Guide: Optimal FFB settings for rFactor 2 - The key to being in the "Zone" :D

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DrR1pper, Mar 26, 2014.

1. newtonpg

newtonpg Registered

Some interesting findings related to STM to conclude that it affects the FFB at my G25.
    The graphs show more than million words.
    Logitech Profiler @85%
    Those are only numbers but I think Ive found a way to minimize my FFB deadzone.

STM=0.20000 excessive
    STM=0.02000 is ok but need some more testing
    STM=0.00100 is weak but ok and also need more testing

Telemetry Plugin (Nissan GT-R @ Silverstone, STM=0.20000).png Telemetry Plugin (Nissan GT-R @ Silverstone, STM=0.02000).png Telemetry Plugin (Nissan GT-R @Silverstone, STM=0.00100).png

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2014
  2. tarros

tarros Registered

hi ...man
    i take your point ..tryng a different approach with same data from wheelcheck, my purpose should be a general linear setting for my wheel beside rfactor2 stm setting
    i standardize value for force and deltaxdeg
    for 101 ffb profile setting i obtained this y = 0,0674x - 1,7534 R²=0,9854
    for 90% ffb profile setting i obtained this y = 0,0676x - 1,7586 R²=0,9912
    clearly dead zone reduce value for b coefficient
    can i say 90% is the most linear setting?
    is this correct...?
    i'm focus on high forces because seems to become flat with value near and over 100%
    i think high forces are critical in situation when you need a clear feeling (like oversteer an understeer)
    P.s. i use a STM=0.10000
    my 2 cents
    Andrea

3. newtonpg

newtonpg Registered

@Andrea
    We are into different needs. While I'm trying to reduce the low end ffb gap, you are optimizing the high forces.
    When I say coeff. b=1 is the ideal relationship, Im assuming you are studying the relationship between input force (%) and displacement of the wheel in distance or degrees (%). If b=1 then each unit of input force will displace the wheel for an equal amount (%) it can also be seen as a 1:1 relationship. When b=1.10 you have a 1:1.10 ratio.
    You plot force% against deltaDegrees displacement and I dont know if the resulting numbers are equal to the above situation. I think you could transform degrees data into % (of the maximum delta degree) to confirm if the resulting linear regression will result different.
    The most linear adjust is when R²=1.00 but you dont need to quest the holy graal as something between 0.95 and 1.05 is superb for our needs and even 0.90 to 1.10 is acceptable. The same applies for the b coeff. Examine the cloud points and the regression line a lot, maybe you will find a 1:1 ratio from (lets say) 20% till 100%. That is a good numerical solution to define the overall profile force but dont be fooled by the numbers as handling the car is the most important thing.

4. Axe

Axe Registered

And how did you make the graph in the OP for t500 with initial deadzone removed? Another third party tool used to simulate STM function?

5. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Yes but it's limited to the program that does the test.

6. Axe

Axe Registered

Is it that wheelcheck.exe function? How to disable it?

7. MystaMagoo

MystaMagoo Registered

Remember that the G25 & G27 have a physical deadzone inbuilt by Logitech,you will never get rid of it completely.
    In rF1 you can tune the amount of deadzone to be just a 'click' when going past center,not to sure with rF2 yet.....
    you can really notice this 'deadzone' in flip flops and chicanes.
    Maybe the word deadzone is wrong for the Logitech problem,I can't recall what word was eventually used for the problem?

8. Racefreak1976

Racefreak1976 Registered

Not much fun beating your own time. If someone would be willing to give me some competition, I'd be more than happy to push a little harder.

View attachment 12257

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2014
  9. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Yes.

How to disable it? Did you mean how do you enable it? A deadzone offset is not enabled by default.

There's a box called "Min force" that is set to "0" by default. The scale of forces is 0 to 10,000 (= 0% to 100%) so each 1% = 100). So you just add whatever value you wish into that box (e.g. 500 for 5%). But this is useless for any game because this is limited within the wheelcheck.exe program.

10. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Not driven that one b4. What track as well?

edit: probs won't have time. Flight tomorrow....lots to do.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2014
  11. Foxiol

Foxiol Registered

Very nice and detailed thread. I´m messing with this using the "rF2 Pedal & FFB Overlay Plugin" with my G27. Though the dead zone won´t change that much no matter what I do.

Thank you for this great thread. ;)

12. Racefreak1976

Racefreak1976 Registered

You're...you're not seriously telling me you've never driven on the mother of all racetracks, are you? I highly recommend you do ASAP. Otherwise you're missing something real good.
    Get the Nordschleife!
    Are you the guy flying or...are you flying somewhere? lol

Oh, btw make sure to get 0.97n

13. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

I thought it might be nords based on the time listed but wasn't sure. It didn't say anywhere.

I'm flying somewhere. :p

If i have time later, i'll give your time a crack.

14. Axe

Axe Registered

:) disable
    I am not sure I am interpreting the test correctly, please verify it, the data file is at http://ulozto.sk/xBwdAz7K/log2-2014-04-05-12-25-24gtrim-xlsx
    But if I am correct, CSW (with GT2 rim and my settings, FW and driver) do not have any FFB deadzone. The line is not perfectly linear but very similar to the curve you posted as t500 with FFB deadzone removed. It would explain also why my wheel tends to oscillate with very small value of STM.
    So when I was thinking about it I thought it could be caused by something which mimics STM function during the test. That was the reason why I ask you how to disable it. But it is disabled by default I have check it now, your right.

Could you comment? did I create the graph correctly?
    View attachment 12261

15. newtonpg

newtonpg Registered

Hi Magoo!
    Agree and thats why I claim to minimize (via software) and not to get rid of the looseness.

16. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Oh, very interesting. Yes it appears that you actually have no deadzone which is very interesting.

What are all your settings (not including rf2)?

17. yanaran

yanaran Registered

Axe, when you open WheelCheck, first thing you should do is select the "Min force" test in the drop-down list. It takes a few seconds and then it will display your minimum torque at the bottom of the window with the text "Your maximum value for steeringFFBBaseOffset is X.X% (XX)". This value is what you should set as your STM in the .ini file (if any).

From the looks of your graph it will say 0 or close to it in your case, which means you have no need to set STM in rF2. My G27 for example says 16.5% with profiler at 90% strength so I set my STM to 0.16500 and it works perfectly, no need to "tinker" with different values. The setting he's talking about to mimic the STM effect inside the test program is the "Min force [ ]" box around the middle of the window, and it defaults to 0 so unless you've manually entered something else there you're good.

18. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

I found this not so good as it would sometimes say 0.5% and other times 2.0% or 3.0%. Add to that the "Step Log 2 (linear force test)" produces even larger minimum values (in my case around 8%) and it simply doesn't add up to be a good gauge for the perfect stm value. So i had to rely on my own testing ingame to find the truly correct value for the stm. Add to the fact that the right stm value is also dependent on how you've set your ingame ffb multiplier and it's really a matter of testing to find the right value. Which shouldn't be an issue because it's pretty easy to tell when the wheel stops oscillating/vibrating when stationary or moving ever so slowly down the pit lane.

Axe's issue is that from his graph, he literally has no deadzone so any amount of stm will incur oscillation/vibrations. I'm very interested in what he has for his wheel settings to see if there's anything in particular that may explain this.

19. Racefreak1976

Racefreak1976 Registered

Good luck with that! Someone just made 7:03 :p Not me though, unfortunately.

20. MystaMagoo

MystaMagoo Registered

Just a small tip for all.
    You can copy your controller ini and rename it test01 or whatever you want.
    Place the copy in the controller folder,make numerous copies with different tweaks.
    you can 'load' these copies in game from settings/controller,no need to quit the sim and 'retweak'.
    Even rename the ini to suit the tweak.