Guide: Optimal FFB settings for rFactor 2 - The key to being in the "Zone" :D

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DrR1pper, Mar 26, 2014.

1. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Yes, but reading the r^2 with the deadzone is not necessarily valid for those who do use the "steering torque minimum" function to remove the deadzone in rfactor 2 (also available in iracing). But otherwise, yes it wouldn't be useful for any other sim but we are here to talk about rfactor 2. :)
    Sorry, i don't understand what you mean here.

2. tarros

tarros Registered

sorry for my english
    i mean you can remove from graph 0 value for deltaXdg (dead zone)to simulate minimum stering torque working ....
    eg
    100%ffb= 5 value at 0 in deltaXdegree colomun(not in calculation of R^2)
    90%ffb =6 value at 0 in deltaXdegree colomun(not in calculation of R^2)
    85%ffb= 7 value at 0 in deltaXdegree colomun(not in calculation of R^2)
    80%ffb=8 value at 0 in deltaXdegree colomun (not in calculation of R^2)
    I testing also this option, but R-squared value doesn't change, so i can say that linearity is almost indipendent from dead zone
    sorry for involving other sims in this thread, but this is old study.
    i hope understand my thought

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2014
  3. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

oh ok, thanks for confirming that it doesn't matter for the r^2 value.

4. Max Benning

Max Benning Registered

Thanks for this thread! I'm racing with my old logitech MOMO wheel, but it never felt like this before.
    It's a whole new driving experience!

5. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

What's about the ffb smoothing?! is it better to keep it on "0" or "4" like in my case?! what do you think?!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2014
  6. jrcn50

jrcn50 Registered

Same question Wajdi...0 or 4 ?

7. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

I have understood that it depends on the wheel.

I have T500RS and I use 0 which was recommended by other users. But probably little higher value for G25/G27 users at least. I don't believe it affects these aspects of ffb that DrR1pper is talking (smoothing smooths bumps, curbs etc.?)

8. Murtaya

Murtaya Registered

Why don't you run a 3 lap race at LRP with each different setting to see how you like each one. You are done in under 5 minutes, it's long enough to get a good feel though. There is no definitive setting, it's what feels best for you and your hardware. I had a gt3 rs v2 last week and ffb smoothing of 3 felt good to me combined with all my other settings, this week I got a CSW and it feels different so I have to do all this again. Much like tuning a real car, you have to try stuff.

9. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

It brings a smile to my face to hear it that it makes even the old momo wheel feel much better (i still remember mine, it was my first wheel).

Good question Wajdi! I will add it to the new edits and into the meat of the OP.

For those who don't know what "ffb smoothing" is ingame, it is a way to smooth out the high rates of change in the ffb signal. Why would you want to do this you might ask? If your wheel suffers from annoying rattling in rfactor 2 you can increase the "ffb smoothing" value ingame to help alleviate the problem. But if you plan on using anything higher than the default value given to you by rfactor 2 (after you hit the "detect" button in the controller settings ingame which will configure an advised "ffb smoothing" value for your particular wheel) then only raise it as much as you need in order to reduce the rattling issue of your wheel to acceptable levels. If the value is set too high however, you are at risk of losing crucial ffb data.

Here is a simply demonstration of how smoothing affects the ffb signal (which i should add in this example could be considered with excessive smoothing if it were an ffb signal):

[​IMG]

If the rattling is not an issue or you have non, feel free to set "ffb smoothing" to "0" for the purest ffb straight from rfactor 2's physics engine.

Here's another graph showing the possible outcomes to different smoothing values:

[​IMG]

Murtaya also makes a good point to all that you should still do some amount of experimenting yourself so you see first hand in practice what each setting does to your ffb to get the most out of your own setup (including excessive ffb multiplier...try a value of "2.0"-"4.0" for fun and you will instantly be aware of the ridiculous amount of ffb clipping even on a straight....you need only touch the wheel and it's an instant 100% ffb force of resistance, lol).

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2014
  10. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

Awesome!:)

11. jrcn50

jrcn50 Registered

Thank you for this precise answer.

12. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Your welcome. Also added an extra graph to illustrate better.

13. Murtaya

Murtaya Registered

We like a graph :)

14. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

I'll tell you a secret.......so do I. :p

15. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

I hope that ISI put all these ffb options in the menu interface one day!

16. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

I must admit it would be nice to have "steering torque minimum" in the game UI.

17. Barf Factor

Barf Factor Registered

Yes that would be great. I have pretty much stopped driving other sims because they don't have this setting.

18. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Whilst I don't drive other "sims", I could certainly understand why.

19. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

As a case and point that everyone needs to do their own testing for each cars "car specific ffb multiplier", the newly released Karts are perfect (i.e. do not ffb clip) with the default "1.0" value.

The Karts are amazing!

Also, i wish to amend my advisement of "0.75" for the megane. It's too weak for my liking and i prefere "0.77" which does cause a little clipping but it's a compromise and you all need to find your own compromise value that your willing to live with. Having a little bit of clipping is not the end of the world and if it benefits you having a slightly stronger/stiffer wheel in general by increasing it a little, then by all means go ahead. Just no ridiculous amounts of ffb clipping.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2014
  20. Axe

Axe Registered

Hi

I am looking for an advice.

I played with steering torque minimum on Friday evening trying to find the right value for my wheel. I started with 0,04000. During very slow driving with hands off the wheel it softly rattled similar feeling when you go over the left curb in Silverstone on the old start/finish straight far more softer. I thought this is the mentioned "oscillating" so i decreased the STM value to 0,03000 and tried again. The result was the same. So again decreased to 0,02000. the result the same. So went back directly to 0,00000 and...the result the same, soft rattling:confused:
    :D I really have not noticed this till now because you normally do not drive in such manner also in pit lane you go faster and stopping the car is a quick maneuver too and with hands on the wheel (hands on the wheel dampens that rattling)
    so as a next step I increased the value to 0,10000 and then to 0,50000 but no change still during slow driving only soft rattling.

but it does not mean that the changing values did not have their impact on the FFB: I felt "something happens" very clearly instantly with the car stopped in the garage already. with starting value 0,04000 I felt the wheel more "independent" or "alive" - harder to turn the wheel initially with tendency to move a small bit back when released. Very very similar feeling as in real car, when you try to steer the wheel with no movement of the car present. with deceasing the STM value this feeling falling down but still present also at 0,00000 when everything was i am used to. but there were no so "big" differences between 0,4 and 0 the feeling was similar only intensity was different. but with high values 0,1 and especially 0,5 the feeling is different: the wheel is "heavy" and I felt like turning "the flywheel". Clearly unnatural/wrong.

So questions:
    - what does it mean the word "oscillating" mentioned in the OP in the article about steering torque minimum? Is it the soft rattling i observe? if yes, why it is present also with STM value 0?
    - how can I find the right STM value? Is there "scientific" precise way? Or just try and choose what I feel the most natural for me?

my wheel:
    Fanatec CSW, GT2 rim
    driver 177, wheel angle 900, dampening 0
    firmware 37
    on the wheel settings: everything off, except FF and FOR both on 100
    in game settings: I tried it with howston G6 65, setup not far from default, FFB multiplier 1 (usually between 0,7-1 depending on the car), smoothing 0, vehicle set on
    I use fanaleds but I think it is not related to FFB, just to complete the picture