Is rf2 too difficult? [lack of online players / leagues struggling]

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Denstjiro, Apr 5, 2014.

1. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

You should really check your sources.

Senna was well aware of the dangers of the sport, the risks they are taking everytime they get in the car, how you could be "gone" in an instant, etc.

Not only that, but he was one of the biggest advocaters (is that a proper word?) of saftey in the sport.

2. D.Painter

D.Painter Registered

You've got to love it! haha... So that's what we call it these days. I guess these,, debates are inevitable after a group has been working together for so long. Let's hope something good comes of it.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2014
  3. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

That sounds more like Niki Lauda :)

But yes, there was that episode at Suzuka where Senna got screwed and penalized for NOT turning his car around in the runoff at the chicane to drive against the traffic. And yes as any religious man he was ready to accept his faith at any given moment in time, but he did not fear it - racing with complete lack of fear is dangerous, both to you and others.

Sorry for the OT.

4. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Same here. i'm a slow learner in simracing (i.e. not very technical) so it took me quite some time to become competitive when I first joined.
    Even longer before I started winning races. and after multiple seasons of 'just' finishing in the top3 with minimal points differences I was getting so frustrated the stewards almost banned me from racing one season as I was overdriving so much out of frustration and causing to many incidents. (and being a steward and admin myself this was going to be quite an ironic issue)
    So I regrouped and started practising 400laps per week more then anyone else, tested strategies relentlessly and aimed for no-penalties throughout the season (as they would cut championship points) and I was finally winning championships.

But there are always people faster, no matter how hard you try. So my last cunning plan was to team up with an alien in the aligned teams championship and let him push me for those last little inches and tenths.
    It really worked wonders for me. Previously I would team up with slower drivers in order to help them become more consistent or faster, now I was the one not fast enough.
    The best advice he kept giving me? ''push harder phaget''

At first I was like, dude, you crazy, I am pushing like hell already. I just suck at this. But eventually I got what he meant and kamikaze actions in practise became real eye openers.
    And now I am one of the fastest drivers in the world.

ok, maybe not :p

But it helps immensely indeed if you got people around faster then you. always something to aim for, always info to analyse as to why they are faster, what are they doing differently, can I copy that. Or at least come up with something smart to compromise for lack of raw speed.

And it raises the bar quite a bit in all aspects making the sim you are using so much more worthwhile.

5. Jameswesty

Jameswesty Registered

The cars in RF2 are often easer to drive at a basic level than many the cars in RF1 and many of the cars I'd say are easer in RF2 than in i racing.

Difficulty of car handling at a basic level is not really a metric for how realistic something is , its ether realistic or not regardless of difficulty.

As for why new people are less intrestead in RF2 , well People don't want to pick up rf2 because its interface is a mess and its just annoying to install and use outside of the driving , there is way more competition in the market as well , i racing , AC , R3E , GSC and for allot of people RF1 still works perfectly fine for what they want to get out of it.

Want to race on-line ? well you will have to DL RF2 get right version , get specific content , install it all then keep updating it every month or so...

Want to race online in i racing ? Go to i racing.com spend £40000 click the update button done..

Other games like GTRE R3E are also far less hassle for the end user and I assume AC might be the same though I think AC might have issues with mods and servers running different content.

RF2 is a chore to use its like OMS2 , well not that bad but it gets close at times.

When good servers have been setup with the stock content or just generally set-up well RF2 can be a good game to play the problem is as an end user there is no consistency to the user experience making people the gravitate to titles that might be better or worse but at least produce something with a given expected consistency.

6. FONismo

FONismo Registered

Hand, face, not listening springs to mind

7. hariseldon

hariseldon Registered

The cars are indeed easier to drive in rf2 than iracing, frankly the official ISI ones are much nicer to drive. Iracing still has better tracks though ;)

8. Ronnie

Ronnie Registered

Not for long. Indy is coming. ;) Not that it is a great track to race on. It is good enough. I have my total trust in ISI's track team and I know that they will deliver us track that will melt our eyes.

I'm really hoping to see Phillip Island one day in rF2 done with care and attention to details. Very underrated track. I love the flow of it and elevation changes.

9. FONismo

FONismo Registered

100% agreed and a V8 supercar to compliment it, great track

10. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I agree, he didn't think about death when he got in the car. Almost no driver does once they put the visor down, once you do then it's time to retire.

11. Luis Armstrong

Luis Armstrong Banned

Nelson Piquet once said at his time on f1, that he drives looking out for the equipment because he could loose an entire weekend braking a wing or some motor part. This, he said, he told to his son to not care about that issue because it is considerable a bad habit (i don´t know the right word..vicious, repetitive act) on modern formula 1.
    But i think Nelsinho take that too far.

12. Galaga

Galaga Banned

Which is perfect because all the retards will stay over there.

13. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

What a lovely attitude you got....

14. David Wright

David Wright Registered

The real rival for on-line racing is iRacing. It dominates the scene. I haven't tried it myself but it has had a reputation for driving on ice physics - maybe the latest tyre model is more forgiving.

So I'd suggest the question is "What does iRacing offer that rF2 doesn't?"

15. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Laserscanned tracks exclusively. Worth paying for imo, even though I think 90% of the users probbaly won't feel the difference in a blind test ;) (I know of only 2 persons on this forum who I think would pass the test, that's it)
    Also a nice interface, hit start and jump into the cockpit, always races do be driven with people close to your skill level.

That said though, I haven't renewed my account in 3 years and only run rF1 and rF2 since, tracks alone don't make a great sim!

16. Domi

Domi Registered

Laser scanned tracks and interface are very secondary. (They are really nice, don't take me wrong).

What makes iRacing interesting is the whole structured service, with scheduled races-series and because even a fool would make it work, just 1 click and everything will be downloaded and working.

17. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

For me they aren't :) (its just when short on cash, services like that are the first to go)
    If I want a really structured race service with rF2, leagues a plenty!

18. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

I does make a big difference though, and this is also mentioned with regards to rf2. iracing just gets it right when its about user-friendliness, anyone can install/update and go. its pretty slick and together with content available it would attract the same type of drivers rf2 gets: aliens, lunatics, dedicated & casual drivers, kids whom just got fed up with consoles, old people, etc.

But because its so user friendly its just easier to get into. That alone is a huge selling point. and when that starts to happen more people will join in, grids get bigger and the fun only increases (accidents too but they are covering that as well more or less)

And that is what lacking with rf2, its not user friendly, its a chore to get working, its complicated and buggy. and then any new user has not even started to discover how demanding rf2's racing actually is. it just builds up.

But as said, they are different platforms, closed and open. its part of the game on both ends although there are quite a few things that should be more easy in rf2.
    As said before though, iracing charges money for its services and are able to maintain and update. rf2 does not. big difference as well.

For allot of simracers in general its not always about the best sim or the best physics, its also about having as much fun as possible whenever you want.

19. hariseldon

hariseldon Registered

For me the value of iRacing over RF2 is:-
    1. Online infrastructure - 24/7 there is racing available against reasonably good opponents who have practiced, with a good chance of them being at a similar level to me so I get some battles in
    - 1a. Safety Rating and expense makes sure people aren't complete idiots on track in the main [no point spending all that money to be kicked off for being a total dick]
    - 1b. IRating makes sure people finish their races as there is always something to race for, even if it's damage limitation. This does not happen in public RF2 racing (or Race 07, or NKPro, or likely AC when that gets online)
    2. The tracks are very good, and consistently so. For example Lime Rock on iRacing is much better than the RF2 version, and feels a lot more real, live, etc.
    3. One centralised community so it's easy to find everything you need. RF2 users are somewhat scattered all over the web, as are resources. Finding stuff is a chore.
    4. Easy set-up. I just click race and I can race. No faffing with mods.
    5. I know what I'm racing this week, and I know what I'm racing next week, etc. I know what times I can get into those races.
    6. The netcode is pretty good most of the time. This is due to those servers you're paying for. The quality of servers we deal with on RF2 is variable for obvious reasons. We're not hosting our servers on top-spec gear in professional data-centres.

RFactor has in its favour
    1. Better simulation - better handling, tyre wear, weather, day/night transition etc - means that endurance racing means something, and it's something I'm very keen to get into
    - Note that NTM5 these days isn't iceracing as NTM4 definitely was, but I do feel that RF2 does a better job of making you feel the true weight of your car and how that shifts
    2. Mods mean you can drive anything anywhere (the downside of this is that it means more scattered racing as everyone is racing what they want but only 3 people will want the same thing at the same time)

I like RF2 and want to see it do well, because it's a damn good sim, but a certain amount of cat-herding is required to get it up to scratch.

20. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

It's only really because of what you said in #2, which bugs me, that I'll reply to this one. :D

1. Agree. However, you pay for it. With a monthly fee, everyone would be able to do that. You pay for rF2 essentially what you'll get from it, and in my opinion, you pay less than you'll get from it.
    2. Lime Rock on iRacing is from before the track was torn up and repaved. It probably feels more alive on iRacing because it's bumpier, but the real track isn't like that anymore. Our version is quite a lot more realistic, actually, and considering that a laser scanned track is supposed to be realistic, you have to bundle that with the fact that it's only realistic until something changes. A patch, a resurface of a reprofiled corner and the track isn't the track it's named after anymore. Anybody can make a bumpy track, we wanted to make a current Lime Rock.
    3. iRacing controls everything you need. You could take that as a positive or a negative. You only get the content they decide you get. With an open platform, that's not the case. The cars and tracks we decide, are in one location, no searching required at all, it's only third party stuff, something iRacing doesn't offer you at all, that you will have to find yourself.
    4. Again, you pay for that. You're also using content everyone has and iRacing dictates. If everybody just used our content, like everyone has to use iRacings, this wouldn't be an issue, all our mods are in one place and if you don't have them you can download them upon joining a server. Again it's the third party stuff, something not even found in iRacing, which might be annoying you there.
    5. Join a league. I know what my league is racing next week. You pay for iRacing to organize leagues for you.
    6. Yeah, again, you pay for iRacing to host either on the paid servers or on the membership servers. Often you can join a server with rF2 hosted by someone in their own home. That can be a big negative experience, sure.