Guide: Optimal FFB settings for rFactor 2 - The key to being in the "Zone" :D

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DrR1pper, Mar 26, 2014.

1. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Really? It's in Game Controllers, but on my installation, Fanatec replaces it with their logo/shortcut. But just try to go to the normal game controller control panel and see what you see (assuming your wheel is turned on). It's a Fanatec-specific series of tabs and settings.

What wheel do you have and which driver and firmware version?

And to Euskotrack's point above, who knows which wheels need which settings? I am assuming the control panel overrides the wheel for my CSW, because I have always had the wheel on-board dPr setting at 100. ???

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2016
  2. MystaMagoo

MystaMagoo Registered

100?
    My choices are OFF -4,-3,-2,-1,0,1,2,3,4

"SPR / DPR (default = 0)
    These Force Feedback modifiers give you the ability to change the Force Feedback Signals of a game. Spring (pulls the wheel towards the center) and damper (creates friction). Not every game uses all types of effects and some games even use only one type to create all different feelings. Using your tuning menu in the CSW you can increase, reduce or de-activate these different effects individually."

3. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Yep, we have different Fanatec wheels. Even within the one company's products the settings don't match. Hence why this can all go so seriously wrong when even if you figure out the right/best settings, the driver screws up and doesn't produce what it is showing on the screen.

4. spankthemunkey1

spankthemunkey1 Registered

Hi DrR1pper , no mate there is no minimum torque setting there at all, this is what makes me think that i have an old build or something, but it says the game is up to date

5. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Try a fresh install, there were issues with auto-updating and some new UI components not showing up properly in previous builds :)

6. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

As suggested above, fresh install, but delete your files from the UserData folder, too. There where so many changes in the last months, keeping your old files would drop you into the next trouble...

7. spankthemunkey1

spankthemunkey1 Registered

Hi JuergenBY, if i do a fresh install i would loose all the mods i have installed, how do i go about saving them?, i am not that computer savy when dealing with file systems. any help would be greatfully recieved

8. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Move your "Package" folder somewhere else, save your license files, copy your car setups to a save place, uninstall rF2 and remove everything from the rF2 install folder. Install rF2 light.

Pathes:

But if you dont know what you`re doing...maybe you can find someone who can help you with e.g. teamviewer etc.

Stephane P likes this.
  9. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

By not having rF2 installed on the C drive, I've never lost license or packages folder when doing a fresh install. I just uninstall rF2, go into the rF2 install folder and delete everything except the packages folder. Then reinstall rF2 to same place. You do have to reinstall the mods but everything is there.

All the years I've ran rF2, I never put it on drive C. I haven't had to back up anything. on a fresh install.

10. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Nobody was talking about to put rF2 to drive "C". But the license files are stored there...

11. mog0001

mog0001 Registered

Need help for the csw v2 and ffb in general!!!!

Ive been trying to love rfactor2 and definitely I can see this being amazing.

However, I was just wondering whether anyone knows how to optimise ffb (mainly re strength) as it still feels like I'm driving on ice at speed (when very slow it does feel realistic, the pedal plugin shows ffb levels are high but when I'm driving at speed it feels like I am floating. This seems to be a bigger issue in cars like the clio, megane, and mazda)

I've read this guide and for the most part it seems that people suggest the car specific multiplier should be close to 0.9. However I've noted on a lot of cars I'm going upwards of 1.1 and it doesn't look like the ffb comes close to clipping using the pedal overlay and normal racing with the ffb feels floaty.

The main issue is I don't get a feel of the wheel on the road at speed and almost no sense of when the tire grip is exceeded.

I must admit I've only put in a max of 17 laps or so as it is very disconcerting (almost no feedback on fast turns with the pedal overlay showing 40-50% or there abouts - only more than that at very slow speeds) so I'm not sure if it becomes stronger the more you drive and may be a matter of cold tires and fresh track.

I adjust the minimum torque to just get some wheel movement at low speed and even so there seems to be a large dead zone.

I did change the type of ffb to using friction in the json file if that makes a difference but otherwise no other changes.

My current wheel settings on the csw v2:
    FF100
    Shock off (tried up to 100)
    Force 120-130 (go back and forth to try and boost the feel but it isn't linear above 100 so don't want to rely on this)
    Damper + spring off (not quite sure what these do tbh)
    Drift off (I can feel it makes counter steer lighter but floaty already)

12. MystaMagoo

MystaMagoo Registered

Try this controller.........
    View attachment MM01.zip
    unzip the json
    place into UserData\Controller
    start rF2
    go to settings/controller
    load MM01
    change accelerator,brake,clutch etc etc to your desired.
    test

13. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

I have the CSW original, and I know they are different from the CSW2, but the basic floatiness you are talking about is a result of improper settings. Believe me, once configured properly, the Megane for example will feel very heavy.

First, don't use anything that isn't linear, so drop the Force back to 100. Use FULL damper and spring (opposite of off). Make sure Dampening is set to 100% in the Windows Controller/Fanatec control panel. Then see what it feels like.

After that, try tweaked files like the one Mysta sent you, but better to get the basics sorted at default values first before fine tuning or adjusting.

14. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Q for the group: did FFB change at all with Build 1080 or 1084?

15. Comante

Comante Registered

I think yes, but no factual data to confirm it, just my impressions.

16. Depco

Depco Registered

Bump to get this back on top.

17. Bowie

Bowie Registered

Evening.

Just quickly, another thank you for this initial post all the way back there.

It simply transformed my experience with R Factor 2 with the little 'ol G25. Thank you so much!

Cheers

18. jakobdylan

jakobdylan Registered

Hi Bowie
    Please could you share your setting for g25?
    have a nice day

19. Korva7

Korva7 Registered

For osw users: I have found rf2 in-game ffb smoothing to be beneficial with my argon-lenze set up.
    I have end up using smoothing at 4, mmos overall filter 10 and TBW: 3300. This is with heavyish steering wheel. With lighter wheel i would use lower TBW.

20. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

You're most welcome Bowie. Happy to hear it's still got some use. :)