Is rf2 too difficult? [lack of online players / leagues struggling]

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Denstjiro, Apr 5, 2014.

1. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Every angle will have its downfall. But it seems more user-friendly to allow a driver to join current track and then when sessions changes to a new track they don't have to boot him and possibly give him the option to auto-download.
    That's also annoying no doubt but it would be more seamingless then it is now.

Of course admins should not create vmods with multiple tracks to begin with, unless they don't care about visitors.

We just ran FR35 on Mid Ohio. so that's 50/50 instant-joining.

i'm not sure we can just expect everyone to have everything.
    Moreover, in a few years we all might need to limit content because over a GB or 20 because rf2 will start to struggle in performance with too much installed. just a random example but not unrealistic, we might need to ditch things we don't always use. then what.

problems should be solved before they happen, not after they happen.

2. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

It might not be hours, but it might very well be hours....What if in rFactor 1 the server gets voted to a circuit I don't have, what if in GT Legends the server goes to a circuit I don't have, what if in Race 07 the server goes to a circuit I don't have, etc. etc. Well what happens is that the wrong circuit will load for you (one that you do have), and then the game tells you that there is a track mismatch, and then 3 or 4 seconds later you get automatically booted. It's pretty simple :)

+11111111111111111111111111

I generally like EmptyBox though, but yes, I completely agree with what you're generally getting at.

+1111111111111

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2014
  3. FONismo

FONismo Registered

Empty box is like Marmite, you either love him or hate him. He is ok at times i spose, i can only handle him in doses tbh these days, generally prefer stuff with just driving than a guy rabbiting on and on but hes at least better and more knowledgeable than alot out there like Team VVV etc and that gamermuscle guy. All these guys though seem to go with whatever is fashionable to like at the time rather than have a solid trust worthy opinion. That's just me though and to be fair he attracts alot of people to sims tbh, general guys that like watching them type of shows that maybe normally wouldn't of touched sims will do now because they see them racing them.

4. FONismo

FONismo Registered

Forgot to add Niels H videos are the best out there if you like talk and drive and his are the ones i enjoy. Guy is a nutter and drives the way i enjoy ( like a nuttter ) and i enjoy his chat aswell. So i do like some stuff like that.

5. Paul_Ceglia

Paul_Ceglia Registered

Yeah he is great, he keeps it light most of the time and he is super knowledgeable. I like the fact that he has a 5000 dollar wheel bolted down to ply wood lol.....awesome

6. Miro

Miro Registered

TBH I like the way ISI does promotion and stuff like that currently very much.
    I have the impression they let the software talk for itself. There are not many companies out there which do that these days.

Those who like it drive it and love it and those who don't just don't. The downside of this is of course that a lot of people which do not know a lot about it or haven't spent enough time with the software spread a lot of nonsense over the web. Some of them are really very "stubborn". :)

7. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

+1

The reason, I believe, is mostly because Niels just focuses on the pure racing...

All he talks about is corners, driving technique, car handling characteristics, how to change his approach to a corner, etc. etc. He is speaking from the point of view of a racecar driver / engineer.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2014
  8. Matt Sentell

Matt Sentell Registered

Everyone who cares about the future of rF2 and promoting it for online competition should follow Formula SimRacing (FSR) this year. Here's the calendar:

http://www.formula-simracing.net/news/35-wc/755-fsr-2014-calendar

This is the closest thing outside of iRacing to their World Championship divisions. Some of the best (or at least fastest) simracers in the world pushing to the absolute limit, and this season it moves to rF2. It has the potential to be epic and of course it'll be broadcast live. Hopefully ISI will promote it some themselves but the more social media attention it gets, the better for the platform IMO.

First race, this weekend.

9. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

lopl is reserved for tongue in cheek.

