Is rf2 too difficult? [lack of online players / leagues struggling]

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Denstjiro, Apr 5, 2014.

1. hariseldon

hariseldon Registered

I don't have a big problem with it, in that if one thinks about it, the subs model pays for all the hosting and encourages development of the underlying framework while the content purchases encourage development of new content. It puts the incentives in the right place for iRacing to get it right. Also once you factor in the various discounts on offer tbh the sub side of it equates to bugger all. They should make that a bit more transparent of course.

2. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Getting a 404 Noel

3. Galaga

Galaga Banned

Man does it suck to be you guys.

My sim racing philosophy is grounded in celebrating sim racing as an independent, real-life endeavor in it’s own right. What is happening on the screen is really on the screen. There are real inputs and outputs to and from the physics engine, graphics engine, screen and controllers. The physics engine is obeying/reflecting the laws of physics to the best of it’s ability. This is better than ‘immersion’. It is all 100% true and real! If you don’t believe me then I will be happy to send you a picture of me and my rig.

Any resemblance to real life outside of my basement, however, will be rare and coincidental only. Most of the vehicles I use are real life vehicles because all available vehicles are real life vehicles. However, nearly all of the tracks will be fantasy tracks or real public roads which have never been raced on in real life.

The reason for all this is simple. Engagement. Sim racing is most stimulating in turns where most of the challenge exists and most feedback is received through force feedback. The most engaging turns are those which are the most challenging, technical, unique and interesting and are part of uninterrupted sequences of turns containing a variety of cambers, elevation changes and physical track surfaces.

The most engaging vehicles are the most challenging vehicles, often with excess power, manual transmissions, no down force and terrible tires.

Carefully-selected combos produce intense, non-stop excitement. You have no choice but to be immersed in the moment just to survive, much less achieve a personal best time. If you like your beer cold, then you better put it back in the fridge or finish it before beginning a race with any of the content below because you won’t have time for even one swig.

Vehicles (roughly in order of insanity):

Spark F1
    67 G4
    69 G6
    Skip Barber Regional
    65 G6
    69 G4
    Mercedes SLS Safety Car
    T280
    Panoz AIV Roadster
    Spark F2
    Spark F3
    Lada (Transfagarasan North Downhill only)

Tracks (roughly in order of insanity):

Transfagarasan North
    Route 666
    Lienz
    Nords (Spark F1 only)

When testing combos from the above, if you get bored just select a more insane vehicle or track. If you feel cramped or claustrophobic then select a less insane vehicle or track.

My favorite combos ATM:

Spark F3 @ Transfagarasan Downhill
    Spark F1 @ Transfagarasan Hill Climb
    T280 @ Lienz GP
    Spark F2 @ Route 666

4. Galaga

Galaga Banned

is 30d view working?

5. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Not enough data yet. I don't know RRD that well so I may not have it right. We will see. :)

6. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Yeah, wish I was you.

7. Matt Sentell

Matt Sentell Registered

FSR is completely separate from RD. There's an affiliation which involves RD hosting their public forums and possibly other things but they're separate entities with no overlap in administration. FSR goes back to 2006.

I know FSR has had its controversies so I expect some negativity around it but the fact is it's the most competitive and high-profile league to make the switch to rF2 so far, so it's potentially influential in terms of raising credibility of the platform with the broader audience. If one can call the simracing audience "broad" in any sense. :)

ACE division race is Saturday at 17:00 GMT. World Championship on Sunday at the same time.

8. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Internet dev schedules and I hope a different viewpoint as to what we're actually doing. Following a healthy internal debate.

9. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Hmm.. Strange, I have no clue why you would get a 404. Without thinking I terminated the program that was polling the MM. So there is a big gap in the data. But that wouldn't cause a 404.

10. sn0man

sn0man Registered

I know people moan about shall we call 'em spinners, that can cause havoc and ruin a race in MP! I appreciate that everyone has to start somewhere and I myself am by no means anywhere near the speed of most of you guys... But just a thought is there anyway to maybe set room entry parameters that link to your offline driving record? By this I mean that you could say you can only join this room for Limerock if it can be verified that you have done at least a 50 second lap offline in the specified car?? As this would set a minimum standard for the room... this way whoever joins the room even if they are super quick would know what sort of minimum pace and expertise to expect in said room!!

I'm sure this is probably too hard to implement but thought I would throw it out there... As this could certainly help even the noobs as they themselves could enter a room with more confidence!?!

11. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

It was just a hiccup Noel, its working now.

sn0man, even if it was possible I think ISI would be very reluctant to do such a thing. they are more of an 'anything go's, do whatever you want' company. restricting clients might not be part of that.

Education, in any shape or form seems to be a good way forward. either from ISI or the community, preferably both.

12. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

I've been in sessions with slow people who are aware of their surroundings and check mirrors, etc. A large gap in speed is dangerous but when the person is good at understanding the faster people and the racing line, they don't interfere at all and can improve their skill.

