REPLACED rF2 Build 494 Released

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 88mphTim, Feb 26, 2014.

1. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

You need to get a life. No, wait.. :)

2. Navigator

Navigator Registered

I don't understand; what does "FFB minimum torque" do actually? Lowers the torque I would say, but that can be done in setting/controls, right?

3. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

no. Minimum FFB torque does exactly what it say's....set a minimum FFB torque value so that 0% ffb ingame now equals "insert your amount here"% ffb at the wheel.

It's to overcome the inherent friction of our steering wheels in the first few percentages of ffb forces which you don't feel at the wheel. Which is why the ffb feels "loose" or "dead" around the center and can go super light (or disappear completely) in certain situations like during corners and braking zones.

This is really bad for your ability to feel the limit consistently if the ffb suddenly drops away on you. So you set a bit of minimum FFB torque to avoid it from happening.

If you use a G25/27 i would guess you need around 6-8% (which is a value of 0.06-0.08 in the controller.ini file). You may need more (or less) though...i don't have a g25 anymore to test for myself (sold it a few weeks ago).

For T500 users around 4-8% (i.e. 0.04-0.08 value). I use 4% because 8% causes too much unwanted oscillation. You may even prefer 3%.

4. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Banned

This sounds useful for offline too...

Does that mean you stay in the session? I don't do multi but sure would be nice to switch car types without reloading the track.

5. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Re. Min ffb forces

To add to to above comments

It can also be used to balance the gap between lower end forces & upper end,
    Moving the main overall ffb up will also boost the lower end forces but then the higher end may be to strong,

So the min ffb torque can be used to boost the lower end forces allowing the user to run with a reduced overall ffb,
    Thus the range in forces will be reduced (so be careful here) but more detail & less higher end strong forces

It's down to preference ( & hardware ), I wish ISI would have put this in the main controller options UI as opposed to hidden in the .ini file as it's quite important

P.s I've only spent about 10mins on new build so I assume this option is strangely hidden away in the .ini file. (From reading notes etc)

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2014
  6. baked bean

baked bean Registered

Thank you ISI :cool:

7. vali

vali Registered

Near the end of controller.ini

8. o0thx11380o

o0thx11380o Registered

Just tested out the new build. FINALLY the car shadow problems are fixed in replays!!! WOHOOO!!!. I watched a replay at silverstone and the shadows were there from every distance. The new HDR automation makes silverstone look like the official screenshots. Everything looks amazing now. Great job ISI.

9. DocJones

DocJones Registered

Had the same thing with all the servers I clicked (3-4) the first time I opened server list after updating. After refreshing the list the issue was gone.

rF2 does however CTD when I try changing cars on the server. It's a server running Hondas with Silverstone short (whatever that is called). I did try three times, tried switching to different cars. Always the same result, CTD within a few seconds. Will try reinstalling tomorrow and report back if that solved the issue for me.

10. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Yes.....so people who were using higher ingame ffb multiplier's to make the lower end forces feel stronger and to reduce their ability to feel the ffb deadzone of their wheel but at the costs of FFB clipping, no longer need to do so. Use the min FFB torque to increase the low end force strength and remove the initial FFB deadzone of your wheel completely. Plus you can use a lower (i.e. correct) ingame ffb multiplier now which means you can avoid ffb clipping issues which is really bad for your driving confidence and consistency (which made a 1-2 second improvement to all my personal bests before i realised the significance ffb clipping has on a drivers performance potential).

Andrain, do you need to use a min FFB torque? I know the bodnar is said to be very linear but i don't know if it has any initial ffb deadzone. I doubt it would but you'd know best. :)

11. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Hiya ,

what shadow settings are you using Oothx ? Also are you using tripple screens ? (Does this make a difference I wonder)

12. o0thx11380o

o0thx11380o Registered

I have all in game gfx setting at their maximum. I am using one screen so I don't know.

13. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Hiya drr1pper

I can run with min forces at 0 in iracing & still feel all the fine detail with no deadzone but sometimes I prefer to reduce the higher end forces so (again in iracing) depending on car I might just very slight up the min forces and balance it off by reducing the overall ffb so high end not so strong & lower forces / fine detail gets reduced back to as if setting was at 0

The trade off is less range of forces but with certain cars this is fine, as the bodnar wheel is very sensitive & strong it seems to changes a lot to small changes in ffb settings so I don't need to move the min forces up very much maybe to 2 or 3 highest but it can make a lot of difference to the high end forces (once reduced the overall forces) which can sometimes be a tad strong

Re.clipping Iracing has an indicator and the bodnar wheel has to be turned up very strong for clipping to start so it's not really an issue ( in the bodnar UI I have the wheels overall forces set at 33% above that it feels to aggressive on fine forces even when min forces set to 0 ! )

I am assuming that this ISI option is the same thing ( I've not fiddled with it yet in rf2 )

I'm really baffled why it's not incorporated in the rf2 UI except I guess it's more work to do for the ISI dev team, maybe it will be in the future.

14. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Ok cheers,

It didn't seem that much different to me but I could be wrong, maybe it's a triple screen problem ?
    I never use single screen but I might do a test, gosh I can't wait for the HD oculus rift !

15. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Oh, right. Well you don't need to do this with rf2. All you would need to do to reduce the high end forces is to lower the ingame ffb multiplier further below the optimal point.

edit: Shouldn't this also be the same for iracing as well though? I mean if you don't have deadzone issues then to lower the high end forces, just lower the ingame ffb value in iracing (just like rf2).

16. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

First post updated with rfmod issue.

17. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Thanks for the FFB explanation guys.
    This is a good thing; more feel at centre! I was used to that as my red momo didn't have the dead point, the G27 did.
    I got used to it, but always lacked the feel; now it's back! :) Nice, very nice.

18. BazzaLB

BazzaLB Registered

Just a heads up. If you are a 3DVision exclusive player like me, do not update as 3DVision is borked. Was identified hours after unstable release. Wasn't deemed worthy of fix prior to stable release. Not sure why they bothered with unstable tbh.

19. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Good to hear! :D

Out of interest, have you had enough time to test different amounts of min ffb torque amounts? What do you find ideal for your g27 so that others know to test your values too? Lastly, whats your logitech profiler "FFB overall effects strength" set to?

Make sure you don't have damper or spring anymore too, because that's what some people do to try to remove the initial ffb deadzone issue but not needed anymore with this min FFB torque implementation.

20. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

I did the autoupdate and this is the worst update for me!
    After the last Silverstone update my fps was between 55-70fps in high-medium setting(triple screen)! with this update I lose at least 50% of fps:( now it is 28-35fps:mad: and I still have no under-car shadows from the distance!:mad:
    Tomorrow I will try a new and fresh installation of the new update and I hope it gest better....if not I think I will be a way from rf2 for a while!:(