New gaming rig solely for rFactor / 2

Discussion in 'Hardware Building/Buying/Usage Advice' started by du57ys, Feb 18, 2014.

1. du57ys

du57ys Registered

Hi,

I am currently researching a new gaming rig solely for rFactor for a family friend. Money is not an issue and currently looking at going down the triple monitor setup. He already has a Playseat with the Thrustmaster Ferrari F1 Wheel Integral T500. Looking to get a three stand pedstal for the monitors as well.

I'm thinking on the lines of i7-4770K 3.5GHz, 16GB RAM, a 256GB SSD, but uncertain on the graphic card / setup, being either a single card or SLI (as I've seen on the forum nVidia seems to work better with rFactor). I've seen the GTX 780ti has been recommended for a single card with multi screen setup.

Any help would be fantastic.

Thanks in advance.

2. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

You can't go wrong with the GTX780Ti IMO.

Oh and as far as SLI goes, from what I hear anyway, it sounds like a real pain in the arse to get working properly. IMO you're better off going with just one card.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2014
  3. coops

coops Banned

don't sli even tim will tell you that. memory buffer for triples the more the better

4. du57ys

du57ys Registered

Thanks for the quick replies. Any preference on brands running the GTX780Ti? Or same same but different?

5. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

I love EVGA. If you have any issues with a bad card they are one of the few manufacturers that will replace it with a brand new one, not a refurb.

6. coops

coops Banned

7. Jamezinho

Jamezinho Registered

That's why I went EVGA with my 780. ACX cooler is very impressive too.

8. datanode

datanode Registered

Same here, also due to the acx being very efficient and quiet. The SC model is very impressive. :) I have not been dissapointed.

9. cosimo

cosimo Registered

Hi, this is what I went through, from idea to final rig.
    Check the last posts for the exact components list and (almost) final rig.

http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/12780-Help-me-build-my-first-simracing-rig!

I get ~120 fps (with Lightboost) in almost every condition (capped at 120).
    Next, and I believe last, steps is to:

* try the Nvidia 3D vision glasses
    * buy two more monitors and place them on the existing stand

Feel free to PM me or ask questions in that thread.

10. du57ys

du57ys Registered

UPDATE:

So far my family friend has purchased the 3 x 40" slim bezel screens and a triple screen stand for this setup.

I'm about to place an order for a PC with the following specs:

- Intel i7-4770K
    - ASUS Z87-PRO LGA-1150
    - Gigabyte N78TGHZ-3GD 3GB GTX 780TI GHz Edition PCI-E VGA Card
    - 16G Kit 2400(8Gx2) G.Skill Trident-X
    - Samsung 840 EVO Series SATA3 250G
    - Corsair CC70 Case Gunmetal BLack Mid Tower Case without PSU
    - Corsair GS700-V2
    - Genuine Logitech MK330 Desktop (Keyboard + Mouse)
    - SATA Blu-Ray Combo Pioneer
    - Genuine Microsoft Windows 8.1 64 bit

My only concerns is, will the graphics card be able to spit out a full 1080p to the three 40" monitors at a high quality frame rate? I've noticed that a 6gb Titan graphics card is available for a similar price but based on reviews I've read, the 780ti OC runs marginally better.

All advice would be great before putting in the order.

Cheers, Dustin.

11. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

In this day and age, is there a reason for only getting a 250Gb hard drive? If it were an SSD I could see that size, but for a regular SATA drive, the cost difference isn't that much to get at minimum 500Gb giving you a fair amount of storage. As to your frame rates, you are talking about putting out 1080p to 3 monitors with a single card. If your idea of high quality frame rates are anything over a steady 45 to 60 fps, then you might be disappointed. In order to get high frame rates with a single card you might have to change the display settings to a lower 720p or lower some settings in order to achieve your desired frame rate.

12. datanode

datanode Registered

That is an SSD, you should also get a standard drive though. Of around 1tb in my opinion, depends what you want to do.

The problem here is that if you can afford the 500gb evo you should, there are minimal gains out of the pro? But I haven't seen real world comparisons. Is that worth it? Maybe... But don't think you will get much return.Not sure on that topic.

I think the evga super clocked ti's are better and what about the new cards announced or was I dreaming ? I think more vid ram is beneficial with those here, after all, running triples.

I think you will probably get reasonable performance with a 780ti, but speaking with people who have experience of a ti and triples is best.

I have a 780 and a single display! So have no clue how triples work and at what level. But plenty have ...

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2014
  13. du57ys

du57ys Registered

Thanks all for the feedback. RE SSD size, this rig is purely being used as a gaming rig only for rFactor, so no storage of movies etc will be done on this PC. Can always through in a 2TB later on in the mix.

I was more concerns about the graphics card being able to spit out reasonably good frame rates for 3 x 1080p 40" screens.... or is it worth going up to a 6gb Titan for another $50-$100. From what I've read, the 780ti's are pulling better benchmarks than the Titan though.....

Order for the rig is going in on Tuesday so please let me know asap.

14. datanode

datanode Registered

Well if you have the to buy next week? Then I would want as much GPU memory as possible for triples. Which does point more the titan route. However I think the ti is a better card, just nvidia want to see titans so limited the ram??.

Either way I think you may struggle :-(

I don't think the next batch of cards are far of a release. This may unlock more memory options. have you got a graphics card you can run for now?

I presume you are you avoiding SLI ?

15. ACSmall

ACSmall Registered

I never look at any of the links but I hope you get a heafty power supply for that rig!

16. du57ys

du57ys Registered

Yes avoiding SLI at all costs based on what i've read about it.

This rig is purely for rFactor only, for a family friend who wants a sim setup and i'm advising on all the products to get, and will obviously have to put it altogether. From what I understand, rFactor doesn't take that much memory to get running, so I just want to make sure the quality of image will not be laggy whatsoever. Its not like this rig will be running BF4 on the highest settings with a triple screen setup.

17. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

du57ys, if your friend was running BF4 on triples with everything maxed, he would get better frame rates than he would in rF2. The memory requirements are not that much, but keep in mind that any modern gaming system requires 64bit windows to function at it's best. The reason for this is because Windows 32bit can't address more than 3.5Gb of memory, and that includes the graphic memory, so if your card has 3Gb of ram, the system would be limited to .5Gb which would be an issue.