New nvidea cards

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by smbrm, Feb 18, 2014.

1. C3PO

C3PO Registered

Sure, no problem.

2. C3PO

C3PO Registered

VRAM is the issue I think.

3. Murtaya

Murtaya Registered

I don't get tearing with my 780ti on triples - you cannot hook up 3 screens via display port on nvidia cards as they only have one. So I have one dvi, one hdmi, and one displayport. The reason I don't get tearing and the main reason for it happening is when you are getting less fps from your card than the Hz your monitor is set to. So you have a 120Hz monitor and run games at a setting that gives you less than 120fps.

4. ForthRight

ForthRight Registered

Thank you. :)

5. Narrowbackwing

Narrowbackwing Registered

No I had it 2 dvi and 1 dvi to display port Active , I didn't know or seen a card Set up with 3 native display ports , was I missing something here ?

6. sFactor

sFactor Registered

ATI has the Eyefinity 6 edition which supplied 6 display ports

7. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

You said you also had a Matrix. On the back of your ASUS Matrix 7970 there are 4 Displayport outputs.

Ya I know how to eliminate, or at least minimize tearing, but with 3x native display port on my ASUS card I don't get any tearing just about ever. Not when my games/benchmarks are at 20 FPS, 50, 63, 78, 95, 155, absolutely never.

It's the only thing making me hesitant in buying a 780/780ti, or even an R9 290/290X for that matter as they don't come in at least 3x displayport/mini displayport versions yet. (A passive adapter going from displayport to mini-displayport shouldn't cause an issue as it's a simple passive passthrough so Mini DP or a combination of DP and Mini DP should be fine as well.).

Even when my frames fluctuate and I get all sorts of weird odd numbered frames, even when I turn really hard and the horizon is scrolling across the screen laterally, I do not get a hint of tearing. In any game, any graphics setting, any FPS, with Vsync OFF :) . It really is a thing of beauty, and a very underrated and under talked about "thing" in the graphics community.

I heard that it had something to do with DVI having different clock timings than Displayport or something like that, so when all 3 are native displayport (or mini DP with passive adapter) then all 3 are in sync running the same clock timings. Not sure what all that means but ya, that's apparently the reason.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2014
  8. Narrowbackwing

Narrowbackwing Registered

@ spinelli Quote - You said you also had a Matrix. On the back of your ASUS Matrix 7970 there are 4 Displayport outputs.

yep my bad didn't read it properly , I didn't have 4 Display ports outputs only 2 , and I got confused thinking you meant DVI Ports ,lol , not Matrix.

Gigabyte GV-R797TO-3GD Radeon HD 7970 Graphic Card - 1100 MHz Core 3 GB

9. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Haha no problemo :)

10. NitroStar

NitroStar Registered

I'm upgrading from an ATI 6970 to a nVidia GTX 780. I run triple screens at 6048 x 1080 res. When my new card comes in, will I be able to hook my 3 screens up like this?
    1 using DVI
    1 using the 2nd DVI
    1 using the HDMI plug but using a HDMI to DVI adaptor so I can hook it to the 3rd monitor.
    My monitors only have DVI and VGA connectors.
    Thanks for help and like reading y'all's comparisons.
    Oh and does nVidia let you do bezel correction for windows so it is corrected in any game like my 6970 does?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 2, 2014
  11. Murtaya

Murtaya Registered

Pretty sure that will work with those connections Nitrostar but I can't guarantee it as I use the one displayport on my 780ti. I know with ATI you must use at least 1 displayport to enable triple screen at all, not sure if it is the same with nvidia, never heard that though.

Yes nvidia let you set up a custom rez for windows if you want, with bezel correction if you want. It will swap between bezel corrected and not (if you want) I actually have to say the nvidia control panel for setting up triples, bezel correction, and custom resolutions is much better for ease of use and customizing your resolutions than the ATI panel.

