REPLACED Unstable 629

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by 88mphTim, Apr 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

When already connected to the server, right?

2. 88mphTim

Grip is related to RR, so that's a pretty impossible thing to know unless you know the status of your RR on this and every previous usage?

3. 88mphTim

The FFB model (sorry I don't have complete info) now pulls data from the steering column itself I think, and it's made the FFB more fluid and realistic. Wondering if people just have more feel. But I also didn't think it would work on older cars yet.

4. Rony1984

Rony1984 Registered

I wonder the same thing:D

5. 88mphTim

Of course, it also could just be a change in framerate. I don't think people really appreciate how framerate alters a sim. A few extra or less frames and you can start or stop being able to feel the cars. Without the seat of the pants feeling, visual signals of yaw, etc, are everything. A little change in FPS and you don't get the same signals.

6. LeStrat

LeStrat Registered

I have just tested the new build offline :-S

7. Miro

Miro Registered

I don't think it's the frame rate TBH. I've played a lot with FPS and settings since I own rF2. But if I remember correctly there were recently also changes to the suspension and now also to the FFB. This together should have an impact on the FFB and it really feels more "fluid" as you said. Couldn't find the right word myself. At least with the G27 I notice the difference quite easy. Maybe with belt driven wheels it's not as obvious.

8. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

I'm very sensitive to this, I need high fps otherwise I notice a slight loss of "connection"
    sadly for me I seem to notice everything, that's why I brought good gear

in racing sims fps is king ( not high resolutions or graphical details or flashy effects )

9. sg333

sg333 Registered

Not a fan of the new tire/RR/grip or whatever changes :( Cars just seem to snap around with the slightest steering inputs now on corner entry, whereas before you had to 'drive' the car into a corner.

10. 88mphTim

Any specific car, or all of them??

11. lenyj1963

lenyj1963 Registered

I experience a CTD when I tried to load a track or Vehicle. Though this was not a frequent occurrence. I also, after the ctd, noticed that the ctd was due to memory allocation with rf2. Is it possibly it was due to many installed vehicles and tracks? This is my first time experience a memory allocation with rf2. I've checked to see if I had any major program running in the background: there weren't any. I will next release some of the third party tracks and vehicles to see what the outcome will be.

12. BazzaLB

BazzaLB Registered

Can't say I'm experiencing that myself. There's definately a feeling of more grip though. Every car I tried, I beat my previous best lap easily. Its not a bad thing. They are still "alive", but slightly more sure footed. Can't be fps as I run vsync and sit at 60 fps in 3DVision. Whatever it is, its fine by me. Oh, I also have my realroad saved so that should also be consistent.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2014
  13. sg333

sg333 Registered

The URD mod cars seem to be the worst affected as far as ruining the experience. Stable setups now snap violently on fast corner entry. The car responds over sensitively to a slight high speed steering input. I realise they arent ISI cars but the change is most noticable with these.

The FIA F2 just feels like it has lost all steering feel completely, no useful FFB coming from the car anymore. Feels like random bumping and jolting as opposed to feeling what the car is doing. Jr Karts seem GLUED to the track now, even a green track. Cant seem to get the Juniors to snap around like they did when you turned in too hard in the last build. They seem particularly arcade-y now.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2014
  14. Woodee

Woodee Registered

I will have a go with these tomorrow to see if I can re-create what you are saying.

15. C3PO

C3PO Registered

I'm not experiencing this either. Rig issues?

16. sg333

sg333 Registered

Definitely not. I re-installed 629 anyway, no difference. Double checked all settings. The issue seems to be because of comical grip levels, especially lateral. Whereas before a car would 'drift' out and you'd need to release the steering, now the car just turns, so much so that most cars I have tried just seem to snap around from the back end. I cant even drive the URD Darche even close to the way I did before or I spin constantly.

Anyway, I'm going to leave it until this build his a public release and see what the vast majority think. My first impression is that whatever was changed, was for the worse. Driving was PERFECT in the last few builds.

17. Jorgen

Jorgen Registered

I experience this too, Formula ISI 2012 on a green track. It doesn't feel bad though, it was just a tad unexpected. :)

Is the Alt/M keyboard shortcut void now? It doesn't seem to do anything other than print a message. Comparing the player file from B590 showed a new option "Texture Sharpening" instead of the previous "Mipmap LOD Bias" one. Tried both 0 and 5, but none of them look as good as with Alt/M on B590. Maybe I'm doing something wrong though?

18. TJones

TJones Registered

Hi sg333, i did a test with Darche at Loch Drummond, first build590, than 629 same setting and setup. I could'nt feel any difference here.

Did you make a back to back test, something like 590->629->590?

19. Jorgen

Jorgen Registered

Hmm, twice now I have ended up with a "player.TMP" file (instead of player.PLR) in the player folder after exiting the game. What is up with this?

EDIT: Found it. It's when I use Alt/M, then leave the session and exit the game. After that there's a player.TMP instead of player.PLR in the player folder. Weird...

Steps to reproduce:
    - Enter a session
    - Click the Race button
    - Press Alt/M (displays a LOD BIAS message in the console)
    - Press Escape
    - Leave the track
    - Leave the game

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2014
  20. Rony1984

Rony1984 Registered

Interesting. I tested the F2 yesterday and there were a lot of jolts, especially at Silverstone, but I can't say they weren't there before as Silverstone is bumpy and it had been too long since I last drove the F2. The snappiness I definitely do not experience. I'll test the karts later today to what happens. T500 here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.