Figured out why it's not too good for casual racers.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MystaMagoo, Mar 16, 2014.

1. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

Yes for sure if you like to race Meganes but other vmods and ISR servers are as emthy as other servers and ISI servers gets only populated when historic vmods are used.
    I think it is like Valter Cardoso says: "RF2 is not focused on average John doe wich want to click and play, its focused in RF1 long time users and leagues."

2. MystaMagoo

MystaMagoo Registered

Essentially that's the point of LAN,no internet.
    Maybe they could send a keycode when requested by sms or something?

3. ErnieDaOage

ErnieDaOage Registered

Too much info on the game even if rf2 would be shipped with a 500 pages manual where all the information is stored the usual 25% of the users gonna read it while everybody else is just lazy and keeps asking the same questions over and over again. Not really diffrent to a normal videogame with multiplayer features. Those games got all their tutorials when u play it the first time where everything is explained to u IN THE GAME. And still u get all those silly questions online where people are asking which button opens up my inventory, or which key makes me gonna crouch.

For me its like in real life with 3 options.

1. I can invest some time into the project and get the know how for myself with a lot of trial and error
    2. I can ask some people which are into the topic if i don't get answers by myself
    3. I can pay someone to do all my work (which for me is the worst option ever because it involves money, i still didn't learn anything and maybe the person is an amateur himself)

4. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

This as well indeed. becoming a regular on a server is a good option as well. Kinda in-between being a pickup racer and a league racer.
    We've had quite a few on our servers over the years, the same regulars would show up every week, every other week or whenever they thought we where using mods/tracks they liked.
    Some we could pull in to become a member, others just wanted to use our environment of more serious racing, regulated and adminned but still as free agents. a perfect place to visit whenever they felt like it.

The only dedication that requires is finding such a place which you can use. should not be that hard.

5. Emery

Emery Registered

As a lone individual, it's harder than if you have a couple of friends. With a couple of friends, you just populate the server of choice and usually collect a few others by the time a race starts, then the next race will collect a few more people.

By your lonesome, you have to be willing to sit on a server practicing for an hour and hope.

6. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

The community is just so fragmented. Is there really a need for as many servers as there are? It would be nice if small leagues got to together to make a large one. Personally I'd rather sit down once a week for a 90 minute race than a bunch of 15 minute races against people I don't know. But I suppose that's why the community is so fragmented, just too many opinions out there. :p

7. Luis Armstrong

Luis Armstrong Banned

all passworded servers are league racing running?

8. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

or mates who dont want outsiders.

I am in the servers for the last 3 years every night so I think I can have a view on this.
    I dont have previous experience from online racing, so I cannot compare.

I remember 3 years ago, people complaining about the empty servers.
    It amazes me that the situation is almost the same even now.

People (and I think the OP too) blame ISI for complex arrangement of the game.
    All I can say is that any sim Ive tried was complex till you spent some time on it, maybe RF2 is more so, but RF1 was not such an easy thing, and FSX was not a piece of cake either, GPL you need a doctorate to play it, ang I can go on and on. But if a complete noob on PCs like me can handle RF2 basics, what is the problem really.

Looking at ISIs membership, I see a tiny percentage of members taking part online.
    Maybe majority prefers offline?

Just saying...

While at it, I think attitudes like "we dont want noobs in our server" is tottaly wrong, you cannot advance without practice, and offline practice is a boooring thing (at least for me).

9. ErnieDaOage

ErnieDaOage Registered

I think that most people don't have a problem with noobs on the server as long as they race along the gentlemens code. I mean people have to realise that online racing is a huge diffrence to offline racing and if you gonna crash out half of the field online because u gonna try to take as much spots in the first turn as u can u are doing it wrong all the way. Same if you constantly get off the track and rejoin the racing line as soon as possible without giving a damn about other drivers. All tracks are big enough to go side by side some time and if its your mistake the car drives in the kitty litter u have to take care to get safely back on the track without interrupting other drivers. And last but not least u should know all the basics of racing, flag colours and their definition, when and where u get penalties or warnings and like someones signature says:"To finish first, you first have to finish".

I see alot of people online since 2 years where those guys are taking part on a 20 minutes race and they aren't able to drive 5 minutes without crashing out and leaving the server. People which are taking it serious are annoyed by such people and the last instance to avoid those people is to close the server. Its hard if you are looking for some people to race with but most of the larger leagues and communities have also some public servers and its in their hands to get new blood on their servers and make em stay. As long as you are racing on a public server with an admin logged in you are able to control the situation and get a better experience for everybody.

10. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

From our perspective it has gotten worse though, 4 months back we used to get allot of random joiners and regulars and it slowy decreased into almost zero.
    Only the build494 issues saw a small increase in joiners as we have little grey-button issues but that will wash away again after the fixes.

Not sure if that was aimed at my post or just in general but for us its always been about inviting all skills and experiences into our league. it don't matter if you're a noob or an alien, as long as you understand the rules and are reasonably safe, have fun.

The problems occur however when you are organising public races with a 'reasonable amount' of driving standards. You just can't have races when people don't know how to start, race, find the pitlane exit, asking a million questions about rf2 settings, etc. and then crash and leave.
    That's why we don't allow for instant-downloads because how is someone going to function on the server when they 'just' installed content? its asking for trouble.

And yes, we could go password the server but that's not good for the league, we still need fresh blood that we can coach and pull in if possible.
    Its always been a double edge sword and a balance between good racing and protecting your members from silliness and opening up to the public. can't have it all.

