780 video cards?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by smbrm, Feb 24, 2014.

1. smbrm

smbrm Registered

Are there any differences between card manufacturers that are worthy of consideration, or are they all pretty similar? I know some may have different fan configurations and add on bells & whistles. Is MSI just as good as an EVGA? Interested in other's experience.

Cheers

2. RJames

RJames Registered

Personally i went for the EVGA model, (EVGA SC ACX 780).

Regarding differences between brands, some times they are much the same especially if they come with the same cooler setups etc. The only time i've bought a cheaper one in the past was a Palt which was a mistake as the cooling efficiency was poor so i've always stuck to brands I personally trust since.

3. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Usually just cooling, but some also have better efficiency of updates. I like Zotac lately. Last two cards were a 570 and 770 from them.

4. sg333

sg333 Registered

I bought the EVGA ACX 780, highly recommend, it crushes RF2 @ 1080p max settings.

5. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

I had a strange problem with a Zotac GTX 770 that would have stutter problems when ever i minimised a game and then went back in. The issue wasn't that subtle either...it was like micro-stuttering and the gpu usage graph showed an obvious change from consistent 100% GPU usage to it spiking around 95-100% frequently with each alternate alt+tab out of the game. I tested numerous times back and forth with my older card (gtx 670) which never had a problem. I ended up returning the Zotac, convinced it had to be the cards fault and bought a Palit GTX 770 and the problem went away. Could have been a unique fault or a brand issue using cheap components (which i think may be more likely since the performance issue was not constant).

I think MSI are ok but if the price difference isn't much, might be worth the EVGA as they have a very good reputation for quality components in their hardware.

6. 88mphTim

Hm, mine is fine with alt-tabbing. You sure minimizing didn't just bring another window to the foreground?

7. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2014
  8. NWDogg

NWDogg Registered

I went with a Zotac 760 recently because of the price, and I'm very happy with it. Haven't had a single issue...I would say that they kinda skimped on the cooling, but so far it hasn't caused any problems. Hopefully it stays that way. For the price difference between Zotac and other brands (it was nearly $100 less expensive), I'd say they are well worth it.

9. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Don't quite know what you mean. If i alt+tab to desktop and then alt+tab back in (or click on rf2 in the taskbar to get back in and this goes for any game for that matter) the performance would alternate between micro-stutter and smooth ingame.

I made a thread about it here: http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.p...confirm-a-fault-with-my-gpu-please?highlight=

But by your happy experience it could very well have just been a draw of the (un)luck or a problem limited to only Zotac gtx 770's. I did many tests and the only other thing i think i could have tried but was unable to was to plug it into another pc.

In short, changing it to the Palit version did the trick for me and it was completely smoothed out.

10. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

+1

11. ForthRight

ForthRight Registered

With current 780's/780 Ti's I think the EVGA's (SC and Classified) and Asus (DirectCUII) are often considered to be the best overall (mainly cooling, noise levels, build quality and performance).

I would recommend looking for cards that only require two slots, which both of those cards do. Some of the more extreme coolers require three slots and if you have an SLI motherboard with the PCI-E slots right next to each other you might not be able to SLI in the future with three-slot cards.

12. 88mphTim

I was just thinking maybe you had another program that had a window (even not visible) that when you alt tabbed, you weren't tabbing to the DESKTOP, you were tabbing to that window, then when you went back to rF2, rF2 was 'behind' that window. I had this issue before with stuff like virus scanners, Explorer sometimes does weird things with their scanning processes, and taskbar notifiers. Make sense?

In any case, might not have been that, just something I've had before. Usually it was fixed by making sure the mouse was on the rF2 window somewhere and clicking to bring it to the front... But that won't work if there is an invisible window of some sort infront of it.

13. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

14. Jamezinho

Jamezinho Registered

I went EVGA because of their reputation for customer support. Bought a 780 Superclocked ACX and don't regret it.

15. Edu

Edu Registered

I have a GTX 780 Zotac AMP! and work fine.. 1920x1080 max settings.

16. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

Single Zotac GTX780 on triple. Works like a charm. :)

17. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Tim, if it were the case, it would have been very selective in only doing so when i plugged the zotac in. I must have swapped it back and forth with the old 670 5-6 times before i bought the palit.

Whatever the problem was, i never figured it out but i was really happy to have been rid of it with the palit.

Looks like nothing but praise from the many here who like yourself are also using Zotac, so was most likely just a unique issue.

18. Edu

Edu Registered

What´s your settings on triple screen?

19. 88mphTim

Woah, looks like Zotac are way more popular than when I got my 570.

20. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

5980x1080 bezel corrected / Multiview enabled, HDR on, Video Vsync - FXAA off, AA 8x - 60Hz

Default settings on nVidia driver. No inspector.

All visual settings maxed out except;

Opponent Details: MEDIUM
    Shadows: HIGH
    Shadows Blur: OFF
    Road and Environment Reflections: Low

60fps on Silverstone with 20/24 cars on track with a min 54/56fps drop during start.

PS: dedicated machine; no antivirus running and almost zero stuff running on background