Assetto Corsa additional to my game collection

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by Thepharcyde, Mar 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Murtaya

Murtaya Registered

Yeah if they had a try before you buy or refund policy, you probably wouldn't get these threads I guess.
    OP if money is too tight to run the risk of trying AC and deciding whether it was a waste or not, maybe wait until it's not classed as pre release still.

The only people who frequent THIS forum are obviously going to think "rF2>AC" unless they are just looking for a keyboard punch-up.

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Yep lol

Bit like if you went to the AC forum and said "I have rF2, how does AC compare?" you'd end up with mostly 'fanboy' rantings and an argument. If you went and asked what AC has to offer, without mentioning anything else, you might end up with a largely peaceful discussion. Then again, probably not.

3. patsax95

patsax95 Registered

In some ways yes, in others no. Imo ac has better selection of cars and tracks and I also prefer the way cars drive in ac, but then again ac does not have real road, rain, night racing and all the other cool features rf2 has.. But really you should get them both and play the one you prefer.

4. Thepharcyde

Thepharcyde Registered

I maybe should have worded my OP better as compare is a better way of putting it.

5. Thepharcyde

Thepharcyde Registered

Sorry I'm dyslexic :) AC

Unfortunately you cannot trial AC. I was soliciting feedback from others hence post.

6. Uff

Uff Registered

Definitely better in terms of driving experience. We know though how much rF2 depends on mod used, in this case. :)

7. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

I think we (or most) are bound to one or the other. somehow humans can't resist picking a side and then go out of their ways and beyond to prove their side is best. its the same everywhere whether its simracing, football, politics, music, etc.
    Because picking a side implies not listening to others anymore because they're wrong. even if we know they're probably not. it becomes a quest of forcing opinions in an atmosphere where everybody refuses to even consider those.

And this has been the case since humanity left the caves so there must be something pretty fundamental lying underneath this strange behaviour.
    So much so that I think saying 'we are not bound' is just not true because we somehow are. so you are wrong Lazza and obviously I am right.

Edit: Crap....I fell for it as well :-(

8. peterchen

peterchen Registered

I think this "strange" behaviour has something to do with "being part of..."!
    Everyone want´s to be a part of a group somehow, needs advise and leading.
    That is human nature....

I love when this forum goes philosophic...:eek:

9. Alex_

Alex_ Registered

I own both, we are talking about € 35 each, in my opinion, for this price are both more than Bargain.

10. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Yeah it probably has multiple reasons, for example the need to be right is strong in us as well. because if not, we're wrong. can't have that can we? especially when we have spend countless of hours/days/weeks/years convincing ourselves on any given subject.

The convincing part is very strong as well. take FFB in any given sim. as soon as we 'decided' a sim does it bestest we will go look for clues, hints, tips and opinions from others which enforce our own opinion and at the same time marginalize points that oppose our own. At one point we simply don't want to know and have come convinced beyond help on the subject.

And the biggest benefit of that is you're always right about it. how cool is that?
    All you need to do now is try and persuade others to follow you in being right.

[​IMG]

11. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

hm think I made the same point twice.....

12. BlkJello

BlkJello Registered

Perfectly said!!

13. Mibrandt

Mibrandt Registered

I have both. AC is just solid and runs smooth and nice everytime. Updates by it self. Imo physics are very good and watching replays is a Real joy. The ai is not good by now and multiplayer not in yet. I recommend it without a doubt though. RF2 is a deeper experience because of Real Road and weather and if you hit the sweet spot its brilliant to say the least. But you have to hit the sweet spot which is too small atm imo. Too much time spent on fiddling around with everything. I dont enjoy watching replays in RF2 so much. To sum it up get both you wont regret :D

14. alpha-bravo

alpha-bravo Registered

Muaaah LOL :DDD incredible funny and ironic :)

Now serious. AC install process via Steam works easy and good because Steam is
    solid and stable platform.
    AC and rF2 aim to complete different goals (in my opinion) . Compare the both at this point is not serious possible due the different development goals and progress.