11. Tarquin

Tarquin Registered

The fragmentation of racers and drivers on servers is mainly due to the timezones that we are spread out across on this big blue marble that we call our home.

I'm +10 GMT here, so our timezone does sometimes work out with racers in Europe over the weekends, during the day for them.

Loved rF1 and have mainly been a league racing myself, but have been known to just jump onto an ISR or ISI server more recently.

Being a part of a local league or two can give you a better chance of having drivers on track, You don't need to run every comp or series they put forward, but many have 'fun runs' they race and most practice a few nights a week. You also know you will have polite people that uphold the driving standards and can race with without fear of being taken out.

I'd prefer to do alone laps around a league's latest mod/track combo, for the chance that someone else in the league sees it and jumps for some laps too. Our Admins normally have the tracks open to the public (except for actual race nights) with a working getmod to encourage all racers to jump in.

Nek minik - you have 6 or 7 on the server doing laps, Quals have been done and the 5 minute warmup is called for a 10 lap race.... :)

Or - Sort by players and hope for the best.

12. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

There was a request over at the league forum to devide into two forums, one for league's and their recruiting/championships/signups and one for single events.

Imo that's something that could be useful as I often get the feeling our/your fun events get ignored because people might assume because its organised by 'a' league so it will automatically involve becoming a member and then shy away from it.

More clarity might help a bit?

13. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Just in general, Ive seen too often people pressuring new guys at servers.
    New guys should be treated lightly, if not, they are driven away.

14. Luis Armstrong

Luis Armstrong Banned

I don´t get it then. In daytime i usually play rf2 i see a lot passworded servers with only 3 people running.
    This community is so small and people that usually pay for some kind of simulator is often mature guys that i don´t see need for this. It is not like PS3 or Xbox network.

edit: pic and forget to mention pay mods which i didnt pay and download ever fail
    View attachment 12025

edit: what a wonderful world

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2014
  15. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

All cars and tracks removes the need for mods, why they should bother you when using that I don't understand.
    Race series is the mod. See above.
    You don't need them. Surely that's the point you're missing. :)
    Why is it not a practical solution to not use something you don't need to use?

Yes you can. Again, why are you using things you don't need to use to do what you say you want to do? How does uninstalling content help a casual racer? Are you suggesting you need to uninstall/reinstall content before each race? That doesn't sound like a casual approach.
    Yes, they can be pointless, don't use them for things you don't need to use them for.

Are you suggesting that with rF1 you would remove mods before each casual race? That seems a very complex way of doing things.

I can fully appreciate that uninstalling content has an extra step, but I don't see how it relates to the subject you're connecting it with. It appears, to me at least, like you're making your casual race as complex as possible. No?

16. costamesa

costamesa Registered

I think what he was trying to say, at least the way I get it, as a casual racer you are trying to find a server to join, then when you find it you are likely to install the mod running in that specific server. then after a day or two when you are looking for some server again, you find another one but of course you have to install it too; because the server you found before is now empty due to lack of online gamers. so after a while you have a bunch of (now useless) mods installed and want to get rid of them.

So, sensible.

17. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

At worst they are 700KB ? what would it matter if you had 100 of them ? ....... unless you anal retentive. lopl

Wherever you put packages highlight the lot and uninstall or install all in 1 click .......... :confused: a single click ? lol

Tell me how can you do that in rFactor or anything else. :confused: lmao

Making mods with included content is a losers game unless you are a league or the mod maker.

You could have 10 copies of Clio mods bloating up packages 1GB+ rather then 0.5MB to 7MB ( 40kb to 700kb each ):rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2014
  18. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

So how horrific is it, exactly, to open mod manager, check mods, uncheck components, select each mod you want to uninstall, or select all if you want, and click uninstall once to remove them all?

19. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Two clicks actually, uninstall all and delete all. so yeah, that's 50% worse man :p

Seriously though, perhaps the routines regarding vmods are just not known enough. things are a bit unclear at times and I can safely say, having to learn things myself that way, it can get annoying.

Like I said before on dedicated usage, the end result is the same and pretty easy, just the route up to it is not (always)

20. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Like seriously yeahhhhh :eek: ......hehehe

It is like the " oh you must have all tracks and mods to join all rooms " ...........who is ever going to want to do that to begin with ? self abuse ? death wish ? lol ;)

1. If you offline I would be making my own mods, why not ? you can customize names and content to your desire and have little pictures in menu 'n all. lolp ;)

2. If you online and join public rooms you are usually going to find a few favorites, then room changes you will usually know when a new track is getting added , if not you check mod for content needed and get it.

Tell me anyone what is the difference between getting the same track for a mod change or getting it for a single track mod. ? I don't get it. ?

3. If you in a league, even less worry, mod and content changes will be looked after.

Either way it is still easy then downloading a winrar, extracting it to a temp, checking the path and content, moving to anyone of 100's of folders ( .......and you better not get it wrong lol )....then when you want to remove it go search folders or hope a uninstall shortcut don't stuff the rest of your sim folder.

Of the newer titles pCARS and AC they have all cars and tracks installed but I like the option ISI opened up of customizing my install.

Sure, I can go into both those titles and remove cars and tracks manually, what if I want them back ? Got to download the lot again or keep archives or all content.
    I am pretty sure any mods I would have to manually drop into pCARS and AC as well , more fuss.

rF2 system gives me the freedom to do either easier with less fuss the way I see it.