SOLVED Poorly graphics card?

Discussion in 'Hardware Building/Buying/Usage Advice' started by DJCruicky, Feb 22, 2014.

1. DJCruicky

DJCruicky Registered

I been having a strange problem for a while now with my PC when playing RF2.
    It's really odd, it can happen once every few days or twice in one night.
    When playing all can be fine then suddenly all of a sudden the textures on the track get mixed up.
    For example the tree textures could be swapped with someones car skin. Or the road could be ice blue colour or replaced with something else. Does not matter what track.

<----See PC spec. It's getting old now, but still runs RF2 fine. Graphics card = NVIDIA GTX 560ti oc 1gig

See screen-shots below.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Crazy yes?
    All temperatures are fine my graphics card remains below 50c.

Things I've tried without success...
    -Under clocked video card GPU and memory with Afterburner.
    -Increased fan speed with Afterburner.
    -Lowered graphics detail, including texture detail in RF2.
    -Tried with HDR on and off.
    -Unpluged video card and plugged it back in.
    -Deleted shadders in RF2.
    -Swapped my DRAM around.

It does look like the graphics card, but just want to make sure. I would hate to replace it and it turn out to be something else :D. I've not seen this problem with other games I play, but then again I play RF2 90% of my gaming time.

DJC

Edit:
    Yes, it was the graphics card. I replaced it with a GTX 760 oc 2 gig card and no more weird graphics no more. All good now :).

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2014
  2. MerlinC

MerlinC Registered

Cool - seems that your graphics card is having his own Idea how to use the textures ;-)

Did you try to update your graphics driver and reset any values of the driver you might have tweeked?

Sent with Tapatalk

3. datanode

datanode Registered

Could it be hdd corruption? Did you uninstall and install again?

Doesn't look like a temperature related issue, although that would be most peoples first thought?

Which I assume you thought as well ;)

4. DJCruicky

DJCruicky Registered

Thanks for your replies, yes it's a funny problem.

It's happened on two different hard drives.
    Tried 2 different versions of card drivers.
    No 3rd party plug-ins.
    Happens single and multiplayer.

5. Andreas Binz

Andreas Binz Registered

Crazy.. I have see this bevore (in other games when i oc my gpu)
    1.Have you oc your gpu?
    2.Which program run in the background? Afterburner? Turn off all programs in the BG.
    3.list your power supply inside your PC - how many W ?
    4.have you in the past oc your card (to much?) and the card is now defect ?

EDIT

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2014
  6. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

Typically this type of issue is related the graphic memory. It looks as though your card is suffering from at least one bad chip, or possibly a bad memory controller on the GPU. I would suggest swapping the card to see what happens. If you happen to have a friend near by who is willing to let you try his, or if you have another laying around. Otherwise you are looking at having to buy a new one.

7. DJCruicky

DJCruicky Registered

Yes, it looks like it. All my friends aren't into games, so no card to borrow to test. That would have been the first thing to do. I do have an old 8800GT 300meg card but I doubt rF2 would even load with that little RAM so not tried.
    hi,
    1. No, but the card does have a factory overclock on it. I did try underclocking it with no result.
    2. No program in background, the use of Afterburner was just used to diagnose the problem.
    3. 650w Antec Truepower (2.5 years old)
    4. Nope.

Thanks for your replies, looks like I will need to start looking for an early Christmas present for myself.

8. coops

coops Banned

Post what the problem was and the solution when you find out so others that might incur this problem know what to do.

9. DJCruicky

DJCruicky Registered

Thanks John, that must have been a pain replacing all them items when infact it was your PSU. It's difficult to know if that is the case with mine.
    What i have tried; is plugging both 6 pin power connectors from 1 rail into the card, and I also tried 1 connector each from 2 different rails, and also tried both connectors from the 2nd rail in card, all with same glitches.

Last night I tried rFactor 1, and managed to get same problem with that, so that is rFactor 2 ruled out.
    I had nothing to lose and tried my old 8800GT card, and that worked perfectly, no glitches. I even tried it with rF2 and that worked too to my surprise. Of course that card uses less power so can not rule out what John says.

Today, I plugged in my 560TI again, after giving it a good air dusting, but still same flitches and glitches :(. Another screen shot for the record :D...

[​IMG]

The card has a 3 year manufacturers warranty so I think that is my next step.

DJC

10. DJCruicky

DJCruicky Registered

Yes, it was the graphics card. I replaced it with a 'MSI GTX 760 oc 2 gig' card, been using it for 2 weeks, and now no more weird graphics. All good. No worry about PSU as John said.

DJC

11. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

Glad to hear you got it straightened out DJC. :)