Ps: Very sad to see elaborate, constructive criticism being met with irreducible stances and in occasion personal attacks. We all own rF2 and we all want it to be great.

Edit: This Ps line is not directed at sn0man

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2014
  13. sn0man

sn0man Registered

I certainly meant no offence, as I am more in the noob category than not...

I also am all for no restrictions, all I was hinting at was that this could give people myself included some goals or targets to achieve. Also along with it maybe some competitive racing with fellow racers of around the same pace as me!?!

This led me to thinking about the purpose of this thread and "the struggle of getting more racers into leagues"... I accept your point of racing with better drivers and learning from them and that should certainly be an option, nobody should be excluded! But also say 70% + of the drivers in said leagues are just too fast for me, would I not enjoy racing for the top spots against drivers of a more equal standard to myself??

Then I could gradually progress up the leagues - almost like divisions in footballing terms!?! Or the iracing reward scheme but based more on lap timings rather than clean driving - as when you lap faster you driving must subsequently become cleaner\better...

I'm not sure if I am making sense, but I love rf2 and I love trying to improve my own racing skills but I suppose although I would love to join a league and race with all you really fast guys, I would also like to race on occasion for the top spots, its not always that much fun racing at the back - sometimes on your own - I may as well be racing offline against the AI (which I mainly do by the way!).

I don't have any answers and I am certainly not attacking anyone! As I am one of the guys that you are trying to get involved in these leagues... I was just throwing out something I thought about!!

14. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

I don't think Guimengo's ps was aimed at you Sn0man.

As for learning, imo that should start with rf2, its the first thing people will see/use and it can be quite some time before they even get serious or able to be serious.
    Allot of people look down on console racing games but what Gran Turismo did exceptionally well was learning peeps how to drive.
    Not suggesting such an extensive workshop but somewhere along those lines maybe. GTR2 had it as well, just a few tasks to do, drive predetermined lines, predetermined braking zones.
    Heck, even some info alone would be helpful. it just should not be tugged away too far in a folder that no1 looks into until its too late.

As for being too slow for leagues, I doubt it. sure, the top runners will be faster, but they are top runners for a reason and one of those reasons is because they got better because of the league.
    But even with that, there are medium and slow drivers in allot of leagues. you would be competing against them perhaps. and trust me, compared with random public racing, its going to be miles better racing at the bottom of the grid in a community. its safer and as competitive as it can get.

Its not about technique alone, or knowing how to setup. its about confidence, trust, mind games, stress levels, outsmarting others, finetuning little things etc etc. and all the while you improve the raw skills as well. it becomes a total package which will never be found in public racing. the rewards (and failures) are miles high at points. its the group that pushes the envelope for individuals.

If you join a (any) league you will become much faster in a shorter period, and really start to appreciate what rf2 is about. and unless you're an admin or steward, it will not take too much time either. the time invested will reflect in your results, up to you to stay like that and just enjoy the fun, or become a lunatic and aim for the sky. its all good :)

15. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Great post and I completely agree. Everything I have done in life I have always tried to surround my self with people who are better than me and it always makes me improve. I tell my 7 year old this all the time when I see him wanting to quit something because he isn't the best.

It's really amazing how fast your pace improves when you are surrounded by faster drivers. I used to run a league and got tons of poles and podium finishes. But when I first joined that league I was totally out of my league. But in no time I was competitive. Then I switched to the endurance league I am with now and was getting killed. I'm going on my 4th season there and last season our team won the championship. So again, you push your self when your with better people.

16. Paul_Ceglia

Paul_Ceglia Registered

+10

17. Paul_Ceglia

Paul_Ceglia Registered

+11 or one louder...some will get that ;)

18. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Ayrton Senna taught me to admire the people who defeat me. Don't build anger towards them, but rather admire their talent and the work/job they've done, and look at them as an example of how/where to improve yourself.

I try to keep this mentaliy whenever someone defeats me/does a better job than me. Look at them in a good way and on to how to improve, rather then getting pissed off. It's VERY difficult at times, sometimes you're even "faking" it to yourself when you're trying to use that mentality but you know deep down inside you just want to explode, but the more you practice it the better you naturally think/act like that rather than forcing yourself to be like that in a semi-faked way.

Ayrton Senna is one of the most inspirational, motivational and educational persons I've ever known of (not talking about racing but about yourself as a human being, life, etc.)...him and Carl Sagan...

2 amazing human beings of the 20th century, both of whom sadly passed at too young an age.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2014
  19. Luis Armstrong

Luis Armstrong Banned

[​IMG]

20. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

Senna was no doubt one heck of a talent and a wonderfull, caring personality. Too bad religion made him think he drove with "Invulnerability Aid" activated - and yes I know that his fatal crash was due to mechanical failure.