On a different but related note, I have no idea how you guys play at such high resolutions. The variation and lack of fps absolutely ruins the feel of control in comparison to a lower resolution with a constant 120+ fps. IMO you can play games at less than 60fps if they are something like Assassins Creed or the Sims (lol). As soon as you need to have life like reactions like with a first person shooter or any type of simulator you need high and consistent fps, as high as you can get.

12. NitroStar

NitroStar Registered

I do get high FPS in Race 07, Dirt 2 and 3, GTR 2, rFactor among others which I REALLY like to play. I'm upgrading to a 780 so I can do the same thing with pcars and rFactor 2.

13. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Guys I am at a crossroads....

I have a chance to get 2 used 780ti cards for around $1100

- 2x used GTX 780ti (reference style :( )
    - 2x EVGA backplates
    - 1x EVGA SLI Pro
    = $1100

I hate reference cards. They have crappier cooling (higher temps + louder), also the 2 backplates and the sli bridge don't add value to me as I already have sli bridges (came with my old board), and the backplates are overrated and hardly affect cooling, I heard like 1-2 degrees only, also, unless you are using a huge & heavy card (eg. asus 3 slot cards) then these cards don't weigh enough or sag from what I'm aware of to really require a backplate.

Also, regardless of how good the deal is, in the end $1100 is still $1100.

I am really at a crossroad here guys.......

Current build:
    - 4930k @ 4.4 GHz
    - HD 7970 Matrix Platinum
    - 16 GB RAM (4 GB x 4 in quad channel)
    -3x VG248QE monitors

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2014
  14. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

1 gtx780 ti sounds good to me. SLI IMO is too much of a pain in the arse.

15. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Ive always had great results from multiple cards (hd 6990, then 2x 6970, then 3x 6950), always had great scaling even in rfactor 1. However this was with 1 screen and older AMD cards. I am definitely a multi-GPU guy.

Also I love high fps (120 fps/hz). I just dont know if I should go for it for $1200.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2014
  16. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

You can always buy a second card later to SLI if you're not satisfied with just the one card.

17. RJames

RJames Registered

Yes you can, my monitors are connected via 2x DVI and 1x HDMI. Just worth double checking the ports on the back of the car your buying to confirm. I also run 6048x in game with 150 bezel correction :)

18. Murtaya

Murtaya Registered

It sounds like an unbelievable deal to me. I would buy it and sell one card, both backplates (these are like gold dust always out of stock - probably because they are so crap) and the pro bridge (the lights on these barely ever work properly, the software that controls them is broke). You should be able to get nearly all your money back this way and have a 780ti for a couple of hundred bucks.. Multi gpu is a benchmarkers, miners, or mugs game. You will barely get any benefit from the second card, some software blatantly runs worse with sli or xfire enabled, in fact I have never seen a multi gpu setup run anything better than a single gpu of the same level, sure the benchmark figures tell one story, but in actual use with micro stutter etc they are crud. It also introduces another form of input lag apparently. You need a 1000+ watt psu. Extra running costs.

19. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Crap I forgot about the slight input lag with Nvidia SLI. Unlike AMD, Nvidia doesn't give the us the option to disable frame pacing :( . Normally I would turn it on for every game except my race sims, darn.

I think I am going to go for the deal.

Got another problem now....He said he would give it to me for about $800 if I also give him my ASUS HD 7970 (R9 280X, same thing) ROG Matrix Platinum Edition. That's like giving me $300 for the card but those cards normally sell used for $375-ish and lately with the AMD price hikes (darn miners) I see them selling for arounn $380-$430 even $450....I put an ad on craigslist for $450 but I'm also a little nervous on holding out on this guy....Decisions, decisions....

20. Murtaya

Murtaya Registered

If you like this sim, rip his hand off. I'm telling you if you are running it through an AMD card you have not even experienced it yet. Had a 7970 myself. This software -7970 v 780Ti -it is like a whole different world, you can have my first born if you do not agree.