rFactor 2 - How do you drive yours?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ForthRight, Mar 1, 2014.

1. ForthRight

ForthRight Registered

With the recent build having some issues involving multiplayer I was shocked to see how many people were reporting the problem, and therefore how many people seem to be using rFactor 2 online.

I've raced online in the past, mainly in rFactor 1 and F1 Challenge, but I have to admit I've never really bothered going online with rFactor 2 - I just assumed it wasn't really ready for this (or I wasn't).

I get the impression a lot of people are regularly driving the sim online, and even driving in leagues - this came as quite a surprise to me.

I've decided to start this thread as a sort of 'survey', just to see what each person's general routine is when they load up rFactor 2. I'm sure most of us try out new builds and content when they're released, but I'm mainly talking about what you do on a more regular basis - your go to modes of driving so to speak, along with the cars and tracks you find yourself using the most.

Personally I normally drive for an hour or two on an evening (if my free time allows) and I only drive offline. My main cars are the Skip Barber Regional and the Marussia MR01 - they became my favourite two cars as soon as I drove them and I'm sure they'll remain so for a long time to come (with the possible addition of a 125cc Kart). I tend to drive the Skippy around Croft and the Marussia around Silverstone.

Yes Silverstone. Since that track was released I've barely driven on anything else. I love F1 you see (despite the sports recent attempts to change this), and in rFactor 2 we also have a modern F1 machine to drive around the circuit. Of course it's the backmarking MR01 but that just makes it all the more interesting - the car's lack of solid aero means it's great fun to drive when you're pushing the limits (once you've got some rubber down).

Silverstone is simply a stunning replication of one of my favourite ever tracks. It's a shame we couldn't have had the previous layout too (which in my opinion was ever so slightly better), but this circuit combined with a fuily realised modern F1 car is like heaven to me. I don't feel like I'm driving a game anymore - I feel like I'm driving a simulator, just like the real F1 teams use in preparation for a Grand Prix. And it's all down to the quality of the content - the track is perfect (especially after the recent update) and the car feels as real as I think it's ever going to get.

So that's what I do - I load up Silverstone, I climb into my red and black rocket and I drive.

It's a testament to the sim that I can do this (and only this) for week after week without getting bored or tired. The accuracy and subtlety of the physics are such that I never feel 'done' - I never feel as though I've mastered the combination of car and circuit. There's always another setup change, a new line through a corner, an earlier throttle or a later brake - a more aggressive approach and a fresh set of tyres. It's Formula One testing on my terms.

Of course I do occasionally drive other cars (on other tracks!), and sometimes I even race the damn things, but on the whole rFactor 2 has become my F1 simulation. Yes I know it's only the one car and one track, but I'm still driving it, and still loving every minute..

How do you drive yours?

2. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Cars : 90% F3 Eve , 10% F1 Eve, BT20, Howston G6 and Lola.

Tracks: anything Historic

3. bwana

bwana Registered

Die from boredom driving Silverstone all the time..Just ok at 318kmh but anything else mmm nahh..

Go to tracks are the 'Ring',Ponzan,mid ohio, sebring, and a few more.

Cars anything that doesnt need a crank handle to start it.;) sorry durge.

4. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

hehehe mate ;)

5. Eddy

Eddy Registered

Sometimes i pick up a on-line ISI server, the one with the most people in it at that moment so the car doesn't matter in that case. But most of the time i drive the EVE F1 in the leage where i'm participating (SR4L, aka www.Simracers4life.com) we are driving a championship there and it realy is a blast to be part of that leage.

If i'm correct DurgeDriven is hosting a server also with historic content and it is realy fun to join up there also.

For me rF2 and the historic content are the way to go.....but that has to do all with personal interest, the modern cars and tracks are also a very good simulation imho

6. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Offline 90 percent of the time. 2-3 hours late at night, every night.

These last few days:
    Formula 2 on Mills, 24 AI at 100% for a 40 min race. Starting time: early in the morning.
    The racing is phenomenal and the track is gorgeous at this time of day.
    F2's around Palm Beach is also great! I was inspired by Will Buxton's racing experience there recently:
    http://willthef1journo.wordpress.com/2014/02/13/florida-winter-stories-part-4/

Marussia MR01 is a new favorite of mine also. Once I got to grips with the unstable nature of the car I loved it.
    Going for an all out lap around the new Silverstone version is insanely addicting.
    For me, this a hot lap combo.

