Assetto Corsa additional to my game collection

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by Thepharcyde, Mar 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. F2Chump

F2Chump Registered

I was just doing some laps with my GT Legends mod for GTR EVO, driving the GTO and that things feels fantastic.....but when I went into AC, some of the cars feel weird, for example, the GrA BMW sux hard, and whilst the DTM version is better, it still has a weird cagey/springy feel to it.

I sincerely hope these cars are simply unfinished.

2. JJStrack

JJStrack Registered

i have a confession to make :eek:
    yesterday i fired up pcars after a long time, because i was longing desperatly to fling a caterham around the nürburgring.
    even though there was an awful lot of understeer which i couldn't get rid of, and even though the current menu and the management of setups is terrible (rf2 is way better imho) i had quite some fun.
    But only for two laps. then it was enough and the wrong feeling in the physics was too much for me :p

3. pay2021

pay2021 Registered

You say it:

Assetto Corsa additional to my game collection

rF2 additional to my simulator collection

4. Gonzas

Gonzas Registered

both are in the same "PC game who wants to give a realisitic racing simulation experience" group, nothing more or less, none of them is over or under the other on that aspect.

rfactor2 is better in certain areas and have some great things that AC dont have, and probably will not.

same , AC is better on other areas and probably will be forever better on those areas.

so in case that you have a single monitor you will enjoy both of them with their pro and cons.

if you are a triple monitor player with an AMD, like me, you have a problem, because you will not be able to play Rfactor2, well you can, you have to turn off HDR,AA,reflections and probably decrease Resolution too if you look for smooth playlable FPS.

that give you a worst looking game than rF1 , and you have vertex damage on rFactor1 , rain (using external plugins) , HDR (using external plugins) and on some mods you will find better physics than rF2 and even better FFB (using external plugins) .

i have one 7970 matrix platinum, one of those who can make more than 1300 mhz on air , and i use safe 1220/6600 , it moves smoothly using triples very demanding games like ARMA3 , BF4 , AC , etc etc... but i can not play rF2 as i should.

rF1 looks glorious using SMAA x8 a good HDR plugin , rain and good physics, ISI did a great work there , thats why i bought rF2 and i will buy rF3 .

i have both on my game collection but sadly i can only play one.

Regards.

5. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

If I had said that I would have been drawn and quartered.

Like they do not like hearing it but post here anyways.

imho Assetto Corsa is trapped in limbo between worlds along with pCARS

That is what I believe at this time.

So respond how you like, I actually do not give a flying frig.

6. Panigale

Panigale Banned

The magic in AC and GT and even Forza for that matter is the illusion you could do the same thing in real life.

Lose a car at speed and it is not easy to reel it back in even for a professional:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dr1qfg6zo_Q

I've done a lot of laps at CMP and this is the part of the track that puts hair on your chest every single lap. The video above shows JJ spinning a Corvette at the kink. It requires full throttle once you enter to keep the rear from stepping out. Full commitment or you spin (unless you are going so slow the car isn't loaded up, then I'd suggest a new hobby). Even in a moderate sports car with street tires you enter at 90mph and then keep it floored.

The point is even someone who knows what they are doing can't catch a slide with ease when they feel it begin if the car is already being pushed hard. AC makes those that don't know any better believe they can do stuff that would give a pro a hard time. Not digging on AC but I don't consider it a sim. rF2 is my benchmark and it still inflates our egos just a little bit. :) *Tim even said rF2 isn't as punishing as it should be WRT to the tire model.

7. Luis Armstrong

Luis Armstrong Banned

I love being capable to make entire laps in a modern F1.
    But don´t spread the word. Some people around here think they are almost as good as some f1 champions. They even compare graphics lol

8. Silentsnoop

Silentsnoop Registered

what is realroad?

is laserscanned not realroad?

9. Silentsnoop

Silentsnoop Registered

peterchen is absolut gaylord

10. Luis Armstrong

Luis Armstrong Banned

lol, very mature... ahahah

11. Nimugp

Nimugp Registered

no, laserscanned is just what it is, lasserscanned tracks (which rF2 doesn't have btw)

Realroad is the evolution of the race track. Whereever on the track is driven, grip builds up, the more you drive on a certain line, the more grip it will have. This means the track is allways evolving to the way it is driven, and grip levels will be different everytime. Same goes for weather btw. After rain, the track will off course dry. But the dry line comes where the cars are driven. It can multiple dry lines, or one; wide dry line or narrow dry lines. It is awsome :D (EDIT: and it's both physical and graphical)

PS: Tim Wheatley made a video about that, about 2 years ago. I think the speed at which the track dries has changed since, as are some (a lot of) other aspects in physics/graphics section, but it still shows what it does ;)
    (AS VIDEO DESCRIPTION SAYS, THIS IS BUILD 90, SO LIKE I SAID, LONG TIME AGO!!!!!)

12. Minibull

Minibull Member

Except for the LiDAR Laguna Seca that I think is being worked on...and possibly the updated Silverstone, as it is quite stunning. There is nothing to stop someone using laser scan or lidar data to build their track, it is just a different way of modelling the track. Maybe ISI has some industry source that will give them accurate data on a track surface. Maybe they have found that traditional survey techniques are more than capable of gathering all the required info.
    The interesting thing with laser scanning is how much the track surface changes. With cold and hot weather along with different racing series using the track, you find bumps shifting place on the track, bumps appearing in previously smooth areas, braking areas getting heavily corrugated, etc.

13. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

The first laser scanned track was released for rFactor 1. jun. 2008

http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/512-Laser-scanned-tracks

http://www.bobstrackbuilder.net/laser_scanning.aspx

http://www.virtualr.net/rfactor-pro-laser-scanning-heaven

http://www.iracing.com/cars-and-tracks/track-technology/

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2014
  14. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Yeah they wish ;) As long as ISI is offering all tracks for free, I really don't mind not having laserscanned tracks. It's really quite expensive and with the cost of a set of good quality data you can probably have Luc or Tuttle churn out a small to medium sized track made from scratch if you're lucky. Some professional teams/vehicle dynamics companies/trainers/drivers swear by it, but 95% of the people around here are very likely never going to notice the difference anyway :) Also note there are big differences between ways of scanning btw, aerial, moving and static give you quite different results!
    You know you are flatly stating a shortcoming of laserscanning right? :p I mean it's totally awesome for what it is for trackbuilders but all in all, it's just a moment in time.

15. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

I do remember Motogp going to a certain track and all of the riders saying the grooves left by the F1 cars were horrible.

Catalunya a few years a go I think.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

16. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Sorry to burst some bubbles but that sort of detail is simply lost on home simulators. There is a big-ass difference between basing a track on scan data and actually driving on the point cloud. Even in AC and iRacing you are merely driving on a mesh which is only based on the point cloud data and therefore, all the cambers, bumps etc are really, really spot on, no question about that, but all that extra detail some believe exists in these types of tracks is something for the professional users with 6dof motion rigs.

17. Murtaya

Murtaya Registered

Just thought I would let you know there is an Ignore post feature in this and most forums.
    That is what I have done with your posts from now. Might even report your post (first time ever!)

It is generally accepted in the 21st century that the louder the homophobic shouting, the more likely the person shouting is terrified about being "in the closet."

Just come out Snoop there is no shame in it anymore, you might even become happy enough to not want to hurl insults at others for daring to express an opinion.

18. PMC

PMC Registered

He was banned shortly after posting . no need to report . I just hope it is a long one . Silent he most definitely wasn't , now he is :D

EDIT: Note the faded text of his profile name = Banned

19. baronesbc

baronesbc Registered

at this point I think many here are just prevented about AC.. if we talk about GT cars, put hard tires (in reality this is the compound that they use), sends the car in oversteer, and try to recover it.. it is much easier do it in RF2 ..

20. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I somewhat agree. I'll copy and paste what I wrote on a very similiar thread titled "Assetto corsa not a Pure sim" http://insidesimracing.tv/forums/topic/12562-assetto-corsa-not-a-pure-sim/

Assetto Corsa reminds me of the first 100 or 200 laps of my real-life F1600 and F2000 laps through a couple years, more than any other sim. In certain ways I believe it really is superior....

However....

After those first couple hundred laps, once I started really getting to the point where tiny differences in your throttle/braking/steering inputs can make huge differences (even dangerous) to the car's behaviour, learning how to brake even later than the point where you feel you have already braked too late and are going to head into the wall, learning how to really get the rear end rotated upon braking and initial turn-in, etc. etc. Well once I got to understand just how insanely sensitive these cars can be then I finally understood RFactor and IRacing.

If I never raced so long (probably over 700 laps total), and wasn't blessed with some half-decent skill, and only maybe did 50 or 100 laps then I also would have thought that Assetto Corsa was the be-all-end-all best, BUT, once I reached a certain area-envelope of what the car can do then a whole new can of worms opened up and it's a COMPLETELY different experience from the "I think and feel like I am pushing the hell out of this car, I locked a brake, i got some understeer" (but really am nowhere near the limit) type of experience. Once I got to a further level I realise that the more direct and sensitivty of RFactor and IRacings car behaviour modelling are actually superior, but only when really really pushing hard. In my opinion based on my decent amount of real-life experience that is.

The problem is that most people do not/cannot push cars to this area of their capability, and therefore will never experience this for themselves and therefore possibly won't believe when people say that in certain ways (but not all) that IRacing and RFactor car behaviour is superior to Assetto Corsa (not all the time) because they go by their own limited (or just not close enough to the cars maximum performance envelope) experience, and from that they gather that AC must be completely, totally, superior because they just can't believe that cars can be so tricky, edgy, on the limit, hyper sensitive to your inputs etc.

So on one half of car behaviour/physics IRacing and RFactor are superior, but on the other half Assetto Corsa is superior. The side that Assetto Corsa is superior on though is what the majority of people experience with their roadcars, or with a 3 or 4 day racing school course, etc. However for the EXTREMELY rare amount of people who have done hundreds of real race-car laps, and done them at a relatively competitive pace as well, then they should definitely be able to see the areas where IRacing and RFactor are superior as well.

So it's around 50/50, it's just that 99% of people won't experience that other 50% in real-life so when they experience it in a sim they think it's wrong and just can't believe it, and think it's overly & unrealistically difficult.

ALSO, not the pure physics themself, but PERCEPTION of those physics from the way you "feel" the car in a game can make a HUMUNGOUS difference to your perception of the physics, whether for better or for worse. AC does a good job with a very consistent car-to-car FFB feel, RFactor 1 did a horrible job with a consistent car-to-car FFB feel (millions of FFB options in the controller file + Leo plugin + RealFeel plugin + combinations of them, etc.). Feel, whether from FFB, visual, or audio cues, can really make you think a sim's physics are worse than they really are, or also better than they really are (not implying anything about AC or RF1, just saying). Our perception through these feel cues, unfortunately, can really affect our judgment of the pure vehicle dynamics / car behaviour of a sim.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.