Assetto Corsa additional to my game collection

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by Thepharcyde, Mar 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. F2Chump

F2Chump Registered

Kunos pays me 40cents/hour to promote AC, so when I have the urge to buy a 30cent ice cream from Mcdonalds, I race over here and earn my money....great thing about Kunos is he's very prompt with payment{though he still owes me 80cents from a few ytube comments I made a few weeks ago}

2. Luis Armstrong

Luis Armstrong Banned

Since i get often misunderstand, i will keep ironic mode of and say that i completely agree with this post.

And to be fair, the only thing i can say that can be compared to rf2 (since i´m too poor to buy another game and AC Corsa doesn´t have a Demo to offer) is graphics.

But since graphics isn´t the major feature you do have to analyze when choose a race simulator to play, but cannot completely discharge, from you tube videos, i would say that AC has better graphics than rf2. But again: pCars has better graphics and i will only buy this another racing title.
    And that is because i´m old and brain damaged and can´t handle too many different UIs from game to game.

ps: in fact, i doubt i will be able to learn pCars secret settings either because rf2 drained all my intellect dealing with plr files, modmanager, setting FOV and ini files. If pCars don´t have a click an play button saying that i don´t need the configure any **** anymore, i won´t buy either.

ps: now i see that you said that AC looks good.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2014
  3. sFactor

sFactor Registered

I own most of the sims both current and days gone past starting around NR2003. I think many here hit the nail on the head when they said AC and RF2 cater to different markets.

I believe AC caters to a much wider, more general audience than RF2. In it's current state, I would agree that AC is more simcade than simulator (especially comparing to RF2) and I think this is their target market. RF2 has raw simulator coursing through it veins but is being choked by the aging platform, e.g., DX9.

I do enjoy both depending on my mood. For RF2 I need to be much more serious and focused. AC can be just a quick romp when I don't have a lot of ambition.

At the end of the day if I could only own either RF2 or AC the choice would be very very easy. RF2 all the way. The physics and advanced features in RF2 will keep me coming back for many years to come.

I will say this though, all of this "Pay to Preview" crap the industry has adopted needs to stop. Kickstarters too. Too often once these companies start seeing the cash roll in product development suffers. Some of that drive to survive goes out the window and things often slow to a near standstill. Lazieness sets in if you will.

I am not saying this is necessarily the the case with ISI or even Kunos, but I have had my fill with other half baked products that I paid to only watch in disgust as the product ceases to evolve in any reasonable time-frame.

4. PMC

PMC Registered

Well , with so many opinions on this subject , some biased opinions some unbiased opinions and some logical opinions I have a couple of opinions myself .

Opinion 1 . Unless , in my opinion , you buy it , you will only ever have other peoples opinions and never an opinion of your own . Then the next time one of these opinion threads open comparing games you can add your opinion . :(

Opinion 2 . A little OT , but an opinion , you really should have used 'Da' instead of 'The' in your profile name , as it really doesn't go with the misspelling thingy you got going there . Just my opinion :p Maybe someone else has an opinion on that ? :rolleyes:

5. Nhra Racer

Nhra Racer Registered

Was really dumb to start this thread in an ISI forum! wtf! lol

6. marvelharvey

marvelharvey Registered

They're both great and I've not regretted either purchase.

The highs of rF2 are higher than those of AC, but its lows are lower.

7. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Yeah! That is named "dynamic" LOL! And rF2 has very high values!

8. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

It always baffles me why people have to pick a side..... ?

Anyway, I tend to jump around, playing as many sims as I can get my hands on. I find both rF2 and AC immensely enjoyable.

Literally the only Issue I have with rF2 is the mods and how they work. It's so, so annoying thinking "I'm going to jump on to rF2 for some quick online action....wait, no I'm not, I need this mod and that mod....where can I get them?!". Though, I accept, that's the nature of how rF2 works but the lack of a central location for content can be somewhat annoying. I know, for a fact, this has put people I know personally off from continuing with rF2, they just don't "get it".

Having said that, AC is looking to go down the same route with its modding and how online works. It will be interesting to see how they deal with this particular issue.

For me, the driving in both sims is great. I really don't subscribe to the "simcade" opinion of AC because I have just as much fun with that as I do rF2 in terms of driving and feeling.

Bottom line they're both great. I say support the industry, quit whining and enjoy the fact we have so many talented teams providing us with brilliant ways to pretend we're driving gods :)

9. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

10. williang83

williang83 Registered

but also some very deep low values....

11. Mibrandt

Mibrandt Registered

Agree 100 %

12. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

Hee-hee, not entirely wrong here...

But when rF2 delivers at peak, nothing beats it, which is why I hate to love rF2.

