is undrivable! you turn sharply( sometimes it is necessary) and it gets stuck. stiffened the rarb, didn't help. no options for farb. with assetto corsa clearly taking the title of " best racing sim in the universe for some time to come" I'm starting to feel more and more that rfactor just isn't worth the trouble.

2. Minibull

Minibull Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Maug

Maug Registered

What's ridiculous is your post. Doesn't make me want to help. Maybe try with less negativity?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2014
  4. RNeves

RNeves Registered

Hey, maybe the problem is you...

Stiffening the rear ARB will only bring more Oversteer, if that's your problem, you are only making the car more undrivable...

And btw, most of the ARB effects are noticed on low speed corners, and personally i find the skipper difficult to control on fast corners....

Download Motec I2 pro, and install the motec plugin and start with the cambers and toe in.

And don't come and offend RF 2 just because you can't drive a car, ask first. I have AC too, both are great games, but if you ask me, i find myself playing most of the time on RF 2

5. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

just go with default setup, drive slower & be more patient

6. YoLolo69

YoLolo69 Registered

As said tone of your post don't encourage people to answer...

Saying that, I had some hard time too with this car before I learned from ISI and forum guys the 2 secrets of the Skippy: Choose National and press Throttle when you start to oversteer (which seems stupid at first look I agree but that's a fact).

from the SB official ISI web page: http://rfactor.net/web/rf2/cars/skip-barber-2000/

Technique:

The Skip Barber Formula 2000 is the perfect car for either a complete rookie or a seasoned expert to hone their skills. A true racers car, it is balanced in such a way that it works well when driven well, and will work badly (often spinning off the track) when driven badly. If you don’t drive with good technique, it punishes you: It teaches you how to best drive almost every race car you will ever drive…

The first thing to note is that of the two configurations, the National version is both easier and faster to drive. The Regional version takes significantly longer to warm the tires, etc, but both configurations do have the same handling traits overall.

It is very important to keep the throttle down while turning, as this will keep the rear suspension loaded and the car more stable. Weight transfer is also critical, and any changes to throttle input on entry or mid-way through a turn, which will shift the weight away from the rear and cause “lift off oversteer”, will often lead to a spin.

Smooth input is probably the most important aspect of this car, and any car. You must smoothly turn in, carefully feed in the power, try not to fight it too much in the corner, then smoothly let the wheel run as you exit the turn. Always be aware how much the car moves around underneath you, the car will not react well if you put a wheel on the grass on turn-in: That loss of grip will be devastating.

Most importantly: Don’t give up on it. If you can adapt your driving style to this car, and drive it well, you will become a better driver in everything you drive. The frustration of spinning out will all be worth it if you can beat this car.

Additional recommended reading material is Going Faster, which documents a lot of the techniques required in good detail.

7. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Banned

As weird as it sounds, the Skippy drives like my motorbike on the track.

I.e. you want most if not all the braking done BEFORE turn in (yeah, I realize real Pro Riders will brake their bikes all the way to Apex... I don't ;) ) and then you roll on the throttle as early as possible to keep weight distribution rearwards.

OTOH you can't floor it or you get understear as the front gets light.

This is perhabs the one car that really shows you the "balance", Turn1 at Poznan is a perfect example where you steer with throttle and brake.

8. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

I recommend watching "Going Faster".
    They do a lot of things with Skip barber, showing that, for example, applying throttle can cause both understeer and oversteer - depends on how you apply it.

And that's the thing - everything matters. Not only how much throttle or steering you apply, but when, where and how you apply it. And it's not just the car - paying attention to track profile matters as well (this is why I wrote "where" in previous sentence).

9. Murtaya

Murtaya Registered

The main thing that you can change in the skippy to effect oversteer is the front and rear toe. Also whether you use the national or regional makes a difference. It wants to be driven smoothly slow in and fast out with precise throttle control. I think the default toe settings are what make it want to punish you the most. Also if you haven't taken the time to set your control hardware up properly the skippy will handle like a pig no matter what you do with the setup. Much more so than any other vehicle.
    I hope this explains, and I agree you might want to calm down before posting. Leave it at least one hour after you come off the sim ranting about how it's wrong before posting. I have done it as have many others. If it feels wrong you may have hardware setup poorly.

10. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

http://rfactor.net/web/rf2/rf2dl/skip-barber-2000/

11. Woodee

Woodee Registered

A couple of tips....

Before even touching the setup, take it slow. The skippy doesn't like to be rushed, if you go in too fast or rush it into the turns it will bite you. The skippy needs to be caressed into the turns and will teach you the theory of slow in fast out.

Take it slow and things will get better... and more importantly, have fun :)

12. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Banned

Are negative values out and positive values in?

13. metalhead7

metalhead7 Registered

ok guys, I went a little too far. was just so frustrated with this damn car. I have great respect for Gjion camai and the folks at ISI. guess i'll just have to practice more. but let me ask this: for those of you who have driven the skippy in Iracing, which is more realistic? and in Iracing's version of the skippy, you can increase the stiffness of the rarb to 8. I use 7 and it works just fine. but in RF2, it is such a nervous car. I'm not very good at setups, but I'm thinking maybe increasing caster (more positive) to improve stability. i'll just have to test. thanks for all the help, and don't take my remarks too seriously. just frustration. that's all.

14. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

If you can control this beast, you can control anything. well sorta.

here's my setup for Lime Rock Park and the National car.

View attachment Skip Barber LRP R2.svm

Don't remember the skippy in iracing, too long ago. but I don't think you should compare them with such big differences between sims.

15. metalhead7

metalhead7 Registered

oh cool. thanks man. for the record, I like rfactor much better than Iracing, and the're not always trying to reach into your pockets.

16. Patterik

Patterik Registered

Lower the camber and it'll feel a lot like the iracing skip.

17. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

iracing version is understeer city with no ffb.

*runs and hides*

18. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Corrected. :D

19. Murtaya

Murtaya Registered

I think they are, what would be awesome would be if the wheels on the car in the garage setup screen were animated then we would know. What I can tell you is if you set the rear to 0.00 and slightly negative on the front it becomes much more manageable and more inclined to understeer. More how I would expect a training vehicle (or road car) to be set. On the kart it appears to be the other way around, to get understeer you go positive on the front toe figures. So it leaves me in a state of confusion as to whether negative figures equal toe in or positive ones equal toe in.... or is it just a quirk of the skippy or the kart. Or do I just not understand what over and under steer is and how toe in or out effects it?

I've been thinking maybe the figures are sometimes negative or sometimes positive for toe in depending on whether the steering arm joins the hub in front of the strut or behind it?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2014
  20. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

What a lot of people miss is that this is a purpose built race car. Sure it has a small engine but it's built to be raced and has a very neutral balance. Here is an onboard of someone doing a regional race. You can see the driver making many corrections on entry and exit.