I was being deadly serious lol

I would have rather ISI released rF2 Historics sim first, bugger everyone else ! ......... lopl ;)

10. Murtaya

Murtaya Registered

As I understand it the current system of vmod (why you must have the content the server runs, or the server must have made it available for download) is precisely to stop the mismatch thing as it had got out of control, and could also lead to cheating? For me nothing is more annoying than somebody exploiting bugs or hacking to cheat. There has been certain software in the past that I simply threw away after experiencing the online cheating. If the packaging system stops that I'm all for it and the inconvenience.

11. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

Cheating ruined Race 07 for me. I'm not much of a pubby racer, but every now and again it can be fun, but after the Race 07 hack came out even occasional pubby racing became impossible, plus other less obvious cheating too. I hope that never happens with rF2

12. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

It all looks very professional. I doubt RD can put on a decent race though. I can't find what time they race either.

13. Empty Box

Empty Box Registered

Guy's post proves just how blind the fanboys are and why this sim is going to end up nowhere outside of 10 guys willing to put up with several of the issues. Yes, I'm a blunt ahole, fully admitted. And no, this isn't just aimed at Guy, it's aimed at the people who have hailed rF2 as the greatest thing ever, like it's the only sim, how dare you say anything not positive about it. People can like a product and mention flaws with it, people can do what they want with it. Again, don't like it, take matters into your own hands.

I know specifically where his complaint comes from - in a "review" (not even that, more of a "what is rFactor 2" video) for rFactor 2 where I was generally lukewarm, from March 2013. It's pretty strange, rFactor 2 has changed on it's ear since then, and it's not because "I suddenly get it" but because they've put a hell of a lot of work into it. How could anyone in good faith, not trying to promote one sim (some consider me an iRacing fanboy because that is most of what I do - I took a ton of cheapshots in my same series when it came to iRacing) over another say that rFactor 2 in March 2013 was actually worth a damn versus the competition? Right then, right there. Hopes and dreams is all it was. Simple as that. When you have quality content like the Civic, the Panoz, the Karts (which I do believe I called perhaps the best sim vehicle I've ever driven...) on quality tracks that perception will change. But as it was... well, it was hopes and dreams. Dreams are looking more like reality, but there is still a LOT of stuff that is wrong with rF2 - unless you choose to conveniently ignore it. You can tell people it has potential, you can tell them it has a really good chance it will get better - but until that actually happens you know nothing as to it's future.

It's pretty funny how radically different the driving is since the implementation of chassis flex. But hey, it was nearly flawless before, right?

And who the f#@k reviews rFactor 2 for the hits? Who the f@#k reviews any sim for the hits? If hits are what you want, sim racing is the last thing you need unless you want to include Project CARS.

And yet again, if you don't like those "reviewers" reviewing the game as you feel "wrong", then do it yourself. Reviews are opinions, opinions are never wrong. "but I have no audience" is no excuse but a self fulfilling prophecy. In case you can't tell, I want people making videos. I want hardcore rFactor 2 fans promoting their sim, I want them making an effort. Why wouldn't I? More people playing rF2 won't suddenly make GSC not dead online, it's not going to affect iRacing, the other modern sims have no multiplayer that can be taken seriously right now and for the near term future....

Jimmy posted the last hour on his YT channel, it was pretty good stuff.

if you ignore the PS2 graphics and the issues with the track itself. For example, the hilarious "groove" on the circuit by the end of the race, the car models that leave a lot to be desired and look out of place, the head wobble, the game crashing...

rFactor 2's biggest issue is rFactor 2. Very rarely does it actually put it's best foot forward. FSR I believe has some races up that were pretty watchable and looked decent, hopefully they can carry that into the future. Would be nice to see a really good broadcasted with commentator race, overlay for positions, custom car skins, good quality tracks and cars. Put that best foot forward.

14. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Now THIS is a sim-racing video www.twitch.tv/jimmy_bee/c/3994553

Does anyone know who this guy is? Does he have a youtube channel? Brilliant!

LOL very true, haha.

15. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Jimmy very clearly had his gfx turned way down. Not really sure why though because I can run higher on my system which is no where near as fast as his. You can tell from his broadcast that he has shadows set to low. I also suspect his had the sleep timer set to the default 25 which will kill broadcasts if rF2 doesn't stay in the foreground the whole time. I explained what he needed to change to disable the sleep timer but I have a feeling he made the change while rf was running so the change would have been wiped out when restarting rf. I know he had rf minimized during the broadcast because he was using a new camera control/timing/overlay app I made. I find it comical that you are trying to say that Jimmy's broadcast accurately represents what rf2 looks like with a half descent system. It's not like you're on the AC forum with a bunch of people who don't have first hand experience with how it really looks. It sure as hell doesn't look like PS2 gfx. People really seem to forget what GT4 looked like when throwing that silly comparison around.

16. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Oh. I just noticed that last part you said about how you would like to see a broadcast with commentary, skins overlays ect ect. Did you not watch Jimmy's broadcast? It has everything you just asked for. The overlays are minimal right now. I just started working on the plugin/app two days before the race. I've already made some more progress today. Our next race is in May. By then I should have literally every overlay you would see an an FIA WEC broadcast with a remote control tool for changing cars and camera views and queuing up the overlays. Build 629 also has some new plugin features that will let me bookmark parts of the race which can be clicked on later to play a replay. For example a big crash or a great pass. Like in real life how they recap parts of the race for viewers just tuning in.

I suspect we will get a new stable build before our May race so this bookmark feature should make it in time for that race too.

rF2 is doing just fine dispute what others try to say. More and more people are getting behind it and making mods, plugins, UIs ect. I am seeing some old names around here which have been absent for a long time. Leagues are starting go love with it. It's just going to pick up more and more speed.

17. Luis Armstrong

Luis Armstrong Banned

18. Empty Box

Empty Box Registered

And your point Noel? Sebring anyways is a very dated looking track, regardless of settings. And again, you miss the point. There is a very valid reason you hear people say it looks like a PS2 game, because at times it does look like a PS2 game just running in a higher native resolution. I know very well what rF2 looks like, I've seen it for myself running with every setting maxed out, great framerate, everything nice and positive. On a track like Silverstone or Mores, it's fantastic - on something not done to that quality it shows. But when it looks bad, good gravy, it looks bad. Did I say that is how rFactor 2 looks always? It sure is how it looks in that scenario, that is for sure. That is what matters. I've been a backer of rF2's visual potential since the start. It does look good - when it looks good. Right now, that is a very small handful of content. We are perpetuating the "it looks like a PS2 game" thing.

You can say "the shadows are turned to low", but that does not change the fact it looks terrible. And the fact it took them two years to get the shadows to work properly in replays / track side cameras sure does attest to that.

And actually, I was playing GT4 a week ago - it's one of the very few console games that still is fun just because it's fun, and I'll say it sure as heck doesn't look that bad outside the resolution. It may not have the effects, but the car looks like it's on the track, rather than rendered separately like the lighting isn't even there. Notice how once it gets dark every car suddenly becomes coated in milk.... Yes.

rF2 is doing fine. 14 people online across 6 servers. Yes, it's fine.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCq-ylUNa9RoTK5jr6TBOYag

The SROL F1 97 races are well worth watching.

19. Luis Armstrong

Luis Armstrong Banned

I understand when someone make usually videos of call of duty and battlefield at the same time he reviews Arma III. What will be his audience?
    Someone gain amount of viewers of people ho agree with him (most of time i like to think). At least, im talking how i did. I never sign a channel on youtube to get news from someone i strongly disagree. If he has big audience and thats what ISI is aimimg for so...

But i hope ISI keep not listening to the audience lol

btw, felt little bit offended by comments on casual online racers who have no clue where they are (most of time). It is not about where he is on track, it is about his behaviour with other online drivers, i think.

edit2: on track, to be clear.

edit3: i´m kidding on isi dont should listen to the audience. Just not listen the marjority.

20. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Oh I got your point Empty Box, rF2 will only be successful if it looks better than GT4 on it's lowest settings. Man... if only you could explain how rF1 is still so successful because if looks much worse than rF2.