I have AC, but I haven't launched it since .3 update... When there's multiplayer I will launch it again :) Just like rF2, can't wait to race a friend casually again!

13. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

The way everything works in rf2 isn't too complex if you have time to follow this forum. You also have to use the product regularly so that you don't have to tweak things too often.

AC isn't too simplified either. It's a good addition to your collection at least with the price they have sold it so far.

Also rf2 can get boring if you race only offline but maybe that only depends on your mood.

It might be easier to access online in AC in the future than in rf2 but I wonder how will racing etiquet be like in AC when "casual gamers" find their way there. Can get messy and that is a turnoff.

14. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

if MP works i'm pretty sure public racing will suck and community racing will be great :)

15. Saabjock

Saabjock Registered

You must live inside my head.
    These are my feelings exactly.
    I don't know what all the fuss is about.
    I still own just about every sim since GP2.
    Some were great (GPL,GP3/4, F1C), some were just plain junk....but at least I tried them all with an open mind.
    I think rF2 as does AC have a place on most of today's computers. Knocking either is pointless.

16. Luis Armstrong

Luis Armstrong Banned

It is not about having two products, it is about put them in same category ( at this time).
    For now i´m feeling. about trying 10 or more times, online service in rF2 could be compared to AC.

17. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

No way, I spent the last year playing RFactor 1 offline, with no A.I. and on one and only one track, Toban Short regular direction.

I went through every stock ISI car, placed them all in order from slowest to fastest (according to power to weight ratio), not only every car, but every upgrade package version of each as well, GT4, GT3, GT2, GT1, etc, different models with different engines (some of the panoz prototype ones had different power plants and weights) etc., and drove them in order (slowest to fastest according to power-to-weight ratio) so that I could a huge list of each car's laptime...For what reason? No reason lol, I just love comparisons and gathering data lol (im weird I know).

The rule was it had to be 100% default setup (except for steering ratio according to my real-life wheel's degrees of rotation obviously, and the same amount of fuel for every car) regrdless of how good, bad, suited, or unsuited I thought that setup was.

For over a year thats all I did in rFactor 1. No opponents (real or human), 1 track/track config, no touching setup, just hot-lapping with a ton of different cars to gather data regarding each ones relative lap-time.

Once you feel really tuned into a sim and if the sim's physics are deep and dynamic enough then, like real-life, hot lapping alone hardly gets boring, well at least for me. It's not heart-pounding exciting/nervous as racing against opponents (especially online), but it's a different kind of extreme satisfaction.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2014
  18. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Hey john, I used to run a mix of RealFeel and standard FFB (edited settings), but after I reinstalled RFactor 1 I havent bothered redownloading Realfeel yet, just the edited standard FFB on it's own. I still haven't tried Leo's FFB, if you say it helped with low speed stuff that RealFeel wasn't providing you then maybe I should try it.

19. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Regarding Assetto Corsa...

I have lots of fun with AC however I do feel like there is something buried deep in the core physics / tyre model that has some over-forgiveness to it. Overall I still consider it a sim though.

There seems to still be some weird oversteer where it looks like the game is being over forgiving as if, at a certain point, the game is slowing the rotation of the spin down or almost holding it for you and saying "come on player, hurry up and correct the car better, I can't wait all day for you how much bloody time do I gotta give you". Also, once you get into a half spin the car sometimes acts as if some magic hand would come into play to aid the car in going straight and stopping it's rotation, as if the tyres magically gained 200% traction or the car gained 200% downforce or something. You still need to work to save it obviously, but it just seems....I don't know.....like it's 3/4 you and 1/4 the game doing it for you, rather than all you. So hard to explain.

Still seems like there is a layer of over-forgiveness, as if it's 90% sim with that last little bit of 10% being "softened-up" or "video-game-ified" or whatever you want to call it. I've noticed this since the Tech Demo, while it's still WIP, and while it's physics continue to change/improve from build to build, at some point or another this phenomenon that seems to come into play when things go wrong or start getting tricky, seems to always show up no matter what build version or car, it's as if it's buried deep in the sim's core physics / tyre model (sort of like some RFactor 1 tyre issues that cannot fully disappear no matter how good people work the physics / tyres, including the best mods and Game Stock Car).

P.S. I consider Dirt, Grid, Shift, Codies F1, etc. arcade. Gran Turismo and Forza simcade (or maybe semi-sim). Games like Need For Speed, Burnout, Midnight Club, Dirt Showdown, etc. don't even register on the list for me, they are just "pick up and play for a half hour or so over a few beers when a friend comes over just for a laugh" type of games.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2014
  20. coops

coops Banned

IMHO its a bit arcade like

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.