karts preview

Discussion in 'ISI cars and tracks' started by Javik, Mar 27, 2014.

1. Javik

Javik Registered

2. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

Definitely a dated look but I am looking forward to running them :). Can't wait to see what the difference will be from that to what we have in GSC 2013.

3. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Yeah, track does have a pre-Mores look. Possibly pre-LRP look. Kerb and grass textures mainly.

4. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

I wasn't even referring to track :p. But as it's been mentioned before, everyone and their mothers know the stuff isn't new and that it'll be revisited someday.

How is the feeling through the steering wheel? Fast, heavy, and direct tire feel? I am really also looking forward to that (especially after I get that FFB plug-in and make sure I'm all good).

5. sg333

sg333 Registered

Mores could be a pretty good kart track :p

6. 88mphTim

I guess I would describe is as jolting. For me, it feels like a kart. I get the same instant covered in sweat effect, aching arms, fingers, etc. No power steering there. ;)

In my opinion the kart looks fine. Nothing "wow" but it doesn't look noticably old to me.

7. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

Excellent. Maybe I'll kill my Porsche wheel while still under warranty, and end up getting something better... and gloves, that damn alcantara.

8. FONismo

FONismo Registered

rF2 especially from those shots badly needs some decent PP effects for replays. Some DOF and stuff like other sims have, really wish the whole replay system would get overhauled, so frustrating when you go to make stuff and it looks so poor in comparison to other stuff, it ends up annoying me these days, so i give up. Really lacks realism in replays and still shots, what makes it even more frustrating now is the cars themselves are starting to behave nicely in terms of fidelity, but stuff looks so flat and fake once you zoom in with freecams. These shots look kinda of like a HD remake of TOCA or something. Not overly fussed with karts anyway but did think the same as you with those shots when i see them, bit of a backwards step from recent content i think.

9. Slimjim

Slimjim Registered

Can't wait to get my hands on these, it's time to dust off the modding tools and start looking at all the tracks i have to update.
    are both karts single gear type.? and will it be possible to add the shifter animation to the kart once finished.?
    i never use driver arms in my cockpit view, but just wondering if it was going to happen.?

very cool surprise coming, timeline on when we should see these.?

10. 88mphTim

Very soon.

We plan to do some shifters. These are both single.

11. 88mphTim

It was made before recent content. That's the reason for that. Although it's not an excuse of course.

12. MarcG

MarcG Registered

This is'nt a Sim purely for Replays and fancy videos ya know, it is actually for racing! personally I hope Replay stuff is on the Low priority list as there are plenty of High priority things to get sorted for the bulk of the actual racing.

13. Prodigy

Prodigy Registered

True dat.
    By now people are supposed to get used that graphically RF2 would not change much in the future, minor things would for sure, but the engine offers what it offers, that's pretty much it.

14. Galaga

Galaga Banned

i think it's good that shifters will come later. from what i understand, people IRL start with shifters too early before they understand the basics and then never understand the basics...

15. elcoco

elcoco Registered

+1

16. Twista

Twista Registered

Saying that is such a cop out. You just have to look at the other sims currently in beta to see that you can quite easily have a very refined physics engine and also eye candy. I'm not saying ISI should make it a top priority (I wouldn't want them to!), but somewhere down the line it would be nice to have some visual improvements, even if they're kept in replay mode, or are entirely optional.

17. smithaz

smithaz Registered

Have you had a look at the optimal FFB settings thread? I would guess the minimum steering torque setting would make quite a big beneficial difference to karts.

18. FatCity

FatCity Registered

I loved that video, couldn't believe how good the track looked and how realistic the karts seemed to be. I'm 57 and whenever I go on the Karts at Phillip Island, yes there only fun karts but who cares when you're 57, I get sick lol, just watching the video had my eyes rolling around in my head lol.
    Just one question will there be a template for the driving suits ? love to do some oldie bike racers stuff for these, some Dave Aldana's or Kenny Roberts etc would look great even if I will only see the back of them lol.

19. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I'm assuming you mean in terms of graphical fidelity, because in term of physics fidelity they have always been great.

I'm 50 / 50 with regards to DOF, sort of torn....

- DOF and stuff like that would look nice, yes, partly because the DOF gives it a TV look, and partly because DOF hides all sorts of graphics anomalies, aliasing, etc. It's amazing how the graphics get transformed (in a good way) just by adding DOF when NOTHING else is changed, not textures, not resolution, not lighting, nothing at all. Just add DOF and BAM replays look beautiful (especially "TV Cam" replays, since it really makes it feel like a proper televised look).

- On the other hand, I wouldn't say that lack of DOF makes it look fake, unless you're comparing it to a televised video-camera / photo-camera look, but in that case a video-camera / photo-camera look looks fake compared to real life, so then having DOF can be itself considered "fake" looking if you're comparing it to real-life, rather than to a television / "photo-mode" look :)

In real life I can choose to focus on whatever I want, I am not stuck in some sort of "forced to focus on what the camera wants me to focus on, like some sort of movie" mode. If someone feels they need to add in DOF in order to make things seem un-flat and more depth and pop, then they're doing it wrong, they'd be much, much, much, better off by getting themselves an NVIDIA 3D Vision 2 kit, then they'll get much more proper "pop", depth, un-flatness, without having to resort to completely blurring out entire parts of the image as a way of trying to "simulate" a 3D look. Adding DOF is a terrible way to compensate for using a 2D setup.

In terms of adding it, to ones liking, for screenshots....Isn't that what photo editing software is for?

- The best compromise of DOF being used in my opinion, is in a very, very slight way where rather than simulating the EXTREME blur that a camera gives you (depending where it's focused) it instead just uses a very, very slight blur at a constant rate the further and further anything is from the player's "eye point". So essentially it is simulating how things become blurrier and blurrier to any human being the further and further away things get from you. This method would be a much more true-to-life DOF effect than the "video camera telling us where to look, and everything outside that spot is a blurry mess" look.

- EDIT: Just wanted to add a final thought. Yes, the DOF would look beautiful in a "TV" cam replay, but it would have to be toggleable because I often watch replays from TV cam and I also often watch live action from TV cams, including the static mouse-controllable TV cams, and in those cases DOF IS THE LAST THING I would want. I find myself looking at all sorts of different objects around the track, different cars at different points of the circuit, I really feel like I am there in the stands, or standing trackside. DOF would completely RUIN this experience as everything would be a blurred, vaseline mess, and I would not be able to enjoy watching the whole track like I can in real life and in-game without DOF, instead I would be forced to focus on whatever the DOF camera decides for me to focus on and that's it, completely ruining the immersion and experience.

If you've ever watched from TV cams, especially the static mouse controllable ones, on triple screens (especially with multiview), then you'll know what I'm talking about ;). DOF would completely ruin this.

- I say have 3 options that are all toggleable in real-time in-game with the simple press of a button

Option 1 - No DOF at all
    Option 2 - The slight DOF I explained above that simulates how things get blurrier and blurrier the further away off into the distance they get from any human being's eye point (this would look awesome while using trackside cams to spectate)
    Option 3 - The "popular" video/photo camera look type of DOF that most people are familiar with

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2014
  20. pay2021

pay2021 Registered

Something good will be animate the whole driver instead just arms, hands and head, but for that you need to atach in some way the head to the neck when its move to the side, for now if you move the whole torso to the sides the head stay in the middle.