Guide: Optimal FFB settings for rFactor 2 - The key to being in the "Zone" :D

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DrR1pper, Mar 26, 2014.

1. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

That's what I initially thought too.

No wonder I like Fricton better. Man this setting is a revelation for me.

2. MystaMagoo

MystaMagoo Registered

Is this line of any use to us?

Steering torque zero-speed mult="0.30000" // Multiplier at zero speed to reduce unwanted oscillation from strong static aligning torque

3. Primaguida

Primaguida Registered

Hello. Yesterday I started to test this FF configuration, thanks to a friend; I liked it and I decided to join ISI forum.

I made only first half step changes (no "Part 2"), becouse I already have some issues driving Formula ISI with my G27:
    - with new tires, the FFB Overlay Plugin doesn't become red if I set FFB multiplier to 0.25 (I can increase it, but it's only red at 0.50 in an high speed corner), but if tires are not very well managed, lap after lap, FFB Overlay Plugin showed red where in first laps there was yellow.
    - it's not easy to jump over high curbs with this FF; I have many vibrations, loosing accuracy, and I wasn't testing in Monza hehe.

I would like to have some suggestion. My target it be fast as possible in full races, without loosing accuracy (aka perfomance). Thank you,
    Alessio

4. Axe

Axe Registered

so, thanks for my young princess a video is made and put to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSTd2kBUZ9I&feature=youtu.be
    3 attempts, STM 0 then 0,04 and finally 0,5
    please, take o look at that. do not hesitate to shift volume up to better hearing the "rattling"
    not any additional forces in the wheel settings, also dampening in the profiler set to 0, on the wheel itself everything off, except FF and FOR on 100
    when stationary, the wheel is absolutely quiet regardless STM value

I hope it will be some stupid little thing which I overlooked...

5. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Axe, i'm not sure why you have a "steering torque minimum" line in those specific wheel controller ini files....I don't and besides that those are the wrong files.

You want to change the "steering torque minimum" value in the file called exactly "controller.ini" and it's located in ":\rFactor2\UserData\player"

I have a sneaking suspicion that you may have added some before but forgotten that it was this specific file you did it to hence the constant rattling. Almost certain thee "steering torque minimum" in those specific wheel controller ini files does nothing...but stranger yet is why you have that line in there in the first place.

6. Axe

Axe Registered

I think that's it, thank you
    Now I am in a hurry, I have done only a quick check and right now STM value 0 in the controller.ini. I will try it in the evening.
    Current rattling during slow driving - I think it can be caused by smoothing at 0, can't it? How much smoothing do you use?

7. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Also ffb smoothing 0 but it should not cause rattling especially at slow speed. Set at 0 = pure ffb. Set higher reduces the high rates of change in ffb force and direction which causes the internal transmission of your wheel to make a rattling sound as metal hits metal (for gears if your wheel uses gears...e.g. G25/27) harshly and with frequency.

I had a csr elite wheel which is the same as your CSW base and you shouldn't be getting rattling unless your driving over very bumpy track surface or off track or over kerbs/rumble-strips.

8. rodger

rodger Registered

Thank you for posting. I am using the settings to set up my T500 works great.
    I do have a lot of problems with the makcorp cars Mazda etc. serious ffb.
    Any one have any settings for their cars?

9. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

If true, then we need a way to mix the two because choosing one over the other is not optimal. I always used a majority RealFeel in rF1, but without a percentage of the other component mixed in, it never felt "real."

10. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

I remember I had to lower ffb multi to 0.05 (or even lower?) with Mazda (I have T500). Try that value. It still didn't feel as good as many other cars.

11. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Ya I also hate the 100% only real-feel method in RF1, GSC, etc. I can get so much more information and feedback from the car with a mix of Realfeel and regular FFB settings. Although physically it may not be as realistic to my hands, it is overall more realistic to my brain and just to the overall experience of driving as a whole, because in real-life you don't just drive from what your hands literally feel on the wheel, on the contrary, I'd say 75% of your feel DOESN'T come from your wheel.

I like the damping and friction options in the rF2 settings being seperate though, keeps things more simple. Don't want to go back to the RF1 days of a hundred different FFB settings, well actually I would love that, but my own personal preference aside I would not want that for the sake of the product in general and sake of most others. Maybe re-implement it back in the controller INI with a heading and line saying something like "to edit and activate the below lines of old RFactor 1 FFB code please change the "0" to a "1"" or something?