But why compare ? Have them both and my chance to get new features ore content is now doubled :D
    Think it's important and good for all (studios and customers) that rF2 has a challenger and vice versa but at the moment it looks for me that rF2 and AC follows different strategies. But as I said have them both and both are every cent worth.
    For now I prefer rF2.
    ISI sell a simulation and I've got what I've bought :) Very easy :D
    I have a couple of sim titles for most of them are also mods available some of them have integrated Dev Mode. None of this titles (ARMA2, ARMA3, OpenFalcon, MS Flightsimulator...) is "super easy" to handle (it's a sim and not a game no need to be easy, it must be hard and difficult as in real life :D)

15. williang83

williang83 Registered

Again this topic? A threat about new AC features is ok but a threat about direct confront is kind useless under all point of view. There will always be haters and defenders and among of them just a few unbiased.
    My point of view is that both are non finished product, if you really want to compare anything then wait for the final version to see which one met all expectations and got closer to real life in general. AC is totally under construction and you cannot judge anything there with a final sentence because a month of hard work dedicated to negative area might result in a game changer. On the other hand we have rf2 which is clearly still on beta for me but according to someone here it is not, it is just a software in progression (b******t for me, iracing is a game in progression not this one), so since they tag themselves as out of beta, opinions (pro or cons) are more justified for rf2.

Sure things are that ISI is aiming to pure CAR SIMULATOR instead of a full RACING SIMULATOR so as i already said no racing weekend simulation, no connection between sessions(weather, stints, engine wear, gearbox wear, etc..), no connection for AI drivers among sessions (there is no linear progression for AI, they are just random but they hide themselves behind the excuse of same car bla bla bla...so so so silly), no weekend racing excitement (the idea of knowing that the race starts on friday and as you get closer to the racing, mistakes hit harder thus leading to a higher tension), etc.. etc... etc.....
    So i really don't know what AC will offer but i surelly know that since ISI already let us know that they don't intent to implement any of these features and if we take physics out of rf2 we will find ourselves with RFACTOR 1.1 because all these lacks come from rfactor 1 so we still have the same game....so adding the physics patch it becomes rfactor 1.5.
    I enjoy this game physics but i get very bored after 2 hour because of unfinished features and lacking features. I try to race online but c'mon rooms are just empty and i surely don't want to get the responsibility to be a member of a league (cannot guarantee my presence). The offline mode just SUCKS, honestly if i have to race offline i prefer to dust out GP 4 and add mods, no doubt that it would provide me more entertainment.
    To be fair AC is boring too, much more than rF2 (for me no doubt) but they already said that they want to offer a better RACING SIMULATOR and if i have to pick between a car simulator or a racing simulator, sorry i pick the second one.

However rf2 together other games taught me a lesson, which is stay out of beta or you might get really disappointed.

PS: BY AC offerring a better racing simulator i don't mean that they will offer everything but against someone that barely want to offer a championship even a s***t is more realistic

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2014
  16. FONismo

FONismo Registered

Personally much prefer rF2 on and over the limit in race cars but much prefer the slow stuff in AC, a marriage of both would be perfect, GSC2013 is basically it but feels a little dated in comparison now in terms of features. Still today with a T500 rF2 feels weird in the slow stuff for me, but it's seriously still the most engaging sim on and over the limit IMO. Again though it's personal taste with things like this, AC has alot of hype right now and understandable IMO with the road cars but as a race sim i still feel rF2 is far more engaging.

If you can afford both then own both, they are both awesome, simples! Lola and Longford, say no more, best sim combo out there bar none.

17. RJames

RJames Registered

As others have said both are strong titles, AC certainly does have a strong marketing angle of which does help and being on steam makes it ultra accessible to anyone.

