Ugrade AMD R6850 to HD7970 & framerate DROPS like a stone .....

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by jonrarit, Mar 18, 2014.

1. jonrarit

jonrarit Registered

Ok guys really need your help on this one.....

I know RF2 & AMD card have history but please explain this one .....

i3 intel running a 1gb AMD R6850 card & win7 (64) since the outset of RF2. I'm on triple screens but not running multiview and with framerate limited to 60FPS in the plr file, I get a pretty steady 60FPS round Silverstone with maybe a drop to 40FPS at the start (AI cars being run on a another server PC). All in all it runs pretty well with frames dropping only when there are big demands.

So I change the video card to a 3gb HD7970 and change nothing else at all in RF2, same track same settings everything and it's all over the place from 60fps down to 25FPS. It even goes down to 10FPS off the start line!!! . Latest drivers installed and card runs fine in furmark benchtest....... so what gives? Even when running solo round same track, FPS Is hitting low 30's at times. If I remove the 60FPS limit in the plr file I get 120-130fps in some places but the back down to 30 in others (passing pits etc). Same findings at other tracks too such as Brianza

How can a 3gb newer card be worse that and older 1gb one. Ok my system isn't high spec but at the very least the new card should be able produce what the old one did?

When the Graphics/physics histogram is on screen I can see where the graphics resource shoots to max & framerates plummet but am also seeing lots of physics traces which I believe are showing lag. Memory bar usage is only a third across and no redlining on the CPU

As I said this a back to back test. old card out new card in , no change to any settings ..... tearing my hair out at this having just blown 250quid on my new card.

Oh and the worse bit is the new card is a constant 120-130fps in assetto corsa

What am I missing here :(

jonathan

2. Marcel van der Linden

Marcel van der Linden Registered

Jonrarit,

Why the hell u bought a AMD card while everybody on the whole forum says its **** with rf2. Even u say it. I had the 7970 card and i am glad that i dont have it anymore.

I now have the gtx770 and im in heaven. No more stutters, framedrops etc. So bring back the card and buy nvidia!

3. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Did you uninstall and reinstall AMD drivers and re-run the rF2 congif?

4. kosmo1982

kosmo1982 Registered

i changed from nvidia gts450 0,5gb ram to ATI 7850 2gb and didnt noticed any increase in FPS , maybe even more jumps and lower min fPS and lower max fps and had to disable mirrors. If You changed from radeon to radeon then maye there is something about ati 7xxx series... i dont know

5. jonrarit

jonrarit Registered

Yup all drivers uninstalled, downloaded both latest and new beta one but both the same, no difference between them

6. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

Well, now tell me, how the hell you were able to run a triple screen with an old AMD R6850-1GB and even with a stable 60fps?.:confused:

7. jonrarit

jonrarit Registered

It took a lot of playing around and balancing. Main aid was to limit the fps in the plr file which in turn showed the resource fluctuations on the gpu histogram in much more detail. Also dropping one down from max resolution and definately not running multiview. At this rate i might be going back to the old card and will gladly share the settings if it helps others. I'm beginning to wonder if the older dx9 cards work better than the newer dx11 ones on dx9 programs

8. 88mphTim

My old 5870 1GB could do it, too. But only with LRP or older tracks, I would run out of mem usually when I tried anything else. This was using softTH way back when.

9. 88mphTim

Re-ran the 3dconfig, right?

I know nVidia gives a 'wipe old settings' when you install a driver, and often it doesn't really work. Does AMD have that?

10. Lazza

Lazza Registered

For a true back to back test you should take out the new card and put the old one back in. Just to make sure you hadn't made any driver tweaks etc that were removed for the new card.

11. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

Well, I have i5, 8GB, HD7950 OC'.........
    Graphic setting medium/high, no reflection, AA-3, no multi view and I can't even make it to 55fps:mad: now I'm going to kill my self!

12. osella

osella Registered

Dx9 cards won't work better in dx9 games than more powerful dx11 cards.
    The optimizations that were in dx9 cards are present in dx11 cards as well I think. The most powerful dx9 only card was nvidia 7900gx which would get about 5 fps in rf2 I imagine.

There's something seriously wrong either with your system or the card itself, generally 7970 runs rf2 very well. I have non overclocked 7950 and get stable 60+ fps on high. But I agree that if you were buying a brand new card you should have chosen nvidia for rf2.
    If you're sure the problem isn't in drivers/somewhere in system OR rf2 install, get the card replaced.

13. jonrarit

jonrarit Registered

If you mean the Rfconfig (where you select resolution etc) then yes re-run that or o you mean something else tim? AMD's uninstall is quite simple and seems to work well. Have tried 3 different sets of drivers t no avail.

As suggested by others I'll switch back to the old card tomorrow as a true back to back test

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

14. jonrarit

jonrarit Registered

The idea of floating the issue with group is to help troubleshoot exactly that (and i thank you all) however if the card/driver is suspect how do i get 60fps in furmark and 130fps in assetto corsa (sorry to mention the AC words on here lol )

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

15. osella

osella Registered

I overlooked that. Obviously it's not faulty card if it runs ac fine.

16. Luc Devin

Luc Devin Registered

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2014
  17. Shamrock

Shamrock Registered

My opinion is, OP was running older drivers than now, and we all took a hit after the 12.11 drivers. OP, try the 12.11 drivers.

18. jonrarit

jonrarit Registered

Thanks Shamrock & lucky06.

Will try lucky's setting first although the "software" sync look like the only really difference to what I've already got.

As for drivers I've tried with both 13.12 (current) and 14.3 (beta) with no difference between the two. Will have a go at 12.11 as suggested but bear in mind the old card was running the 14.3 beta drivers no problem at all.

After that, will take a few screenshots then switch back to the old card for a true back to back comparison.

Lucky06, can I ask what drivers you are using?

thanks again for all your help guys

19. MJP

MJP Registered

You sure your card isn't clocking itself down as you mention the graphics bar shoots up to full and you then get framerate drops. I'm guessing capping the frames at 60 means the green bar isn't always full when the card's running at full speed.

20. Thor

Thor Registered