On top of the friction vs damping thing, Tim just revealed that the new karts are using a new direct steering FFB or something (can't remember his exact words).

Nevermind the old rFactor 1 FFb code, even on the curent rF2 FFB code there are like 5 or 10 settings we don't understand, for the most part.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2014
  12. rodger

rodger Registered

Thanks TIG_green I was way up around .50 didn't think to go that low. Big difference with .05.
    Still I agree it doesn't feel as good as the other cars.
    I'll play around with the settings some more see if I can get it to feel better.
    Thanks again

13. MaD_King

MaD_King Registered

I said "Like" to make a feeling description, it's not equal to pure RealFeel in rF1.
    It was just to describe the balance between pure grip feeling and body movement feeling (like Realfeel do in rF1), in rF2 it's a compromise with 0=use damping.

14. Luis Armstrong

Luis Armstrong Banned

Nice post Dr1pper. Will give a try later.

ps: i always use "enable centering spring in ffb games" checked but strength set to 0 in g27

15. Axe

Axe Registered

confirmed, that was the mistake, I changed the wrong file. Finally I am able to suffer the oscillating. :) But still some questions/notices.

notices:
    1.oscillating appears instantly after race button, with car stopped in the garage
    2.with lower STM values oscillating present in stopped car dissapears with car movement, in very slow speeds and hands off the wheel replaced by that soft rattling (which is definitely completely another kind of feeling, far higher frequency and far lower amplitude)
    3.I had to set STM to 0,00315 to prevent any oscillating, which seems to be very low. Frankly, also with this value I noticed oscillating 1x for a short period but I gave up. But already with STM approx. under 0,01 the oscillating was not present always/constantly. When I moved the wheel few degrees, oscillating appeared/disappeared/reappeared.
    4.I have not noticed any physical deadzone with my CSW. But STM above 0 creates "deadzone feeling". A small area about the center is very loose and after some degrees to both left and right suddenly far higher resistance, with "clack" sound. It is like loose gearing. With this finding I closely test STM at 0 again and found that this "deadzone feeling" is present also there, but practically unnoticable, without any sound, you have to know what to look for. with STM higher than 0 it is clear and more STM causes more "deadzone feeling". I hate this feeling.

questions:
    - how strict to be on oscillating suppressing? Based on what was written in this thread I would say more is better and when oscillating is present only car stationary and not during the driving with hands on the wheel then it is good. what is your opinion?

Frankly, I do not feel STM as a big improvement ATM. The wheel movement is not fluid as I use to. Maybe it is caused by that "deadzone feeling". But maybe the additional forces disturbs me and they have to be there...I will give it a time and will see.

16. Comante

Comante Registered

About the daunting dilemma about Damping or Friction, I drove with friction enabled since I read here that it was the "best" feeling. Well, I'm trying very hard with the FR3.5 at essington, and to make it short, with "friction" I'm unable to lap, I just make too many errors. With Damping, not only I lap more consistently, it just feel better. Until I applied the Dripper suggestion to properly set the wheel, it felt very good even the friction option (I used it for months), but now I'm so confused. :) What felt the best before, now feel like garbage.
    Again I stress the need to have the most relevant setting of the FFB, avaiable in game, so we know what is supposed to be changed to improve the simulation.

17. TechAde

TechAde Registered

I do wish people would stop incorrectly surmising this about RealFeel in rF1.

If you couldn't feel the tyres it was because whoever made the .tbc didn't add enough (or any) pneumatic trail, it has absolutely _nothing_ to do with RealFeel.

18. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Your the first person to report that they are finding the stm is doing the opposite by causing deadzone. Very strange problem your describing. Wish i could be there to test myself.

I can't think of anything other perhaps some settings somewhere were added to the wheel for centering, dampening, spring, or something that maybe interfering with the STM.

Perhaps someone with a CSW who has made use of the STM can lend Axe a hand please?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2014
  19. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

I wish I could, but I have the same issue. The use of STM introduces a dead zone. It feels better in many ways than leaving at 0, but you get a very unpleasant dead zone along with it :(

20. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Oh....this is very strange. :confused:

Do you mean it causes more of an ffb deadzone with some of stm enable (i.e. loose/floppy wheel feel)?

Did you find the stm value that avoids the oscillation? And did you get an ingame ffb multiplier that avoids the ffb clipping issue first?