Karts 0.991 and Quebec SuperKarts 1.07 track available

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by 88mphTim, Mar 29, 2014.

1. Murtaya

Murtaya Registered

I just had a guy round to try out the karts who works with them for a living. He sets them up and gives tuition. Initially I was a bit worried as he could barely keep it on the track. One by one we worked through everything that felt wrong, then I showed him the garage settings. He told me how he sets his karts up. And as we worked through each setting I could see him becoming more and more interested. Once we set it the way he would, and adjusted the brake and accelerator sensitivity, and upped the ffb to levels that will only allow you to play for about 15 minutes before the lactic acid kicks in! He was then able to drive it and was begging for a circuit he knew. He doesn't own a pc or a console. I asked him, is this a game or a simulator? He says it is very much a simulator, and will be coming around again. :)

Does anyone know whether anyone is converting or doing Buckmore Park. The one Niels was doing the talk and drive in a honda NSX?

2. Twista

Twista Registered

Buckmore's a great track, one of the best in the UK imo. Saying that, I never won there back when I was racing :(. I think Rowrah (my local), or PFI would be great too.

3. Murtaya

Murtaya Registered

Yes he asked for Buckmore, PFI, Kimbolton, Rowrah, Shennsomething. Also Genk (belgium) and Garda (Italy). Would all be places he had set up karts for rich kids at.

4. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Buckmore was out for the Rf1... I am not sure the modder that did it is onto rF2 yet though.

What FFB settings for G25 has anyone set? I remember the steering in a kart being very heavy and I wondered if it could be made as close as possible.

I think the fact we can't feel the track through our backsides makes these a little more tricky :)

I've raced at Buckmore Park... in the DARK! :D

5. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

6. Murtaya

Murtaya Registered

It's interesting I can go probably a bit higher than 1.0 and still get no clipping with the kart, every other vehicle I have to run less than 0.8 to avoid clipping. I can't use the kart for very long at 1.0 though.

7. Twista

Twista Registered

Shennington ;). I was club champ there in 2004.

8. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

Perfect is one thing. No clipping is another. I imagine I'd have to ramp up the FFB multiplier to get the true wheel feeling from the kart but at the expense of any sensitivity... which most people would not want. Plus it'd still not offer correct detailed feel of the front tires in attrition with the road.

9. Murtaya

Murtaya Registered

A lot is going to depend on the diameter of your wheel. Smaller wheel, more torque to turn it.

10. Murtaya

Murtaya Registered

What was amusing was how shocked he was when I told him the rig wasn't moving. He could feel the acceleration and braking. He was quite convinced by the head movement combined with the ffb. I just ordered some 3d goggles, probably get simvibe next, should blow his mind completely.

11. tomolart

tomolart Registered

Great job! I'll be driving these for a while.

12. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

these are going to be such a hit

I wasn't really bothered about simulated karts previously

the more I use these ISI karts the more I like them, the track is very good too,

-be good if we can have the option to do each config in reverse (a lot of kart tracks do use reverse course sometimes) think this would be easy to implement ?

these karts are super fun just like doing it in the real world!

got the motion / vibration on my rig setup for them now & it works greats with these

13. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Of course! Great idea Adrian!!!

14. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Thats odd because after playing with the rf2 karts I have sore wrists, arms, shoulders and slightly chest as well. On top of that my right inside thumb has a slight cut and both my thumbs have blisters (or calices?). I have never had any sore body parts, any gashes in my skin, or any calices/blisters from any sim-car, from any sim-game in my entire life of simracing up until the rf2 karts.

It's not as intense as real-life steering obviously but at a certain point we are hardware limited from our wheels rather than software limited.

Plus, set your steering wheel's control panel to maximum and then the in-game car specific ffb multiplier to a higher number if you want more, you'll probably just get massive and constant clipping though.

I have torn apart a real-life Formula 2000 front wing (and had to partly pay for damages out of my own pocket) because I cut the inside curb too much on an apex and the front inside wing smashed into the tyres. Trust me the tyres being so close to where we place the cars is very accurate. Setting a low and more realistic FOV will help make everything in the game world look bigger and that may help with trackside objects.

