Possible Skin Transfer issues

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Robert Gödicke, Mar 21, 2014.

1. Robert Gödicke

Robert Gödicke Registered

Some issues which I have (don't know if others have the same problems):

A custom skin will be uploaded each time I join the same server, even though I uploaded the skin multiple times already (and people were able to see it).
    I know that it worked in a previous build (I think 382?), where the server recognized the skin and the client didn't have to re-upload it again, so I don't know if the new behaviour is intended or if it's a problem.

Another behaviour which is different compared to build 382 is that in build 382, when a player with a custom skin entered the server and finished uploading it to the server (square became green), everyone would instantly see it when sitting in the garage. Now with build 590, the other players won't see the fully transferred skin until they leave and re-enter the server.

Additionally, sometimes my rFactor 2 client crashes as soon as the skin is completely uploaded to the server or a skin from another player finished downloading.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2014
  2. cosimo

cosimo Registered

I might be wrong, but I think the whole MP + join button problems are caused by erroneous skin transfers.

We had a race at SimHQ yesterday that clearly showed the problem. I can elaborate if needed (for ISI).

3. RJames

RJames Registered

There is certainly something up with it, if I join my server and there are people with custom skins it will download them etc but then I don't actually see them. I have to re-join the server to see them.

In some cases people are not even seeing their own custom skin yet others can?! Certainly not having any join button issues however.

4. MikeZ

MikeZ Registered

I would be interested in hearing elaboration if it's not too much trouble.

I just mentioned elsewhere on this forum that there are two known skin transfer bugs in the latest release: 1) the server never registers uploaded skins, so he sends an upload request to the client every time that client joins with a custom skin. 2) clients never trigger the vehicle reload once they successfully download a skin.

I'm working on getting this fixed up for the next release.

5. cosimo

cosimo Registered

I didn't have access to the server physically, so this is just what I observed.

We were about 10-12 users on that server, with build 494. This is a SimHQ server with a league mod with all skins built-in, so no skin transfers would need to happen.
    However, my skin was left out, so when I tried to join the server, I picked a normal Nissan GTR, and attached my skin to it by just selecting it from the Tuning screen.

As soon as I joined, something happened on the server because my screen locked up, and everyone else on Teamspeak started to say things like "Oh oh what happened? Server's frozen".

After that, I killed rf2 from the task manager, and tried to rejoin, but from that point on the join button was greyed out.
    The server was then rebooted. I tried to join again, this time without skin (or rather, with the default one) but same thing (crash + join greyed out + reboot).

It's only when I joined the server picking a car whose skin was already in the mod that things worked OK.

6. MikeZ

MikeZ Registered

Thanks for the reply. I'm afraid that in cases like this, the best option at the moment is to disable skin transfers on the server until we can release a fix.

7. canastos

canastos Registered

About skins, I would like to add a comment about an unexpected behavior; before build 382 things worked this way:

-I join the server, both my client and the server have skin transfer enabled
    -When a user with custom skin joins, transfer begins (red square)
    -After transfer is complete, square becomes green and custom skin is visible from next time you visit garage

But using last build, it happens that you won't see custom skin unless you rejoin server, even when transfer was successful, and you even can use the change car button to select the same car that is wearing that skin and see it when you are at the Tunning screen, but not at the garage or on track

byyyyyyyyye

PS: tested with Meganes

8. Robert Gödicke

Robert Gödicke Registered

Can confirm that canastos.