Two GPUs or one GPU - for rF2, Assetto, pCars with triples?

Discussion in 'Hardware Building/Buying/Usage Advice' started by Billy Pilgrim, Mar 21, 2014.

1. Billy Pilgrim

Billy Pilgrim Registered

I'm going to build a pc for sim racing with three monitors. I'd like to race with all settings maxed and at a high (90, 120+) framerate (e.g. rF2, pCARS, Assetto).

I'm planning on getting:
    CPU: i5
    GPU: Two GTX 780s at 3gb or one 780ti ?
    8gb memory

My question: would I be better to get two GPUs (two 780s) in SLI, or should I go for just one? (I want a triple-monitor setup)

I've noticed people saying in threads that one is better than two for sims. I just find that sort of hard to believe.

Whatever you've got to say about this would be of interest to me.

2. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

As you have mentioned Billy, there are a number of people that see either no difference or a degradation in performance when using multiple cards in rF2. The same people though have said that they do see performance increases in other sims using multiple cards. If you are only planning on racing in rF2, then stay with the most powerful single card you can afford. If you plan on racing other sims and playing other games, then get a second card.

3. Billy Pilgrim

Billy Pilgrim Registered

Thanks for your reply, Gearjammer.
    I plan on playing sims mostly, like 70/80% of the time.
    I have a question you may be able to help me with: Let's say I get two cards and I'm playing a game that doesn't like dual GPUs, can I simply turn one off so that the system just uses one card. Or is it not so simple?

4. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

You can disable one in windows, however there have been people that have said that they don't see the performance gain unless they physically remove one card. I don't know how true that is for every application, but it is something to consider.

5. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

go for single card ( stay away from multi gpu's) get the most powerful card your willing to spend on
    even consider water cooling it & some over clocking

6. Nicolas Pailhes

Nicolas Pailhes Registered

780Ti with triple screen ;)

Envoyé de mon GT-I9505 en utilisant Tapatalk

7. Billy Pilgrim

Billy Pilgrim Registered

Merci, Nicolas
    Have you tried a 780 ti with triple screens? If so, how good is it (with what games/sims)? I'd love to know.

8. Billy Pilgrim

Billy Pilgrim Registered

Thanks for your reply, Adrianstealth.
    I took a look at your profile and noticed you have a system that is a bit more (but not loads more) powerful than the system I'm probably going to get (which will probably be: i5 or i7, and one 780ti).

Could you give me an idea what sort of performance you get in sims or recent games? I'm especially interested in pCARS, AC, rF2?

I'd really like to know.

I don't yet know much about overclocking. It looks like it can cost a bit of money for the kit.

9. Billy Pilgrim

Billy Pilgrim Registered

Ain't nuthin' simple when it comes to PC gaming, eh? ;)

10. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

Running single ZOTAC GTX780-ti AMP!, great for 'real' Multi-View Tripples in rfactor2, Assetto Corsa generally performs better, no clue about pCars...

You'll however not achieve +90fps running Multi-View unless you compromise resolution, settings, and/or AA. That's simply aiming too high in a game that doesn't support SLI/CF.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2014
  11. Billy Pilgrim

Billy Pilgrim Registered

What sort of performance are you getting? How high are your settings? What kind of framerate are you getting?

12. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

Don't recall all my settings, but I'd say 85% maxed, 45-60fps (60 set as maxframerate) on Sebring/Night/Rain/15 AI @ 5008x900 - could go static 60fps without 'Multi-View', but that's just silly IMHO.

GPU@98%, temp. just 70c and fans at 65%