The marbles are very close to what I've experienced, you really have to make a conscious effort to stay off em, and really need to get out of it when you get on them. However the feel of the marbles sucks in my opinion. GTR1's marbles feel was the best marbles feel of all time, but since it was a "canned" effect then I guess that means it's not good enough for some people, even though it was the best feeling marbles I've ever experienced from any sim.The way the marbles effected the car handling in GTR1 was some of the best I experienced ever as well.

The NVIDIA 3D Vision 2 kit is NOT just some "have fun for a day or 2 then I won't care to use it again gimmick" like the bad movie theatre 3D. It actually adds to the experience giving you better sense of space, speed, depth perception, closing-In-on-other-car speeds, etc. It will make you realise that the only real gimmick, at least for gaming (especially racing sims) is the 2D gimmick that we have all been using for wayyyyy too long :).

Just make sure you can maintain good frame rates. Set your refresh rate to 120 hz and then aim for in-game of 60 (remember it's 60 per eye equaling 120 but the game will report 60).

Remember as well, Lightboost also works at 110 and 100 hz. So if you cannot keep a constant in-game reported 60 fps (120 total), then set your refresh rate to 110 hz and aim for 55 fps, or set it 100 hz and aim for 50 fps.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2014
  15. burgesjl

burgesjl Registered

Tim, I think the devs need a pat on the back for this one. I think this might be the most innovative and different feel from a race sim I've ever experienced. My forearms hurt just like when I have driven these (badly) in the past. Thankfully I do not have the ribcage bruises or neck strain. Please ensure the devs do not add these. Thanks.

16. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Just a quick note, those of you not feeling the steering... What build you using? Karts use a new direct steering code, without newest build, they're using old code.

17. Justy

Justy Registered

Interesting. Is this specific to the karts only? Or will this be implemented on other cars too? Not that I really have any complaints with the FFB as it is, but I'm all for more improvements/refinements, if they're there to be had.

18. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Sweet!! :) Ok we definitely need a detailed explanation on this from you guys at ISI. What was the old code? In what areas do they differ? In what areas are they they unchanged? Was this mentioned in the b590 and/or kart build notes? Does it retroactively effect any/all cars as long as you have b590? Details, please :)

19. Empty Box

Empty Box Registered

Not really consistent with my experiences. When I was online Saturday night / Sunday morning guys like DrR1pper and Luke (he's in R1pper's video) were racing, and while we were all fairly even-ish (DrR1pper won one, I won one and I think Luke one the third while I was there for about 2 or 3 hours) in speed and could keep it on the road more often than not, the rest of the field was a hazard. There were about 20 guys online, many of whom were lapped quickly, spun frequently and were more of a death trap than anything. It never once felt like actually racing, because there was so little consistency on top of the rfactor 2 netcode. They are tricky cars (err, karts) to drive and I don't think the F1s suit the general populace well, but hopefully as time marches on that improves as people get more comfortable and more drivers can keep them on track more often than not.

Not to mention that any light contact results in the netcode spazzing out and sending them off at 20 MPH more than they should be doing - in karts, where contact is bound to happen. I'd like to try the Juniors out though, as they are a bit easier to get a grasp on so I think they would provide a better experience. Nothing to do with iRacing, everything to do with poor netcode that makes rF1 look spectacular and poor driving to "I can't keep it on that track for more than a corner" levels. That doesn't make for an enjoyable experience regardless of who you race.

20. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Ya like I said the netcode is pretty bad at the moment. The collisions, the way the cars around you move around and travel across the track, their chassis/suspension's visual physics, etc.

You're on a public server, with a new car, that is one of the fastest and trickiest cars to drive in all of motorsports, on a tiny track that takes 45 or so seconds to go around. Of course there is going to be a huge difference in laptimes across the field and backmarkers everywhere, that's not the sim's fault.