The Meganes, the Skips, oh and the Corvettes too. Christ, all and anything I guess. The Brabham at Spa '67! Don't make me choose... :)

7. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

I drive rF2 more than I care to mention. hehe. Cars I have given some serious time are, Megane, Howston G4, all of the historic formula cars, godzilla, vette, Camaro, skippy regional and some national and FR3.5. I don't have a favourite track. I race on the ISI servers occasionally, Fun2Race, and I race regularly, for now anyways, at Race2Play. When offline I'm lapping by myself or against my ghost car. Very rarely do I use the AI.

8. ErnieDaOage

ErnieDaOage Registered

I drive online 95% of the time because humans drive other lines and doin mistakes when the pressure rises in the rear mirror :) 5% i'll do some offline testing with ai, settings, weather and performance stuff. I really enjoy the historic cars on historic and some modern circuits. And lately i really enjoy driving the vette and gtr on almost every track except the short tracks like euroring or mores and malaysia. But i really enjoy Portugal, Silverstone, Palm beach and Mills. Skippys are also great fun almost everywhere. Only cars iam not driving regulary are the civic and clio as i don't like those fwd cars and also f2 and f1 because iam kinda too slow for these cars. If i don't find a good combo online iam just looking at a random nordschleife server and do some laps there with any available car because its faster to get to race on that thing with joining a server than setting up a practice session offline with those switching mods and stuff.

9. Jamezinho

Jamezinho Registered

99% offline against the AI.

Modern tracks and cars. Preferably touring or GT cars but I quite like the Formula Renault.

10. Ruben Miranda

Ruben Miranda Registered

Hello
    I drive/race online only I think I tried offline once when my connection was down lol

Although I have tried all isi content and love them my main car is still f1
    But I am thinking and looking for a change just have not found it yet.

Now I know why I don't see you on line Craig you are hiding off line my friend. ;-)

Ruben miranda

11. Emery

Emery Registered

When the Howstons were released and the worst bugs were gone a year ago, that was the motivator for me to delve into rF2. Confirmed my old computer was not going to cut it, but at least I had a taste during the previous year. New computer is letting me take bigger bites and now I'm spending more time getting used to all the various cars. Very little online until I'm comfortable with an assortment of cars; once I'm a little better, I'll start popping into the pickup races.

My preference is for touring cars of any era, mixed marques. However, since the formula cars are popular online, I'm practicing with them right now. ALMS, CANAM, Group C, etc. will always get me excited.

Track-wise, I dislike most of the conversions due to their ancient graphics and thoroughly enjoy the new stuff due to the feel & graphics. Don't get me wrong... some conversions of old material, like Essington, are very enjoyable.

12. ForthRight

ForthRight Registered

lol... yes I am secretly working away offline in preparation for my triumphant return to sim racing! :cool:

Seriously though I should try getting online again, maybe in the ISI Open Wheel server (I think that often hosts the Marussia or Skippy). Unfortunately I don't have enough spare time for full on league racing at the moment.

Really nice to see you're still driving F1! :)

13. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2014
  14. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

80% online when I find a good server! modern GT, road cars and modern tracks! offline. doing only hot laps!

15. Axly

Axly Registered

Online only, or rather online, unless training a little for the next online event.
    Drove my first league last winter (megane), then a summer-season in the lolas, then again this winter with megane again. We are already prepping for next season, which most likely will be with the honda. Online is absolutely brilliant if you have a decent connection.

I'm only interested in simulated racing with real drivers, which means AC is out (not having either race cars or racing), and i don't like simulating running costs of real racing, so iracing is also out... Combined with the fantastic physics and ff, i'm happy :)

16. Knight of Redemption

Knight of Redemption Registered

About 50/50 for me. Offline for checking new content and practice, on line with two leagues.

17. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

I'm mostly driving tintops online, both GT and Historic. Atm I race in two leagues: United Sim Racers and simautosport.

Probably when the F1 season starts I have more interest to try open wheelers too.

18. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

I am surprised to see your surprise hehe.

My routine has been the same for years , practise on our server with league members, single or championship races every week.
    99% is online for me with some quick testing offline or a quick rubber-creating session for the server.

I don't even know how good the rf2 AI is tbh, I just don't care about non-humans :)

But then again, the last months in rf2 attendance has been rapidly decreasing, despite all the forum users giving the idea there's allot of online drivers, no1 seems to actually race online. 4 months ago we would get loads of people joining our fun events, these days not even 1 or 2. its pretty weird.

Even the Nordschleife events we throw in, the dedicated thread got 105 pages of enthusiastic simmers, no1 actually seems to be interested in running it online vs others.

19. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

Never understood the allure of that track. Personally I hate it. I dont' even have it installed. :p

20. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Enjoy your ban on these forums :p