Computer overheats when running rF2

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hamiltonfan2205, Mar 28, 2014.

1. hamiltonfan2205

hamiltonfan2205 Registered

I've been having this problem for a couple of weeks now. Basically I have only been running rfactor 2 for like 10 mins and it overheats and gets up to a temperature of 90*C. It's fine when running rfactor. It has only happened on one track which is Silverstone.

2. datanode

datanode Registered

This doesn't sound rfactor 2 specific. Can you confirm that no other application that stretches the computer has this issue?

What CPU is it? Is the heat sink not on properly?

3. Magus

Magus Registered

Your CPU or GPU? I had an issue when playing rf2 (but was only game that I really played) and my CPU would overheat and PC shut down. Ended up being a dust build up on one end of my (at the time) H50 cooler. If it's your CPU I would start of with a clean out of the fans and as stated above, reseat the heat sink with new thermal paste and take it from there.

Also as stated above, make sure you have no other programs crunching away at your resources.

4. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

It's not possible for our software to specifically do this. Our software might be stretching your system a little more than anything else you run, but you would need adequate cooling for any system. Clean your fans, improve cooling.

5. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

^This and is it a new PC that you built yourself? If so, check with a program like "intel burn test" to put a lot of load on the cpu and all it's cores. Check temperature and see if there's any difference between cores and note how high each is. You may have a defective cpu (unlikely), defective cpu temp sensor (i experienced this many years ago with the intel e8400 but it was a widespread issue) or applied the thermal paste badly causing inconsistent constact with your cpu cooler (I've had to reapply in the past and noted a 20C reduction) or as Tim said, simply a very dusty cpu cooler.

6. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

Time to open up the case and give it a good cleaning. The paste between your cpu and heatsink could be dried out and under performing as well.

Edit: I'm just repeating what others have said. :p

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2014
  7. hamiltonfan2205

hamiltonfan2205 Registered

I'm using a laptop, it was fine before and it works fine with rfactor 1

8. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

It still wouldn't make sense to lay blame at rfactor 2 or any software for the matter in fact (short of cpu benchmark software but if your reaching 90 degrees on those then it too might suggest something is wrong with your cpu, cooler, airflow, etc). Yes rfactor 2 uses the cpu more which will invariably warm it up more than rfactor 1 but seeing a temperature of 90 degrees on a cpu would not be considered normal or suggest a long life. You can take it positively that rf2 is showing you (accidentally) that something is not quite right with your system and you should investigate it further.

9. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

My old laptop used to be fine, until it wasn't, too.

They also have fans. They also get clogged up.

10. Ruben Miranda

Ruben Miranda Registered

Hello
    I know I should not but I can not stop myself.

Just when you think you heard everything being blamed on RF2 it now burns/heats up CPU's
    Dang I will be able to save on gas I will run RF2 and make eggs at the same time. LOL

Ruben

11. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

Try running your radiator at 4. With a 3 setting mine heats up on the straights too.

12. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

LOL!

13. Gupster

Gupster Registered

14. MarcG

MarcG Registered

my internal case temp rises 7c-10c when running RF2 (and other fullscreen games), not a problem of course as I have a decent cooler system (non-water just fans), even got a little dial on the front of the case to speed up the fans and the lights get brighter and EVERYTHING...it's great!

15. SVO

SVO Registered

rFactor and rFactor2 have always pushed my GPU temps to the max. However, I know this to be the case and I also know that having my fan on auto does not keep up. Therefore, I always turn my fan speed up using precision or MSI or inspector to the max setting. From there it's happy sailing...errr...driving!

16. coops

coops Banned

give it a clean.

17. SVO

SVO Registered

+1

This is a must. Of course, I live in the desert!

18. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Mad Onion 3D Mark any from 2006 build on will push CPU and GPU to maximum and is consistent.
    It will also show up flaky ram and bios settings .

Run HWInfo and Riva Tuner OSD ( comes with MSI Afterburner) for CPU/GPU power, usage, fan rpm and heat on screen realtime.

Watch how fast or slow the GPU and CPU heat and cool in the different tests.

How long does it take to drop to idle temperature.

Yes before testing this method do as already suggested earlier by others.

1. Remove all hardware and cabling from case, gentle blow clean all parts free from dust.
    2. Tidy wiring and cables for maximum airflow
    3. Test in ambient environment between 20 and 24C
    4. Set manual fan limits in MSI Afterburner , run a profile peaks 100% earlier ( this may also show up bearing wear )

If you are "handy" clean, reseat and repaste CPU beforehand as also advised above posts.

P.S. I am working on a mates i5-2400 and ATi HD5850 as we speak.
    Did all the above before I even started with a new OS ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2014
  19. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

Laptops are notorious for heating up for several reasons. Dust is a primary concern, but airflow on a laptop is not great, so care should be taken on what is around the laptop. If you don't already have one, invest in a laptop cooler pad. These are items that you place under the laptop that have fans to blow air at the bottom of it. This in turn helps airflow into the vents and allows for better cooling. As others suggested, open it up and clean out the dust, as this too will improve airflow and cooling. Make sure there is nothing within a couple of inches of any side of it to ensure that there are no restrictions. If all this fails to get results, take it to a shop and have them go through it to see what is happening.