Nvidia users: Better visuals at the same performance? Yes! And YOUR help is needed!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Robert Gödicke, Mar 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GW Racing

GW Racing Registered

What are you guy's thinking?

This is a no brainer! What a lame excuse for removing such an integral feature?

2. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

GW, what was removed?...

3. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Well read the thread spin rather then posting GSC improvements. lol ;)

4. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Haha ya Durge I totally forgot this was the LOD bias thread, my bad, post deleted :)

5. Savage1969

Savage1969 Registered

Good afternoon. I think I missed something here. I have a GTX870M and I'm staring at an option in the Nvidia control panel "Texture filtering - Negative LOD bias" which is set to "Use global setting (allow)". It has a drop down setting for "Clamp" as well. The control panel description states: "Some applications use negative LOD bias to sharpen texture filtering. This sharpens the stationary image but introduces aliasing when the scene is in motion."

Was this maybe reintroduced lately?

Regards.

6. Damian Baldi

Damian Baldi Registered

which driver version are you using?

7. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

The feature is still listed there. It always has been. Just simply doesn't work for the most part.

Use the texture sharpening in your rF2 player.json file, set it to smoothing ("0"). Or f you have the GPU power (probably not) download NVidia Inspector; there are some AA modes there that apparently have their own LOD Bias', which still work, preset into them. I think it's any of the "combined" AA modes (4xS, 8xS, 8xSQ, 12xS, 16xS, 32xS.).
    For rF1 and older ISI engine based sims, you can download a D3D9 plugin file which then makes the NVidia LOD bias setting work again. Shouldn't be difficult to find. Or just use Sparse Grid Supersampling AA combined with the same amount of Multisampling AA, or one of the "combined" AA modes (mentioned above) if you have the GPU power.

I hope TechAde can chime in here in-case I got something wrong regarding the combined AA modes and their pre-built LOD adjustments.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2014
  8. Savage1969

Savage1969 Registered

Hopefully GPU power shouldn't be a problem. Surely the 870 is no slouch. I'll tinker a bit with it after getting accustomed to the Inspector program. Thanks for the advice.

9. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Give it a shot. In-game gfx settings can make a big difference as well.

10. Savage1969

Savage1969 Registered

Good afternoon Robert. Can you verify if Guzz's dll patcher works and if so, where does one place the modified dll and what settings (in game and/or through Nvidia CP) need to be activated for it to function (or is the clamping automatically forced in the dll)? Thanks so much.

11. BigTool4U

BigTool4U Registered

I just installed the new 344.00 (r343_00-200) and NVIDIA, also with the new branch, didn't fix the problem. :mad:

I wonder: did ISI contact NVIDIA asking for a fix? :confused:

12. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

BigTool4U, NVIDIA hasn't fixed/re-enabled the clamp thing in years. I don't expect the issue becoming resolved any time soon.

People seem to be having much success with the clamp DLL file in other ISI based sims though - not sure if it works with rF2 though.

13. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2014
  14. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

$519 for the 970? WTF? Nvidia just released their official launch prices and the 980 is $550 with the 970 at $350, lol!

The 980 seems a little faster than the 780 Ti, generally speaking.

The 980 thankfully comes with 4GB of ram and with 3 native DP outputs. I have been slamming and slamming NVidia about only a single DP output on their cards for years. My ASUS Radeon HD 7970 Matrix, with all 3 of my monitors plugged in using native DP to DP (or mini-DP), was the best triple-screen experience I ever had with regards to almost never having any tearing, with VSync off, regardless of the game, framerate, and framerate fluctuation. Research indicated it had to do with all 3 cards being connected using native DP to DP and something to do with DP and possibly it's internal timings, who knows, all I know is that I hope this phenomenon continues with the GTX 980 because it's brutal having to go back to tearing (780 Ti) when I went through almost an entire year of none of it with the 7970 Matrix.

Benchmarks:
    - http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/09/19/n...-and-single-gpu-benchmarks-and-impressions/2/
    - http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-nvidia-geforce-gtx-980-review

There is a pretty sweet sounding/looking feature on the 980 (possibly 970 as well) called "Dynamic Scaling Resolution" it's basically downsampling. You can set your game to 1440P or 2160P (4K) even though you might be using a 1080P monitor, it takes a lot of GPU power but should be awesome for older and less demanding games. It's a little more complex "under the hood" than just setting the game to a higher res. There are some tricks going on from Nvidia's side so as to make the downscaled image look even better than normal, as sometimes using a resolution that is not your monitors native resolution might not look as good as native even it it's being downscaled from a higher res, Nvidia claims to have rectified this.

The 980 Ti is going to be the "true" next gen GPU, but that will probably not come out for another 6-9 months.

EDIT: It seems you can use the new "Dynamic Scaling Resolution" feature even on older GPUs (well at least on the 780). Download Nvidia Inspector if you don't already have it, then look for "NVIDIA Quality upscaling" under the "Other" section, someone already confirmed it worked for them. Nvidia has confirmed that they will officially put it in the driver control panel for older GPUs once testing has been completed.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2014
  15. BigTool4U

BigTool4U Registered

Unfortunately Guzz' fix doesn't provide the same image quality of 312.xx and previous drivers because some problems with the anisotropic filter still persist.

I think that a direct request from ISI, as a developer, for a fix would have more "weight" that from a bunch of users.

16. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Ya, the official Nvidia forum is like 10 or 15 pages long if I remember correctly, lots of rF people there.

17. BigTool4U

BigTool4U Registered

Yeah, I know, on my request Guzz created another patcher that works also with the 64bit version of rFactor2: https://forums.geforce.com/default/...clamp-negative-lod-bias/post/4308251/#4308251
    I tested it with the 798 demo and the 340.72 and it works fine, I don't know with the latest drivers.

ATM I'm more concerned about this issue for rF1 and SimBin games, but I have to admit that this is one of the reasons because I still didn't bought rF2.

18. MrPix

MrPix Registered

I use downsampling already on my PJ setup with a 780ti... 3360x1440 in game -> 1920x1080 at the PJ end. I updated the driver today to the new one and have changed the setting: NVIDIA Quality Upscaling in NVI to 0x00000001 from 0x00000000 but do not see any difference.... (is this correct?)

Any ideas how I could use it to increase the image quality?

Thanks in advance, I read this after pre-ordering a EVGA GTX 980 SC as the benchies for the higher res prove quite an increase (pretty similar at 1080p though) and I use a 4k screen for fps gaming when not racing with the downsampled image.

It's a week or so until the 980 and w/c block arrive so would be interested to see if I can get a better sharper image in the meantime with this new setting.

19. oHOWEo

oHOWEo Registered

The 980 looks awesome, very jealous

20. John.Persson

John.Persson Registered

Im getting a GTX970, anything else is just stupid.

Best card for the buck!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.