SOLVED Resolution larger than 1080p crash (was black screen on launch)

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by BlaringFiddle5, Apr 3, 2014.

1. BlaringFiddle5

BlaringFiddle5 Registered

When I open rFactor 2 ... i get the launcher. If I press single player - it launches - i get a black screen only with a white mouse cursor that I can move around. Same if I launch multiplayer. This happened after installing the kart 2014 <--- ???

What I've tried to fix it:

1) remove rfactor2 folder from my documents

2) uninstall and delete rfactor2 from program files

3) run at various resolutions and options.

4) run in a window.

I notice that its still registered and everything when i completely delete and re-install. Are there registry keys somewhere that I can delete?

Assetto Corsa - iRacing - Skyrim run just fine - no problems.

Windows7 - nVidia gtx 680 with drivers 335.23 (latest stable)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2014
  2. PMC

PMC Registered

Don't delete anything else, no need , have you tried downloading the karts again it may be corrupt ,a quike google tells me there might be something missing in the UI .Try uninstallig what you have in mod manager and reinstall new download , check the file size you have

3. BlaringFiddle5

I just reinstalled yet again - installed no mods - was able to launch game at 1024x768 or 1920x1080. Cannot run any larger than that (triple screen user) ... if I run it any larger than that, it just immediately crashes.

I am coming to the conclusion that build 590 or kart mod or something is unstable?

iRacing - Assetto Corsa both function very fine at 5760x1080 ... skyrim - well i run that at 1080p on a TV off to the side :)

4. BlaringFiddle5

i installed gp79 + brianza 1966 and was able to run a race at 1080p

5. PMC

PMC Registered

In most cases if the game was fine previously ,then the latest mod installed is the cause and generally a corrupt mod download . I haven't seen any other complaints from triple screen users . Did you install the track that comes with the mod also ?

6. BlaringFiddle5

i uninstalled and removed all folders. I only have 2 mods installed at this point and i'm further ahead than i was before. I have gp79 + brianza1966 I can run a race at 1080p only - game won't even launch if set higher than that.

7. PMC

PMC Registered

Do you have 3 screens plus your tv , maybe your tv is set as your main monitor in windows (was your last game or what ever on your tv), I tried to replicate on a single screen and it seems if I select the tv on a lower res than reccomended I get a black screen on my monitor , could it be that simple :eek:

I don't use 3 screens so i'm just guessing and I cant really test correctly .

It makes it hard to pinpoint an issue when people reinstall and/or delete stuff unnecessarily .

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2014
  8. BlaringFiddle5

its none of that ... During the time of messing with rFactor2 I've been in and out of Assetto Corsa and iRacing several times.

I fast switch between triple screens and TV using multi-monitor tool. Its quite handy :) Lets you go sit in another chair to play games like skyrim with a controller - just like its a game console :D

9. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Have you tried switching off the monitor tool

10. BlaringFiddle5

the monitor tool only runs when you want to change which monitor is your primary monitor - you launch it - switch monitor (set your TV as primary monitor, for example) so that you can play skyrim, exit tool. I haven't run it since last boot. The only thing that changes since I last played rFactor2 (last weekend) was adding karts and quebec track. I don't see how that could have caused it, however, as all of that has been uninstalled and deleted. The only thing that could have persisted would be if there is some registry nonsense. Or possibly some config files that are outside of my documents/rfactor2 or program files/rfactor2

11. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Reset to the original UI on the advanaced tab in the launcher.

12. kaptainkremmen

kaptainkremmen Registered

Have you tried holding the Windows key and pressing P ?

13. BlaringFiddle5

I have not - what does that do?

14. BlaringFiddle5

I will try that ... I don't know how I have a different UI if I do :)

15. 88mphTim

Kart mod release had one. Couple of times I have seen people with misconfigured UIs. Hopefully it's as easy as what I suggested.

16. BlaringFiddle5

No joy - that did not do anything. I can run at 1920x1080. Anything higher (5760x1080 / 6080x1080) results in immediate crash after splash screen - screen goes black like game is starting and then crash. With or without multiview - makes no matter - sync none - aa none - fxaa / HDR unchecked.

17. 88mphTim

Oh, new issue perhaps. Your specs in profile up-to-date? Can you reply with your driver version?

18. BlaringFiddle5

Those are the correct system specs except I now have Fanatec Clubsport pedals v2. My nVidia drivers are version 335.23

oh - 64bit windows 7

19. BlaringFiddle5

no suggestions on how to fix?

20. PMC

PMC Registered

Have you looked in Mod Manager to see if rFactor2 UI is installed. LOL the issue is definitely this , I just uninstalled it in mod manager and have exactly your problem , the hilarious thing is there's no option to reinstall , now i'm stuck in your position LMAO .

Being that it is definitly a UI issue you could try and install this http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/19145-rFactor-2-Minimalist-UI-Released , then try resorting to rF UI in the launcher advanced tab .

EDIT: OK that works . LOL . I don't suppose some could pack up rFactor2UI for us please if that's possible . I don't know how . :eek:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2014