I have both, I enjoy both in their own ways. rFactor 2 is my defacto choice when it comes to racing, I like the feeling of the cars the dynamic nature of the tracks and the people around the product. It allows my community to have creative freedom over what we run and how.

Now as AC does not have MP currently it cannot be judged to the same point, however AC does look very pretty and has some great cars. It's also quite fun to drive around in, but for me hot lapping currently has little interest. Once MP is out no doubt i'll try and host races/leagues as there will be a market there for it. I paid about £20 for AC so in that case its great value for money.

I think we will see AC fit into a different segment of the market than rF2. AC i think will become the first GT/Forza like PC game, of which will suit many people but rF2 remaining more "hardcore" in comparison.

It's a shame that so many feel the need to bash another product, but unfortunate that's the internet of today. Just look at the BF vs COD arguments either though they actually cover different areas of the war gaming scene.

There will be a demo of AC at version 1.0 so my advice would be if you are unsure, wait. It's only a little while, if you don't mind spending and supporting a publisher buy it, its worth £20 as it stands.

18. vali

vali Registered

I have both too (and pcars if you want to know). At first it felt more polised and smoother than tFactor. Some cars are ok to drive and feels nice at first try.

Then I spent a few hours playing with it. I feel the lag in the wheel input and the control itself is less precise than rF2, sometimes it goes to slow-mo instead of lowering FPS, and the way some cars drive is just awfull. Now, with the last rF version (since 393 if you count the betas) rF2 is way smoother and the graphics are on par (mostly high settings, not max, in rF2) in my PC.

The UI is shiny and feel more professional than ISI's (sorry guys, it is the truth), but it is confusing too: sometimes I find myself trying to find the option I am looking for (I don't think it is intuitive at all).

There are some things I really love: If the real car have H pattern, you must use it too. Same with TC and ABS. They are on if the real car have them.
    And there is something that really pissed me off: They said "no discounts before the final version is out" and it is the 2nd time they have one. They LIED to me.

Wich is better? The one you use more. I think a few hundred hours in rF2 and about 10 in AC (BTW the amount of time I spent in pCars is about 1 or 2 hours max). This says it all.

19. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

My summary of available titles (just my own view)

Rf2 & Iracing both super undisputed simulators
    -Both tremendously good ( both have strengths & weakness's ) both feel very different to each other due to having different approaches to driving physics & ffb,

rf2 big strength is the dynamics of sounds/track surface/lighting & superior ffb.
    These things are not available in any other sim

Iracing strength is easy to setup/fairly optimised & consistent, organised online competition

I get a lag free experience (no noticeable lag) at frame rates above:

iracing 110fps (I lock at 121 & fps dosnt fall below)
    Rf2 55fps (sometimes fps falls below)

--------

Rf1 & Some ISI (rf1) based titles are still very good too (but becoming dated) GSC2013 currently seems to be some peoples main sim

Rf1 55fps
    -pretty much same for other ISI based titles

---------

AC to early in development to make any firm judgements but I suspect (due to trying it myself) that it falls somewhere between "simcade" & simulator , I think it will be successful as this seems to appeal to some (not to me) -a lot on the Iracing forum who complain about no grip in iracing ( I find plenty of grip in iracing so no problem to me ) seem to like AC

170fps (I lock at 200fps & fps stays at 199 rarely falls below)

----------

Pcars -graphics looks impressive (I've not tried this title) reading many peoples opinions it seems to lack simulator physics so I suspect this title is arcade or maybe towards the simcade level (again this only based on opinions of others)

Never had this title on my PC

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2014
  20. F2Chump

F2Chump Registered

AC is actually getting better all the time, and I think they're closing in on "sim".....slowly but surely many of the cars are receiving their share of attention and are improving.

Cars like the GT3 Maclaren make an incredible first impression and it's a sheer delight to watch those types of sleek machines in replay.

AC is miles away from being a simcade game like Dirt2/F1 20xx etc, but I prefer the driving models of GTR EVO, GSC, netkar and FVA.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.